Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Why wouldn't they? VG is cheap, flavoring is cheap, since they deal with tobacco, nicotine concentrate is, well, cheap. They wouldn't have to blow so much money on lawsuits or lawyers. Smoking is on its way out with all the bans! Look at how much money we put out on the latest and greatest mods, batteries, atomizers, odds and ends! BT in my opinion, could thrive on e cigs, if they put quality in their product. Instead of pickers and a huge plant, all they need are mixers, machinists, and electricians.

If Big Oil could corner the entire green energy industry do you really think they would produce anything "green" worth using and at a cost that made it accessible? Of course not. They want you buying oil the same way BigT wants you buying their primary cash cow products.

IF BigT does in fact decide to keep the eCig market going they will make it MORE expensive than analogs once again driving many back to analogs to save money.

Last edited:

MartiP

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
San Antonio, TX, USA
If Big Oil could corner the entire green energy industry do you really think they would produce anything "green" worth using and at a cost that made it accessible? Of course not. They want you buying oil the same way BigT wants you buying their primary cash cow products.

Innovations in alternative energy, just like innovations in nicotine delivery, will come from some private entreperneur in his garage/workshop. And just like ecigs, existing industry will work with govt to offer useless, carefully controlled "green tech" (just like useless patches and gum) but stamp the really effective thing the hell out before it can get off the ground. Not because they are *evil*, but just because they are self-interested normal human beings and that's where their interest lies.

The only thing that might help us, here, is if one of the smaller tobacco companies decides to buck the trend and get on board with a new direction bigtime, so as to cut out the others. If all of Big Tobacco bands together to do something, it portends bad news for us. As a group, they will protect the status quo. Individually, they could possibly knife each other, which would be better.

*Takes off her cold hard cynic hat (which is almost always proven right), and takes a looong vape.* Confusion and infighting to the Enemy!

Johnny Skillish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Rhode Island
I just saw a commercial on our local weather station that basically said to stay away from e-cigs and stick with nic gum and the patch because of contaminates found in e-cigs. http ://www. accuweather.com/en/weather-video/video-smoke-alert-the-hidden-dangers-of-e-cigarettes/1708382397"]Smoke Alert: The Hidden Dangers of E-Cigarettes - AccuWeather. com this may be old news but i thought i would share for the newer people. FDA, the Gov and big tobacco are getting scared

On the local weather?! wow!

They're desperately trying to slow things down so they can catch up with new bills, laws, etc...and not continue losing their "customers"!

This infuriates me more and more as I'm typing!

I guess "smoking causes CANCER!" isn't as dangerous?!?! UNBELIEVABLE!

My Father and Grandfather died from cancer as a DIRECT RESULT of smoking!

I would too if ecigs weren't available to me in helping me to try and quit altogether.

What I wouldn't give to have just one more day with my Father if these were around for him when he was still alive...

-JS :confused:

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
Pulled this link from another thread but for anyone that thinks regulating eJuice will be beneficial just look at what regulations did for the tobacco industry:
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes

Do you REALLY want the same laws to apply to your juice?

"While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested."
It's the exact same things with ecigs, food additives, no long term inhalation study.

Additives were added for longevity of the analog and to sweeten them, because when tobacco is burned it tastes like .... Ejuice does not suffer from these issues.

SilverCloud

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Central Fl. USA.
I just saw a commercial on our local weather station that basically said to stay away from e-cigs and stick with nic gum and the patch because of contaminates found in e-cigs. http ://www. accuweather.com/en/weather-video/video-smoke-alert-the-hidden-dangers-of-e-cigarettes/1708382397"]Smoke Alert: The Hidden Dangers of E-Cigarettes - AccuWeather. com this may be old news but i thought i would share for the newer people. FDA, the Gov and big tobacco are getting scared

Ahhh....so the propaganda campaign continues! And...on a weather channel as well, where one would least expect it. :confused: Brilliant. Brought to you, courtesy of your wonderful caring friends at Big Tobacco that obviously miss us so. Makers of a myriad of fine cancerous products. And it wouldn't surprise me if our cash-strapped "government" had a hand in it too.... ;)

Bri

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If it becomes regulated, then BigT WILL BE the only ones able to produce it....and they will NOT produce it at all. Why would they? By not producing it, it would drive a lot of us back to their primary product.

It is Kinda Hard to get Tooth Paste back into the Tube once it is Out.

BT will/has entered the e-Cigarette Market because there are Profits to be Made.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA

If BigT does in fact decide to keep the eCig market going they will make it MORE expensive than analogs once again driving many back to analogs to save money.

Yes, they will go green on this. The reason why is because it's more profitable, it's less expensive and easier to manufacture and produce, yeilding higher divedends.

Ejuice equates into a cigarette and a lighter to equates into a mod to make use of the product. There is so much more revenue just to be made on the mechanical product end of ecigs.

Cornering the market types of systems and practices in use has nothing to do with a "green or dirty market", it comes down to return on investment. If enough people are in favor of a green system, but the sales/investment of these products doesn't flood the market there is no need to corner it. No BT company would ever push back people to their primary product, mainly because the ecig market is a billion dollar industry and lose a lot of customers to other nicotine replacement systems. What they would do is adapt and offer it along side a primary product. It's like Mcdonalds having a fatty greasy hamburger and now offering a healthy salad for a substitute. People demand it and are willing to pay for the cost of it.

It will be very hard for BT to raise the prices on any products used by the ecig community because the ease of manufacturing one is very simple. PG,VG, Nicotine and flavoring is also readily availiable. The only way they would able to raise prices would be to have the FDA put tighter restrictions on the sale and production of nicotine. It's more likely they would pursue a cheaper model to undercut all the internet sales / small business B&Ms and make it more readilbly availiable for consumers in high volume retail B&Ms.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

It will be very hard for BT to raise the prices on any products used by the ecig community because the ease of manufacturing one is very simple. PG,VG, Nicotine and flavoring is also readily availiable. The only way they would able to raise prices would be to have the FDA to put tighter restrictions on the sale and production of nicotine. ...

Isn't having Tighter Restrictions on who can Buy and Who can Sell Nicotine Base the Next Logical Progression?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yes, they will go green on this. The reason why is because it's more profitable, it's less expensive and easier to manufacture and produce, yeilding higher divedends.

I hope you are talking about eCigs here and not Big Oil going green. Green energy is NOT cheaper or easier to manufacture or produce.

Ejuice equates into a cigarette and a lighter to equates into a mod to make use of the product. There is so much more revenue just to be made on the mechanical product end of ecigs.

Cornering the market types of systems and practices in use has nothing to do with a "green or dirty market", it comes down to return on investment. If enough people are in favor of a green system, but the sales/investment of these products doesn't flood the market there is no need to corner it. No BT company would ever push back people to their primary product, mainly because the ecig market is a billion dollar industry and lose a lot of customers to other nicotine replacement systems. What they would do is adapt and offer it along side a primary product. It's like Mcdonalds having a fatty greasy hamburger and now offering a healthy salad for a substitute. People demand it and are willing to pay for the cost of it.

It will be very hard for BT to raise the prices on any products used by the ecig community because the ease of manufacturing one is very simple. PG,VG, Nicotine and flavoring is also readily availiable. The only way they would able to raise prices would be to have the FDA put tighter restrictions on the sale and production of nicotine. It's more likely they would pursue a cheaper model to undercut all the internet sales / small business B&Ms and make it more readilbly availiable for consumers in high volume retail B&Ms.

The problem is BigT will never be able to get a lock on the hardware since a mods can be hand crafted with common materials. The part of the industry they CAN go after will be the juice market. If they can get the right regulations in place, they can position themselves so that they would be the ONLY legal source of juice in the US. At that point they would simply stop producing it. With them being the only legal supplier due to regulations, and them having no way to corner the hardware market, they would effectively shut it down. Pushing most people back onto their primary product.

Why? Juice is is NOT cheaper to make than cigarettes. Do you really think is is cheaper to dry out tobacco leaves and then go through some extensive extraction process, or just dry it out, crumble it up and roll it up? Therefore their profit margin is greater on analogs than it ever will be on juices.

Then why is BigT buying up cig-a-like companies? This is what they would call "Plan B". This is the backup plan in case they cannot get regulations in place to ban the import of juice, as well as making in labs that only they could qualify for. They do see the writting on the wall, and know that if they fail to get the proper regulations in place they are going to lose a very significant portion of their revenue. The cig-a-likes are there to offset these losses until they can get the regulations they need.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
Isn't having Tighter Restrictions on who can Buy and Who can Sell Nicotine Base the Next Logical Progression?

Depends, mainly how the FDA stands on it. Even Phillip Morris reached out to the FDA to regulate the tobacco industry with a federal oversight. The issue mainly is there so many manufacturers of ejuice that don't have warning labels, adequate content ingredient labels on the bottles, and quality control of how they are produced. The FDA will have a field day with this and the risks of nicotine poisoning from unqualified/Unregulated dealers.

You could yell at the BT companies all you want, but they are the ones embracing the electronic cigarette. They are all trying to offer these along side the traditional analog.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Depends, mainly how the FDA stands on it. Even Phillip Morris reached out to the FDA to regulate the tobacco industry with a federal oversight. The issue mainly is there so many manufacturers of ejuice that don't have warning labels, adequate content ingredient labels on the bottles, and quality control of how they are produced. The FDA will have a field day with this and the risks of nicotine poisoning from unqualified/Unregulated dealers.

You could yell at the BT companies all you want, but they are the ones embracing the electronic cigarette. They are all trying to offer these along side the traditional analog.

1. See my post above yours for why BigT is in the eCig biz.

2. I don't see Big-T posting THEIR ingredients list either: Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes

3. The ingredients list from above would be ALLOWED in your juice if regulated like tobacco.

4. If you wonder just what kind of morals BigT really has, watch this: Vanguard: Sex, Lies and Cigarettes

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'm not yelling at BT.

I see them doing what ANY Company does. Trying to make More Profits.

I just find the Manipulation of the FDA Interesting in the way BT and BP go about making their Profits.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
I hope you are talking about eCigs here and not Big Oil going green. Green energy is NOT cheaper or easier to manufacture or produce.

Nope, I agree with you here. After global warming was debunked, it's pretty much here to stay. Green energy is a lot more expensive and can cause massive amounts of eco system stability issues as well.

The problem is BigT will never be able to get a lock on the hardware since a mods can be hand crafted with common materials. The part of the industry they CAN go after will be the juice market. If they can get the right regulations in place, they can position themselves so that they would be the ONLY legal source of juice in the US. At that point they would simply stop producing it. With them being the only legal supplier due to regulations, and them having no way to corner the hardware market, they would effectively shut it down. Pushing most people back onto their primary product.

They can produce mods in a production line that would make the price of handcrafted mods look like a joke.
It could never position itself on the nicotine market because this would disqualify medical companies from producing their nicotine replacement systems. That will never happen.

Why? Juice is is NOT cheaper to make than cigarettes. Do you really think is is cheaper to dry out tobacco leaves and then go through some extensive extraction process, or just dry it out, crumble it up and roll it up? Therefore their profit margin is greater on analogs than it ever will be on juices.

I agree, it might be a little more expensive on the extracting side, but analogs are quickly perishable, not the case with eliquid.

Then why is BigT buying up cig-a-like companies? This is what they would call "Plan B". This is the backup plan in case they cannot get regulations in place to ban the import of juice, as well as making in labs that only they could qualify for. They do see the writting on the wall, and know that if they fail to get the proper regulations in place they are going to lose a very significant portion of their revenue. The cig-a-likes are there to offset these losses until they can get the regulations they need.

The reason is instead of trying to brand a new product, manufacturing start up, model design, you have it all from the start and at a relatively cheap price, before more people get the jump on you.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

To smoke, tobacco has to be cured. That may be all that is needed for small pipe tobacco companies where customers look at year to year differences and embrace them. But big cigarette companies need consistency so they have to process that cured tobacco.
I would guess by the time it's all said and done it would be a wash to extract nicotine vs make cigarettes that taste the same year after year. You certainly can't post your big list of chemicals that go into "big tobacco" and then claim it's cheaper than extracting because extracting needs a few chemicals.

And if they can't get a lock on hardware because people can mod the same would apply to nicotine. It's not news that there are trailer park labs doing more difficult extractions. You don't have to grow good tobacco (or even tobacco for that matter) to extract nicotine and it's not illegal to grow tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread