Anti-Vape puppet commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Uh I'm sorry and I love children.... But children are NOT as cute as Muppets. Sorry.

Although the vomiting Muppet may give a child a run for its money.

Nope, I am remembering a few childhood food poisoning events with like MY child, and even he was not as cute at that time as that vomiting Muppet. That's not even factoring in smell, noises, desire to "cuddle" etc.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
Have any of you guys seen those ridiculous puppet commercials that are telling people how bad vaping is?? Those have got to be the stupidest commercials I have ever seen in my life (and I am old) ..... The first time I saw them was tonight on TV .... They are stating that if you vape you are getting 4 times the nicotine that you are getting from smoking :rolleyes:..... A different commercial was stating that if you vape that you have a 10 times more chance of picking up the smoking habit. I laughed my .... off just watching the ......ed things.
being from the UK i have to ask do you get anti smoking adverts?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
If nicotine is soooo addictive, then why didnt I get addicted to the gum, patches, lozenges???? Also, Im not really addicted to my vape either, but I still want my ciggies!!! And as far as having my immune system compromised by vaping.... since I started vaping I havent had a cold ( which I used to catch 2X a year when I was smoking... Feb and Nov) sooo... no colds since 2013 ... 6 yrs of vaping and no colds o_O go figger :blink:...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And as far as having my immune system compromised by vaping.... since I started vaping I havent had a cold ( which I used to catch 2X a year when I was smoking... Feb and Nov) sooo... no colds since 2013 ... 6 yrs of vaping and no colds
Pretty much the same. I've had one in 5+ years, and it was very mild and over relatively quickly compared to the the ones I used to get when I was smoking. Best of all, it didn't crawl down into my chest.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If nicotine is soooo addictive, then why didnt I get addicted to the gum, patches, lozenges???? Also, Im not really addicted to my vape either, but I still want my ciggies!!! And as far as having my immune system compromised by vaping.... since I started vaping I havent had a cold ( which I used to catch 2X a year when I was smoking... Feb and Nov) sooo... no colds since 2013 ... 6 yrs of vaping and no colds o_O go figger :blink:...

Different absorption mechanism. No rapid spike in nicotine levels like you get with cigarettes, and to a lesser degree vaping.

Thing is, I, and I believe most vapers who took this up to stop smoking do not want to see kids vape, nicotine or not (OK better nic free than not). So how about the smart approach. Smoke? Consider vaping. Don't smoke, don't vape. Simple, to the point, and truthful. You taught a generation not to smoke. That's great. Really. I don't want to see kids pick up a cigarette then struggle like we did down the road when it might even be too late. But kids (teens) aren't stupid. Try the truth and it might stick. Otherwise they laugh their butts off watching muppets and have no clue what they're vaping (I do believe the survey results that a whole bunch don't even know there's nicotine in those cartridges). Enforce age verification at the convenience store gas station crowd. Then stop and watch the results. If it works, which it probably will although there will always be some who can't be dissuaded no matter what, call it a day. If it doesn't, tell them they'll grow hair on their palms, just like with ............. (no one ever believed that one for more than 10 minutes even when they were 10). But resorting to muppets? That's just a lack of common sense methods that could work. Instead it makes a mockery of the attempts, and leaves you with the "we tried but it didn't work so toss them all in the bay" (those poor fish that are somehow still alive despite a steady diet of plastic). It's not just an insult to adults who vape to stop smoking, it's an insult to the teens they're trying to influence. Who the hell would believe a muppet after age 14 in the first place?

The vaping industry didn't do itself any favors when it marketed e juice in juice pack designs or cans of Ready Whip. Juul should have spotted their demographic shift earlier and made adjustments before letting it get this nuts. For all the beliefs in personal liberties to do as we please, that's not how the real world works, and expecting some dramatic shift in social policy to defend individual choice is also harmful as it's not happening. So adjust accordingly to get by within the the world of politics and opinions we live in. We're not getting a constitutional convention or a withdrawal of all legislation that impact our private lives. It's time to work with the world we inhabit, not the one we wish it was.

If one day that comes to pass, terrific. But it's not the world today, and I really, really doubt it's the world tomorrow. So we need to be realistic and point out the crazy approaches that won't work ,and be proactive in supporting pragmatic solutions that might. If that means no packaging that's easy to mistake for Fruit Loops, fine. If that means pods are under the counter and not on display, fine, I can live with that But fight tooth and nail over every single plan, even if it might be sound (muppets not included) and we look as nuts as the foaming at the mouth zealot ANTZ crowd. Tough to be taken seriously when you look like that. ANTZ gets away with it because they've taken time to hone their message and build credibility by opposing youth smoking. We need to build credibility by recognizing the need to do the same. Unfortunately this all developed a lot faster than the decades the ANTZ crowd had so we need to act smarter faster or we will lose.

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    being from the UK i have to ask do you get anti smoking adverts?
    yeah we get them when they are promoting something to help people quit......

I just found those puppet commercials a bit strange.... Yes, JUUL's do have loads of Nicotine and so the commercial was correct in that regard.... But in the commercial they were stating that VAPING is bad.... In other words, they were trying to make it sound like ALL vaping is bad and not just vaping from JUUL's......

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    These anti vape commercials are a joke. Too bad there aren’t commercials warning kids not to chug liquor and chase it with prescription meds.

thou shalt not slander the pharma industry, nor hold false industries above it. I believe that was on the tablets handed down from apple.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    yeah we get them when they are promoting something to help people quit......

I just found those puppet commercials a bit strange.... Yes, JUUL's do have loads of Nicotine and so the commercial was correct in that regard.... But in the commercial they were stating that VAPING is bad.... In other words, they were trying to make it sound like ALL vaping is bad and not just vaping from JUUL's......
    All vaping is bad. It's just not as bad as smoking tobacco. It would be akin to drink a 12oz beer or drinking a 12oz bottle of moonshine. As was mentioned earlier if you smoke, consider vaping. If you don't smoke then don't vape.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    All vaping is bad. It's just not as bad as smoking tobacco. It would be akin to drink a 12oz beer or drinking a 12oz bottle of moonshine. As was mentioned earlier if you smoke, consider vaping. If you don't smoke then don't vape.
    Vaping isnt terrible. I dont think its as bad as you imagine.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    what Im interested in is finding out if vaping 0 nic is harmful....

The VOCs produced (Formaldehyde. Acrolein, a dash of Benzene (maybe that needs firming up) all come from the carrier PG/VG that's heated. Not the nicotine. Same with microparticulates and all the other things measured in trace quantities.Going nic free only appeals to those who might not be smokers but have a higher likelihood of going back for more nicotine (not everyone does).

The safety profile? Still unknown long term, but the stuff measured, even at the low concentrations that they are, and despite being way way lower than cigarette smoke, are still not such a hot idea to inhale if you don't have to.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    The point is vaping is alot worse than not vaping. If you don't smoke don't vape. If you don't smoke and you start vaping that's STUPID! Just like I was a STUPID kid when I started smoking.
    So is eating grilled stuff. This has far more carcinogens then vaping. I guess if you never had a steak, dont even try, you might enjoy and keep eating that unhealthy stuff.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    For a UK born national living in sunny France this is actually quite scary. This kind of false info just would not happen both here (France) and certainly not in the UK. Vaping simply wouldn't be considered a thing worthy of safety films...crossing the road...yes, smoking tobacco...yes.

It's scary because they obviously think (or know) it's going to work on the population so what other more subtle things are being put into your heads....think about it :sneaky:

Jeesus.....very, very spooky....country of freedom? I don't think so :shock:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Jeesus.....very, very spooky....country of freedom? I don't think so :shock:

The very fact that special interest groups have the freedom to make trash like this and actually get it on air show that it is the "country of freedom". For better or worse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread