Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
1,2 propandiol is propylene glycol, just a different chemical name for it. There is a 1,3 propandiol which is manufactured and under patent (I think) called Susterra by DuPont (think name brand pharmaceutical vs. generic). As they have essentially the same chemical properties, I'm not sure on the advantage here.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Propylene glycol, also called propane-1,2-diol.

1,3-Propanediol
It is mainly used as a building block in the production of polymers such as polytrimethylene terephthalate.
1,3-Propanediol can be formulated into a variety of industrial products including composites, adhesives, laminates, coatings, moldings, aliphatic polyesters, copolyesters. It is also a solvent and used as an antifreeze and in wood paint.

1,3-Propanediol - Wikipedia

Don't think I want any of that

Reactions: Eskie

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Reactions: Eskie

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
1,2 propandiol is propylene glycol, just a different chemical name for it. There is a 1,3 propandiol which is manufactured and under patent (I think) called Susterra by DuPont (think name brand pharmaceutical vs. generic). As they have essentially the same chemical properties, I'm not sure on the advantage here.

Susterra? yeah i'll pass on that. sounds too much like

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Propylene glycol, also called propane-1,2-diol.

1,3-Propanediol
It is mainly used as a building block in the production of polymers such as polytrimethylene terephthalate.
1,3-Propanediol can be formulated into a variety of industrial products including composites, adhesives, laminates, coatings, moldings, aliphatic polyesters, copolyesters. It is also a solvent and used as an antifreeze and in wood paint.

1,3-Propanediol - Wikipedia

Don't think I want any of that

If you read further down in your linked entry, you'd also see that there are no known adverse effects when inhaled.

PG has been used as a solvent in our e-liquids from day one, and is also used in pet safe anti-freeze. It's also used in a myriad of additional products when listed out like you've done above, would give anyone pause.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My first vendor purchased juices were 90pg/10vg. I vaped in that range for a couple of years before moving to 80pg/20vg and 70pg/30vg. Last DIY session I mixed some 60pg/40vg juices.

The more VG the less stealthy my vape becomes. There's more flavor at higher PG levels, but you have to balance the mix for throat hit. Too much PG and throat hit can be distracting. Increase VG for added sweetness and milder flavor and TH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread