sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Nicotine patches plan targets child smokers

Link: The Herald.

Kid smoker Children as young as 14 are to be given nicotine patches in an effort to cut under-age smoking. The first scheme of its kind in Scotland intends to offer young smokers patches, gum or tablets through schools and youth groups. Pupils will also counsel friends trying to quit and refer classmates to anti-smoking co-ordinators who will decide on the appropriate form of nicotine replacement therapy.

Quit Smoking Tobacco News & Services; Smoke Free Stop Smoking News, Products: Nicotine patches plan targets child smokers

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
WHAT? I did not read the article (I will) but I cannot believe what I just read! That's a great way to get 'em hooked early! I have a 13 year old daughter and I would never give her a patch!!! Not only that, it would be a sad, sad day if I ever catch her smoking while she lives in my house! My words to her are "smoking a cigarette would be the dumbest thing you have ever done!!" It never ends with the first one. She has also seen my struggles to stop smoking. It is time for parents and teachers to get real with these kids and stop offering them some .... like this!

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
WHAT? I did not read the article (I will) but I cannot believe what I just read! That's a great way to get 'em hooked early! I have a 13 year old daughter and I would never give her a patch!!! Not only that, it would be a sad, sad day if I ever catch her smoking while she lives in my house! My words to her are "smoking a cigarette would be the dumbest thing you have ever done!!" It never ends with the first one. She has also seen my struggles to stop smoking. It is time for parents and teachers to get real with these kids and stop offering them some .... like this!

The patches are for kids already smoking. Good luck controlling your child's behavior. I have 7 and I promise you, they will try EVERYTHING including smoking.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
The patches are for kids already smoking. Good luck controlling your child's behavior. I have 7 and I promise you, they will try EVERYTHING including smoking.

I am sure she will try it, but it is in her best interest not to continue it until she is out of my house. Do you know that these kids today "smoke" and snort smarties? Yes! The candy! I will do my everything I can to make sure that I make her understand the life long dangers and struggles with smoking. As long as I have done that, then I have done my job. If there are some beatings involved, then so be it.:D Just for the record, I am kidding. I don't even spank my children. lol

I guess if the kids are already smoking, then the patch is better. Sadly though, the patch isn't "cool". It is rather amazing how young these kids start smoking.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I asked my 20 year old daughter what had kept her from smoking. I do; several of her friends do, even her boyfriend did when they first started dating. I asked if it was because it bothered her that I was a smoker. She said no. Actually, she said it never bothers her if anyone smokes. She is just not interested in doing it herself. One reason is that she has brilliantly white teeth that she loves. The bigger reason is that she is a college student with extremely limited resources. If she happens to have a little extra money, she loves going to the mall. If she bought cigarettes, she would not be able to buy anything at the mall. Sometimes, it really is just as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread