The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Another study yet again - this time a slightly different twist

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Impulso, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Impulso

Impulso Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    We knew that metal flakes Ni was a potential issue. It’s why you can’t dry burn Ti. What confuses me is where the lead came from. There shouldn’t BE any lead. Period. The Ni would be easy as would the Cr. Just dry burn nichrome wire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BoogaWu

BoogaWu Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Lakewood, CO
    Most of the alloy charts for metals have a like .1% category for other metals, even for stuff like blade steels and precious metals. I haven't had time to go through the whole paper, but there is lead in everything, even tap water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    So a couple of points of interest. First the only wire material they state to have tested was Kanthal, so this may not even apply to other types, especially SS. Second they noticed higher concentrations with MORE frequent coil changes. This is opposite of everything we have been thinking thus far, with us previously thinking that cleaning and reusing a coil is worse than replacing it. It seems the opposite is in fact true. I would like to see them repeat the test using SS316L. If it is leeching anywhere near as bad, then we need to seriously need to rethink our cookware.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    This wasn't a study of any particular coil material(s). The researchers recruited vapers and had them bring in their devices and e-liquid. They asked the participants what their coils were made of. Some answered Kanthal while others stated they didn't know. Thus it seems likely that a substantial number of participants were using pre-built coil assemblies. Given the origin of virtually all such pre-built assemblies, I'm not terribly surprised that unexpected metals were found...

• Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.