Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
Hello,
I've been purchasing ecig products and done a few sales/trades through paypal all VERY careful not to mention ecigs or anything of the sort. Well, they notified me, without a reason, that they were going to hold ALL payments for 21 days before I could access them. I wonder if this has to do with suspicion of ecig stuff?? I hate this! Waiting 21 days for my money is rediculous. Anyone else come across a similar problem?

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
it is very likely that it wasn't your fault. Odds are that you made a transaction that they could link to someone that violated the rules.

I hope that is the case, but I don't appreciate it when a company that I've helped support via ebay for years decides to change the policy on me without even giving me a decent reason. I personally wouldn't even use paypal but so many vendors/suppliers are paypal only. It is not without it's ease of use, and now I suppose I am paying for it.

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
Does anyone even actually know what PayPal's issue(s) is with ecigs?

I can "almost" understand them not allowing vendors, but why do they take it to person to person transactions?

Has PP ever made any sort of public statement about this?

Good question, I have no idea, I've just been warned numerous times...

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
This is what I found::

Posted in e-Cigarette News by Electronic Cigarette on the August 22nd, 2009
PayPal has been warned about the legal consequences of continuing to facilitate the sale of e-cigarettes — a product the FDA has ruled is “misbrand[ed],” an “unapproved new drug” and “are illegal until they are cleared,” and whose sale has been prohibited by court order in at least one state. The legal warning comes as e-cigarette advertising has reportedly been banned on Facebook, and e-cigarettes which deliver ...... as well as nicotine are now available.

PayPal was advised that providing payment for e-cigarettes “appears to be aiding and abetting the sale of these illegal products by providing payment vehicles to Internet sites which are selling them, and doing so in interstate commerce and in possible violation of consumer protection laws in the individual states.”

PayPal was also warned that: “As the FDA and others have noted,
e-cigarettes pose a wide variety of potential dangers to users, and perhaps also to those around them, both of whom inhale a mixture of nicotine (a dangerous drug) and propylene glycol (which is used in antifreeze, and may cause respiratory tract irritation).

Thus, in addition to possible legal liability for simply facilitating the sale of an illegal product, PayPal might well be named as a defendant should an e-cigarette user or a family member claim that some medical problem was caused or exacerbated by an e-cigarette illegally sold with PayPal’s assistance.”

It appears that other business entities involved, even indirectly, with the sale of this unapproved new product are taking steps to limit their potential legal liability. Two corporations in Colorado, faced with potential charges of violating consumer protection laws, have agreed to no longer sell the “illegal” products.
http://www.pr-inside.com/e-cigarette-sa ... der-r14184 .. AND reason.com/blog/show/135190.html

Facebook has reportedly decided that “we do not allow ads for electronic cigarettes and will not allow the creation of any further Facebook Ads for this product.” http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... -facebook- ..

Meanwhile, it also appears that at least one distributor is providing e-cigarettes designed to deliver ......, with or without an added nicotine kick, and apparently without the need for a prescription. http://www.........../shopping/shopexd.asp?id=608

“This illustrates just one additional potential danger of permitting businesses to decide for themselves to offer drug-delivery devices to the public without any FDA review or approval,” says public interest law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), America’s first antismoking organization. He warns that a sale-first approval-later policy allows drug sellers to use the public as guinea pigs to test the safety of the products.

Banzhaf also notes that other nicotine-delivery products — including nicotine gum, nicotine patches, nicotine sprays, and nicotine inhalers — all had to obtain FDA approval before they were permitted on the market. Other nicotine-delivery products which could not prove that they were safe — including a cigarette look-alike product named “Favor,” as well as nicotine lollipops — are not permitted to be sold.

Banzhaf’s scheduled appearance on NBC-TV Nightly News was a major factor in prompting the FDA to report that e-cigarettes contained detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users could potentially be exposed.

The FDA said the toxic chemicals included diethylene glycol, “an ingredient used in antifreeze, [which] is toxic to humans”; “certain tobacco-specific nitrosamines which are human carcinogens”; and that “tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans - anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine - were detected in a majority of the samples tested.”

In addition to these known dangers, there are many other potential dangers which have not yet been evaluated by the FDA, and which may be even more serious. These include possible contamination, smokers who otherwise would quit instead remaining addicted to nicotine, the deadly danger nicotine inhalation can pose for people with risk factors for heart attacks, the propensity of inhaled nicotine to sustain or even trigger an addiction, the worry that youngsters will use e-cigarettes as “training wheels” on the way towards cigarette smoking, and the potential risks to those around e-cigarette users — including infants and young children, the elderly, those with existing medical problems, etc. — who will be exposed to the exhaled vapors containing nicotine and propylene glycol.

ASH, which served the legal notice on PayPal, had earlier warned credit card companies about their facilitation of the illegal sales of cigarettes over the Internet.
ash.org/creditorltr.html

Then ASH wrote to the attorneys general of the 50 states asking them to take legal action. The result was a legal crackdown on companies facilitating the illegal sale of cigarettes on the Internet. ash.org/agtaxletter.html AND ash.org/no-smoking/nov05/11-10-05-1.html

“Companies which facilitate the sale of a product determined by the FDA to be “illegal,” and which has such a large number of known and potential health dangers, should either discontinue their support or be prepared to face the legal consequences,” warns Prof. Banzhaf.

PROFESSOR JOHN F. BANZHAF III
Professor of Public Interest Law and Executive Director
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
America’s First Antismoking Organization
2013 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA
(202) 659-4310 // (703) 527-8418 // ash.org

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
I had them hold a payment on me for several days like that before. I forgot why, but they wouldn't release it for a couple of weeks. I called, argued, fussed, cussed, spit and sputtered to no avail. When they decided they were good and ready to release the funds, they did. I've never taken payments via PP since, and never will again!

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
I can't beleive this is for real. Aside from paypal, almost every e cig vendor has a FB page!! I presume FB knows about this and looks the other way? Or maybe the CEO of FB uses e cigs.

slightly related information... ECF does not accept vendors that only have a facebook page as registered suppliers.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
There was just a thread about this 2 days ago. I'll try to find it. Paypal only restricts US e-cig vendors, not foreign, I think. It has nothing to do with social policy or moral high road. They struck a deal with CC companies to respect each other's turf. From the movie Tombstone: My hypocrisy knows no bounds. That's my theory anyway.

p.s. I haven't had any problems with Paypal + China merchants, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
I think that a lot of what was in the lawyer's letter was scary rubbish, ecigs are not "Illegal" (in the us anyway) but it was interesting to see what kind of propaganda is out there when it comes to ecigs or PV's. They are unregulated and that scares the pants off of anyone without a brain.

Still angry with Paypal, and banks in general now :( I finally understand why people hide money in the mattress.

Last edited:

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Thanks Mr. Fox, I mean...justaguy

You could tell what "it" is from my 10-yr old digital camera? Kindergarteners have better ones now. He/she was passing through my deck, so I snapped it. It's either that or a flock of turkeys and I didn't want turkeys for an avatar. :laugh:

As for that turkey named Paypal, all you can do is vote with your dollars. You'll lose some shopping options though.

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
Hello,
I've been purchasing ecig products and done a few sales/trades through paypal all VERY careful not to mention ecigs or anything of the sort. Well, they notified me, without a reason, that they were going to hold ALL payments for 21 days before I could access them. I wonder if this has to do with suspicion of ecig stuff?? I hate this! Waiting 21 days for my money is rediculous. Anyone else come across a similar problem?

Do you have your bank acc linked to paypal? do you withdrawal money right away from your paypal account to your bank account if you sell something on ECF? if yes than that may be the reason. I heard of 2 people here on ECF that had this happen to them they talked to paypal and they said due to quick withdrawals to your bank account and not leaving the cash with paypal they need to investigate. I personally find that hilarious because if we have our bank account linked to paypal than wtf is the issue?
Hope everything gets resolved Lady.

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
You could tell what "it" is from my 10-yr old digital camera? Kindergarteners have better ones now. He/she was passing through my deck, so I snapped it. It's either that or a flock of turkeys and I didn't want turkeys for an avatar. :laugh:

As for that turkey named Paypal, all you can do is vote with your dollars. You'll lose some shopping options though.

I just may have to do that...yes it is a beautiful fox at that! However turkey would make a better dinner ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread