Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You can still "fiddle with your thingy" - it's just a method of forcing juice into the carto, AFTER it's in the tank of juice...using air pressure from closing the thingy.

The Slap Yo Mama isn't hollow. It's just solid metal.

And flanged cartos can't be changed like the unflanged ones. I have several of both types so different ways for whichever I end up locating in this pile of chaos my room is in its current state....lol

Ugh, I need sleep. Someone tell me why I'm still awake? LOL

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
You can still "fiddle with your thingy" - it's just a method of forcing juice into the carto, AFTER it's in the tank of juice...using air pressure from closing the thingy.
It's just so easy to prime it first, though. Only takes about a minute then stick it in most of the way, fill the tank, and go.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
The Slap Yo Mama isn't hollow. It's just solid metal.

And flanged cartos can't be changed like the unflanged ones. I have several of both types so different ways for whichever I end up locating in this pile of chaos my room is in its current state....lol

Ugh, I need sleep. Someone tell me why I'm still awake? LOL

Yes, I know the SYM is solid. But that doesn't come into play at all. I also use both flanges and unflanged at times.

So I'm confused. But yes, it is late.

The only reason I can think it would not work is if you are using a tank that isnt reversible, Ie it has a set top vs bottom cap, and you don't have the longer tank tool that goes thru the whole tank. But that would be an issue for swapping even a primed carto out in a full tank. Or don't have a thingy that fit your tank obviously.

Oh well, no worries. Whatever works! Nite nite, I got to go to bed too!

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Yes, I know the SYM is solid. But that doesn't come into play at all. I also use both flanges and unflanged at times.

So I'm confused. But yes, it is late.

The only reason I can think it would not work is if you are using a tank that isnt reversible, Ie it has a set top vs bottom cap, and you don't have the longer tank tool that goes thru the whole tank. But that would be an issue for swapping even a primed carto out in a full tank. Or don't have a thingy that fit your tank obviously.

Oh well, no worries. Whatever works! Nite nite, I got to go to bed too!
I realized I got confused myself when trying to type what I was saying (whatever that was) and gave up in exasperation...LOL

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you can't afford a pyrex tank, the next best alternative will be a polypropylene tubed tank like this for $8. Pro DCTank Tube You'll have to buy the punched cartomizers (xl size) and a drip tip separately.

I highly suggest stay away from the polycarbonate (clear) tubed tanks; the polypropylene (frosted) are much more durable and are totally resistant to the tank-cracking flavors like cinnamon and citrus flavors.

The above tank is available as a kit with the tube, metal end caps, drip tip, and 5 punched cartomizers for $21. 510 Pro DCTank Combo

dctank.jpg DCT on eGo Twist.jpg

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
If you can't afford a pyrex tank, the next best alternative will be a polypropylene tubed tank like this for $8. Pro DCTank Tube You'll have to buy the punched cartomizers (xl size) and a drip tip separately.

I highly suggest stay away from the polycarbonate (clear) tubed tanks; the polypropylene (frosted) are much more durable and are totally resistant to the tank-cracking flavors like cinnamon and citrus flavors.

The above tank is available as a kit with the tube, metal end caps, drip tip, and 5 punched cartomizers for $21. 510 Pro DCTank Combo

View attachment 275082 View attachment 275083
I melted a frosted one. Just sayin'.

I haz talent, though.

nosmoke12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
wow, thanks for all the input!! just a question though, are most carto-tanks bottom feed? or top feed? I like my BCC clearo's, ever since I put a rebuilt atty in my PT2 I haven't had issues with it for about a week, and am not really a fan of top fillers, also I don't really know what "dripping" is, I haven't really looked into it. Do all the replacement carto's need to a have a pre punched hole in it? and would getting a "slap yo moma" be advised if I end up trying a carto-tank?

Edit: any maintenance things I should know about before possibly purchasing a carto-tank? Like can you soak the carto in water/dry burn/rebuild like with my EVOD and PT2?

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
wow, thanks for all the input!! just a question though, are most carto-tanks bottom feed? or top feed? I like my BCC clearo's, ever since I put a rebuilt atty in my PT2 I haven't had issues with it for about a week, and am not really a fan of top fillers, also I don't really know what "dripping" is, I haven't really looked into it. Do all the replacement carto's need to a have a pre punched hole in it? and would getting a "slap yo moma" be advised if I end up trying a carto-tank?

Edit: any maintenance things I should know about before possibly purchasing a carto-tank? Like can you soak the carto in water/dry burn/rebuild like with my EVOD and PT2?
They're sort of middle feed...lol They don't act anything like a bottom coil or a top coil. It's more evenly distributed through the cartomizer in the vertical center of the tank.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013

They're sort of middle feed...lol They don't act anything like a bottom coil or a top coil. It's more evenly distributed through the cartomizer in the vertical center of the tank.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are most carto-tanks bottom feed? or top feed? I like my BCC clearo's, ever since I put a rebuilt atty in my PT2 I haven't had issues with it for about a week, and am not really a fan of top fillers, also I don't really know what "dripping" is, I haven't really looked into it. Do all the replacement carto's need to a have a pre punched hole in it? and would getting a "slap yo moma" be advised if I end up trying a carto-tank?

Cartotanks are neither, an entirely different wick/juice feed system.

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

The heating coil in a cartomizer is totally surrounded with batting material. Holes in the metal cylinder allow e-liquid to replenish juice lost with each draw on the cartomizer due to negative pressure within the tank. This greater surface area of wick material allows for better wicking and more flavor/vapor production than just the string wicks of a clearomizer.

Yes, replacement cartomizers for a tank need to have pre-drilled holes in them, unless you want to go to the trouble of punching them with a carto punch tool, which I don't recommend. Tool-punched cartos inevitably cause the shaft to become oval from round shape, which can cause unneccesary trauma to the end cap o-rings. These o-rings are which keep the tank on the carto/prevent leaking/prevent flooding issues by sustaining the negative pressure in the tank.

Cartotanks have essentially no maintanance other than replacing the carto with a new primed carto when the draw becomes too tight.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

A tank accessory tool is indispensible for someone using cartotanks. The protect the o-rings from the sharp edge of the carto during assembly and refills, and make the whole process easier and faster.

Last edited:

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
so cartos really are so so much better than clearos?

In some ways, it's clearly superior. I have been using a carto for 3 days now, and it's much different from using a clearomizer. For the record, I still love my Kangers, I have my Mini on my desk right now with a juice I like to take a puff of once in a while (A strong black licorice), but using the carto all day. The number one selling point to me is it's a *consistent* vape. The most aggravating thing about clearos is you can feel the wick lose strength, and have to compensate by doing long burns to clear it, or doing a couple strong pulls to wake it up - the carto is good to go, every time. Vapor is about the same as a brand new head on my Kanger, which is my sweet spot, so I'm happy.

Flavor is number two. My ProTanks can't come close to the flavor. Period.

The downside is, I've already pulled the tank loose on the carto, and had some spills, and refilling is tricky, even with the newbie links Baditude gave me. The learning curve is steeper. You also have to pay more attention to ohms, volts, and watts, and make sure your gear is set up right. My Kangers have never leaked, and I've yet to have an issue changing a head out, or using them, and I take them everywhere with no leaks.

Cost wise - initial setup is a LOT cheaper with a carto, and new cartos last longer, and are about the same price as Kanger heads.

My thoughts, anyway, from 3 days of using one. I get them, now, and am a solid fan of them, but still plan on using my Kangers outside of the house.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
In some ways, it's clearly superior. I have been using a carto for 3 days now, and it's much different from using a clearomizer. For the record, I still love my Kangers, I have my Mini on my desk right now with a juice I like to take a puff of once in a while (A strong black licorice), but using the carto all day. The number one selling point to me is it's a *consistent* vape. The most aggravating thing about clearos is you can feel the wick lose strength, and have to compensate by doing long burns to clear it, or doing a couple strong pulls to wake it up - the carto is good to go, every time. Vapor is about the same as a brand new head on my Kanger, which is my sweet spot, so I'm happy.

The downside is, I've already pulled the tank loose on the carto, and had some spills, and refilling is tricky, even with the newbie links Baditude gave me. The learning curve is steeper. You also have to pay more attention to ohms, volts, and watts, and make sure your gear is set up right. My Kangers have never leaked, and I've yet to have an issue changing a head out, or using them, and I take them everywhere with no leaks.

Cost wise - initial setup is a LOT cheaper with a carto, and new cartos last longer, and are about the same price as Kanger heads.

My thoughts, anyway, from 3 days of using one. I get them, now, and am a solid fan of them, but still plan on using my Kangers outside of the house.
I don't pay much attention to that stuff except when buying the cartomizers and I don't have leak issues.

I'm pretty sure you won't find it so fussy after you've done it for a short while.

That said, maybe I just took naturally to it and had no problems where other people usually do. Hell if I know....lol

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida

Not sure what tank you are using, but you want a tank that has tight seals. It certainly is possible to dump a tank even with ones with tight seals, but it is much much harder. The only time I have done it was when I was trying to take the tank off...and misjudged the amount of force needed to pull. And both times I was a bit inebriated. ;)

Again, I dont know what tank you are using, but ibtanked is well recommended here. I have several myself.

As far as leaking, I dont really get any to really speak of. I get the drop or so on my positive post. Expected.

I carry my ibtanks in their included thingy directly in my pocket all the time where they bounce around, end up sideways and upside down, etc etc. I will sometimes have a drop on the top cap where the drip tip goes in. I typically have a 22mm ibtanked connected up to a battery now in an eye glass case which can be in any position during the day, and have yet to see a drop on the case lining when I take it out.

Filling. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but with a tank tool, it is almost as easy as filling a pro tank. drip tip off, insert tank tool, slide tank up on carto, fill with a dropper bottle, slid tank down on carto and remove tank tool.

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I have been really trying to love my carto tank but I keep reaching for my trusted Davides... I realize I am the oddball but I actually think my clearos taste better. Maybe it's because I like the draw more on my clearos? Maybe my cartos aren't the best? ( Laser Slotted Boge ) Maybe the fact that I like the looks of the clearo more? Who knows... I have been vaping Gorilla Juice in my carto and clearo for a couple of days now and I can't see it.. I am not saying my carto tank is terrible by any means but really the only maintenance I have on my Davide is dabbing the coil clean every time I refill. Sometimes I will rinse it off as well. I will try some other brands of carts in the near future to see if that helps.

Of course last night my Provari took a nasty fall on concrete and shattered my IBtank and scuffed up my precious :(

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
Hey Optimo, Whatever works for ya! If you are happy with the davide's good on ya. I have a mini davide that I have not touched in weeks though. I may need to do a classy sale of old unused bottom coil devices soon. lol

Of course last night my Provari took a nasty fall on concrete and shattered my IBtank and scuffed up my precious :(

But THAT!!! really sucks. Sorry to hear that!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have found moderate differences in the brands of cartos. There's basically three to choose from:

Boge - has a more tightly-wound polyfill which can make filling with e-liquid slower and more difficult, especially if you fill them from above like I do. I don't do the condom method because it is time-consuming, requires you to blow out the carto, where my method does not and its much faster but just as effective. I don't use Boges.

Smoktech - has a less tightly-wound polyfill which is easier to fill, wicks easier in a tank, but can be more prone to flooding with thinner juices. I use these as my backup cartos.

Ikenvape - these are my first choice. Better flavor production and they last longer. Downside is they are in limited production and very popular. They are often not in stock. I use both the 510-Fusions (have a flange) and the Platinums (no flange). Unless you have a locking tank that requires a flanged carto, you don't need a flanged carto for the vast majority of tanks.

Last edited:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Baditude completely changed my vape. Honestly. Every device I mess with now (I like playing around and tinkering) never stacks up to my Boge XL LR two hole, flanged cartos. Great flavor, zero maintenance, great vapor and last about 30ml of juice as long as I don't run dark colored juices in them. Still mess around with a dripper for dark juices, but my cartotank is always more satisfying. Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread