Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
blueGrassTubb, thanks for the tip on the cleaning out the drip tip! That really helped in all honesty, I was getting a proper taste of the juice in my mouth (not the usual e-liquid peppery taste btw, just the flavouring), now that issue has been solved for me, so it is back to being all good.

As for the overly moist vape in general, I did end up solving it (well it worked for me), it was simply at matter of fine tuning the airflow control screw, doing little quarter turns until the sweet spot was reached. Vape is fantastic now, so much so that I have had to order a lower strength version of the juice.

Really don't know which clone I have, but it is from fasttech and arrived about 2 weeks ago.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
blueGrassTubb, thanks for the tip on the cleaning out the drip tip! That really helped in all honesty, I was getting a proper taste of the juice in my mouth (not the usual e-liquid peppery taste btw, just the flavouring), now that issue has been solved for me, so it is back to being all good.

As for the overly moist vape in general, I did end up solving it (well it worked for me), it was simply at matter of fine tuning the airflow control screw, doing little quarter turns until the sweet spot was reached. Vape is fantastic now, so much so that I have had to order a lower strength version of the juice.

Really don't know which clone I have, but it is from fasttech and arrived about 2 weeks ago.

No problem!

It took me a couple of days to figure it out, but once I did all was well. I do it 3 or 4 times a day if I'm using one Kayfun heavily.

There are a couple of quirks with the Kayfun design, but once you figure them out it's easily the best vape I've experienced. A good amount of vapor (which shouldn't be confused with fog banks), and utterly amazing flavor.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with different wire gauges, coil configurations, and amount of wick. I could be wrong, but here's what I think so far:

for thin juice, use more cotton
for thick juice, use less cotton

For example, I used a juice which is pretty thick, and just a little cotton (slides back and forth with little resistance) works fine.
I then tried the same wicking method with really thin juice and getting the same moist vape again.
So then for the thin liquid, I make the wick as thick as possible (hard to slide back and forth, and needs to be twisted a lot to feed through the coil).

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Ok, here's an update on my Kayfun experimenting...

No longer having a too moist vape issue, now it's the opposite! No matter what I do (unless if I do a 1.3 ohm coil and set my Provari to 2.9 vots) I kept getting dry hits!

I figured, maybe it's the type of cotton I'm using. Initially I was using some random unknown cotton I picked up off a friend in a zip lock bag. Since that ran out, I've been using some Mansfield brand cotton which I boiled and let dry. I noticed the texture difference between this cotton and the cotton I got from a friend. The friends cotton seemed very dry and broke apart easy, while this Mansfield stuff seems very silky smooth. I thought that meant better quality, but it's probably less absorbent for some reason.

so....

today I picked up a bag of Swisspers organic cotton balls and Shiseido Facial cotton squares.

I haven't tried the Swisspers yet, but I just setup one of my Kayfun tanks (black) with the Shiseido cotton. For the first time, I used the fill port method instead of the top fill method also. It is wicking very well, I went right up to 4.3 volts on 1.3 ohms, and chain vaped with no dry hits. This liquid is very thin, and it is not too moist either.

I'm waiting for my other Kayfun to get empty and I will wick that also with the shiseido using a thicker liquid to see how that works out. Following that I'll refill both tanks using the Swisspers cotton. I'll keep you guys posted with my experimenting, but it seems that which cotton you use makes a big difference.

Now, I wonder this, how safe is it to use either of these cotton without boiling first?

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
I used to get the same wet vape in my Kayfun ever since I started wrapping twisted 28 Guage and triple twisted 32 Guage I haven't even noticed it happening anymore..... try that those are pretty easy watch rips twisted 28 and triple twisted 32 to see instructions

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
Ahhh, in reading your post I think that you have inadvertently helped yourself.

I get problems using the top fill method as well, so I don't do it anymore.

With the top fill, I would get the random dry hits - the same thing I would get if I overfilled it. It's suspiciously like a vapor lock - the tank doesn't draw enough air to replace the juice.

I don't know why overfilling/top filling does this, but it does.

Clark F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I didn't read the whole thread, but I struggled with wicking it. What I found out for me is to much cotton poor performance (moist, lacking flavor, etc.) to little and it burns up the cotton at the coil. It took me a few weeks to get it right.

What you want is just a little resistance when pulling through the coil, but not much. Put on the bottom part of the chimney, cut and leave about 1/8 sticking up. Take the tweezers and carefully push the cotton down into the well. I take the tweezers and more it around at the bottom to make sure there is plenty of room. Dab some juice before or after whichever is easier, put the top on and fill with your method of choice.

Hope this helps, it's a trial and error to get the right amount of cotton.

Good Luck!

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
Here is what I can tell you.
Many people have a tendency to use too much cotton, or not enough.
I also tried Silica, and honestly, it didn't vape proper.

There are video's and stuff to show this,, but I will just give you my Pics of my setup.
This thing will wick like crazy. Works great. Try it.
Don't Twist the cotton, just flatten it out a bit to a round shape
twist the very tip to thread it through
pull to center and cut to fit to the bottom of the deck right at the channels.
It won't flood, and I do Top fill all the time.
I had one flood issue and that was because I put too much juice at the coil wick.
Do it the way I show it and then give it a couple of min to start wicking and it will.
After that, no floods, no dry hits, top fill method.

Attachments

• WP_20140622_17_23_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140622_17_23_05_Pro.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
  • WP_20140622_17_12_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140622_17_12_19_Pro.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20140622_17_27_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140622_17_27_12_Pro.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 88
  • WP_20140622_17_31_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140622_17_31_54_Pro.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 77
  • WP_20140622_17_32_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140622_17_32_21_Pro.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 72

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
Keep in mind that I referring to the Kayfun v3.1 ES, not the Kayfun Lite.
The Kayfun Lite (I do not own one) are reported a lot as leaking.

about half way up the chimney tube,
Hold finger over air hole
Put the top cap on and firmly start screwing it down
once you think the o-rings are sealing, turn it upside down

wait for juice to drain down and finish screwing closed.
release air hole finger and flip over and place on Mod

I leave it on it's side and even almost empty not a single leak or flood.

I am truly impressed with the build of the Kayfun 3.1 ES ,,, even my clones.
the flavor, efficiency of use and delivery of vapor are probably one of the best in class.

Note:
I also use a thick juice,, I am a 20/80 person. the thinnest I will generally go is 30/70 juice.
So, as stated previously, you may need to use a bit more cotton, but I would not use too much.

Also, I think the bottom chamber of the 3.1 ES plays a big roll in how it handles everything.

Last edited:

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
Yup same method I use.

As far as which one, I have the Kayfun 3.1, my "Lite" is the Russian 91%.

Both have the same problem, at the same frequency(once out of four or five fills), for me if I top fill, unless I stop when the barrel of the chimney is covered by about an eight of an inch...which leaves the tank about a quarter empty.

Also, the leaking issue is solved on both the KFL/Russian by putting the little rubber washer that is included in the spare parts pack (or on the screwdriver provided) on the fill screw. (this is a well known fix)

It's really nitpicking, though. Bottom filling works perfectly, unless it's overfilled, and complaining about a quarter of the tank empty is silly as well - I brought it up just to be sure that he wasn't encountering his problem due to this.

PS

How easy is it to keep that white ProVari clean?

I am thinking of getting the wife the new white fading to pink Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread