Any suggestions on batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
I am creating a mod and need some battery help. The case I am using originally housed 2 AAA batteries.

My question is do they make a single battery that is the same diameter as a AAA but twice the length??

IF NOT

What PROTECTED lithium 3.7 v cell is comparible to the AAA in size??
and
Where could I find a dummy battery spacer to take up the extra room since only using 1 battery space?

500KV

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Chattanooga
I am creating a mod and need some battery help. The case I am using originally housed 2 AAA batteries.

My question is do they make a single battery that is the same diameter as a AAA but twice the length??

IF NOT

What PROTECTED lithium 3.7 v cell is comparible to the AAA in size??
and
Where could I find a dummy battery spacer to take up the extra room since only using 1 battery space?
Lc 10440 is the AAA size...Like this:UltraFire LC 10440 3.6V 500mAh Rechargeable Battery (2-Pack) $5.12 - Free Shipping

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Gets a little tricky. Let's say for simplicity that your coil is 4Ω. To halve the voltage the battery puts out, you could put a 4Ω resistor in series with the coil and each would drop half the voltage. Each cell is 4.2 volts fully charged >= 8v for both. 8v / 8Ω = 1 amp (roughly). Half the 8v across the resistor (4v) * 1 amp = 4 watts. The duty cycle of vaping is pretty low (5 seconds per minute), so you wouldn't need a resistor capable of continuous 4 watt power handling, but you would need a one watter or two.

However, you would be buying and charging two cells for the exact same performance as one (which would also be without the extra heat wasted by the dropping resistor). Paradiso mentioned voltage regulation and that is the fancy solution. One problem, though, is that the common regulators drop about 2.5v, so a 5v regulator would start dropping the output voltage when the cells output fell to 7.5v. The ultimate solution is to get a low dropout regulator (only a .5v drop between input and output). Here's the datasheet-
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM2940.pdf
and here's the part at digikey for $2.15-
Digi-Key - LM2940IMP-5.0CT-ND (National Semiconductor - LM2940IMP-5.0/NOPB)
Stick with the sot-223 chip at 7mm square versus the TO-220.

Now that you have a rock solid 5 volts, you have something that almost no one else has- steady vape production throughout the battery charge. Now, to knock down that last volt to get to 4v, just put a 1Ω 1/2 watt resistor in series with the coil. Voila, a solid 4v power source. However, you also have no way to tell if your cells are over-discharged, and that will ruin your cells and create a danger. Bummer, now we need an undervoltage cutoff circuit.

Or, you could just wrap tin-foil around a dowel, cover that with plastic tape and go with one cell. Grin.

Last edited:

labrat

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2009
Actually AAA Dummy cell is the answer. Just have to find them now.

You can use anything that will bridge the gap. Could be a metal rod, tube, or even a fabricated piece using wire. BTW, I was able to relocate the battery end connecter and resoldered the leads so I had no use for a "filler". Use the empty space to put your juice reservoir in. Opps, did I give out too much info? Nah, you all will get a pic when done. hehe.

reallango

Sep 22, 2009
Have you looked at the "mini Magnum" thread. Uses a MagLite Solitaire as the case (single AAA). If you're looking for a stealth PV, this is about as little as it could get.

I'm looking to make one like this for use at work. I tried finding the thread you speak of but with no luck. If you could give me a link it would be greatly apreciated as I would like to see what design they went with and see if I can get any ideas from it.

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
In looking for a PV mod that runs at 5v (I like 510's at 5v, I think that's the sweet spot), I came across this thread. Is anyone aware of a well made aluminum (not a box mod) PV that runs at 5v? They all seem to be rated at 3.7, 6 or 7.4 volts. I see a diode is used to drop the voltage down, is there a pv made that i can remove this from to get my magic voltage? Starting to think i'm going to have to build my own mod to get what I like.

Thanks, sorry if i'm hijacking your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread