Any cons to silica wick sleeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
I have some "XS-18 Silica Sleeving" on the way. I also have an RSST and some FC-2000 ceramic wicks.

From what I can tell by reading and watching videos, you need the coil to be pretty snug against a ceramic wick in order to get maximum performance. So people are doing "hot wraps" in order to get the wire soft enough to get a tight wrap. Then, more recently, I saw someone recommend the silica sleeving for the top of the wick, as another way to get a tight wrap on ceramic. I can't find the thread again, though, and I don't know if there is any drawbacks with this combo.

The whole reason I bought the ceramic wicks is because of the videos showing the crazy vapor production, and everyone raving about how "clean" the flavor was.

So basically, I want to know if I use a silica sleeve, will I be negating either of those things?

For the record, I haven't even tried my RSST or ceramic wicks yet. I also have some ribbon wire on the way, and am waiting until I have everything, before I jump in. (Already have an AGA-T+ that I've become decent at building with SS mesh)

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
Not sure this will help much because I haven't sleeved a ceramic wick yet but I have sleeved SS mesh and SS rope and had pretty god results. The problem I was having was build-up on the coil. It was building up real fast for me and after a few days I would have to re-do it. Dry burning didn't seem to help. Maybe it was my juice or......

I was using Eko-wool as the sleeve too so you may have better results than I did. The flavor and vapor were great while it lasted though. I still do one on SS rope every so often.

I would give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread