PG Intolerance (propanediol, vodka)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roggy

Jun 9, 2018
I have a slight PG Allergy, 20% is the most i can use imo. I'm playing around with vodka at the moment to substitute and was wondering how high i can go with it as i really want a throat hit.
Can i go for a 80vg20v mix and still have an alright vaping experience?
I've also read about propanediol used at five pawns liquids, does anyone know if thats really a Good alternative?
Or do you know of anything else i can try?

Side Notes; currently i'm vaping around 30ml per day @6mg and put 7.5% Vodka in existing 70vg30pg mixes, pg gives me dry skin and itching if used too much espacially on hot days, only vaping for 6 months so far but thats what i found out along.

• Informative
Reactions: BrotherBob

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
You could go as high as you like with the vodka, but liquid consistency (thickness) will be affected as well as a significant increase in popping, as the vodka has a lower boil point that PG/VG. I believe you could go as high as 20%, but it will be super thin liquid at that point.

You will undoubtedly get a bit of a buzz from the ethyl alcohol at higher percentages, too. Use caution when operating heavy equipment or driving. If you are pregnant, you may want to explore other options, as alcohol has been reported to cause birth defects.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
No-one knows but logic dictates that if you vape 10ml of liquid a day which has 10% vodka in it you'll be vaping 1ml of vodka. How much of that you would exhale is anyone's guess.
I would be fairly confident in saying that taking in <1ml of vodka is not going to get you drunk.
Unless you weigh less than a pound.
Obviously.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thank you everyone for your insight, i'll dismiss propanediol, try a small bottle of peg400 and if everything fails i'll go 90vg10vodka. I slightly chain vape and think i need to water it down a bit.

I'd wait on that. I was actually asking the question for an informed reply. 10% seems really high. If indeed it doesn't get you drunk, it could really screw up your lungs.

• Informative
    Reactions: Roggy

Roggy

Jun 9, 2018
    30ml per day could be the problem, or part of the problem. What wattage and ohms are you vaping at/with?
    Ive spent just over a year fine tuning what I can and cannot vape to avoid negative reactions.
    As time goes on what I can vape is getting more and more boring.

Mostly 0.2 ohm 80-100 Watt with 1.5-2 sec pulls @6mg
    Could this be an issue, that i should up my nicotin and hope i smoke less?

I'd wait on that. I was actually asking the question for an informed reply. 10% seems really high. If indeed it doesn't get you drunk, it could really screw up your lungs.

Good point, i can wait, next order is due on january. Currently i have 70vg/30pg and added 10% vodka to mixes i had, as i realized my problem (added ex. 100ml bottle, added 10ml, but a really cheap one as i hoped this gives more TH)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Thank you everyone for your insight, i'll dismiss propanediol, try a small bottle of peg400 and if everything fails i'll go 90vg10vodka. I slightly chain vape and think i need to water it down a bit.
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Sounds like a plan. Might be interested in:
    "Inhaling directly to the lungs is incorrect technique for beginners with an e-cigarette and can lead to irritation or coughing. While any/all variations of every aspect of ecig use may work for experienced users, who will certainly be able to use a D2L inhale if they wish (and many prefer it especially with RBAs, rebuildable atomisers), beginners need correct advice in order to transition successfully."
    PG Sensitivity
    The Vaper`s Guide to PG and VG Allergies (and what to do about them)
    Throat hit differnce: Throat Hit - What is It and Why Does It Matter? - The Kind Pen

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Good point, i can wait, next order is due on january. Currently i have 70vg/30pg and added 10% vodka to mixes i had, as i realized my problem (added ex. 100ml bottle, added 10ml, but a really cheap one as i hoped this gives more TH)
    After poking around, 10% vodka doesn't seem to be as big of a concern for anyone else.

Now, if you're adding it to a premix, consider that you will dilute your flavor by as much.

Roggy

Jun 9, 2018
    After poking around, 10% vodka doesn't seem to be as big of a concern for anyone else.

Now, if you're adding it to a premix, consider that you will dilute your flavor by as much.

Yes, it's recognisable how much it dilluted the flavor, not that much but evident.

I've developed a PG intolerance and am finding it difficult to find Max VG juices. It's really taken the enjoyment out of vaping.

I mix myself, i only tried a few Shake and vape's and i didnt think the price difference is worth it to me. And playing around with small batches once you have a few flavours you think could work together, is really fun to me.

"Inhaling directly to the lungs is incorrect technique for beginners with an e-cigarette and can lead to irritation or coughing. While any/all variations of every aspect of ecig use may work for experienced users, who will certainly be able to use a D2L inhale if they wish (and many prefer it especially with RBAs, rebuildable atomisers), beginners need correct advice in order to transition successfully."
    PG Sensitivity
    Throat hit differnce: Throat Hit - What is It and Why Does It Matter? - The Kind Pen

Thanks for your kind welcoming :D
    I use RTA's, exclusivly Top Airflow, currently zeus dual, themis mesh, engine v2. I'll read about D2L techniques und the links you provided, thank you. A friend got me in to it, but pretty quick with wismec rx300 and manta, so i burned a lot of cotton but learned the joy of making coils and wicking to one's preference

Last edited:

Roggy

Jun 9, 2018
    PG Sensitivity

Mouth 2 Lung is interesting, i do this sometimes as it flashes more to me, but didnt know it's a good technique as i thought, written on some tanks, it's just some kind of drip tip...
    The 1 in 5000 People having skin problems is right up my alley, it's starting with dry skin and when i continue vaping it starts to itch.
    Wet lung popped up in this article, is this based on amount inhaled and leaving me with 30ml intake at a higher risk than someone, ex. Vaping only 20ml? Is that a right way to view it?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I use PEG400. I am sensitive to PG. It's a good flavor carrier like PG. I would say do your own due diligence on its safety. I did and was content with what I found, but I wouldn't advise vaping it unless you are comfortable with what you find out.

I vaped almost max VG for a while (can't do more than about 10% PG). Distilled water wasn't bad, More than 10% in a mix, you will get a watery, anemic vape, and you may need less than 10% Distilled water honestly.

I used vodka for awhile but ceased and desisted the practice, more because things got kind of boring-- like ,fruits plus vodka, chocolate plus vodka, desserts plus vodka, it just got OLD.

You will have evaporation if you let the mix breathe, if you decide to do so. How much and whatnot will probably depend on a bunch of things, but if you are looking for a thinning effect I'd be inclined to NOT let it breathe. However, you will still have the "Whatever flavor plus vodka" issue to deal with. That bothered me after a while. I did not notice any notable effects on my lungs as I was doing it however.

Best of luck!

Anna

Fanatic_vaper

Dec 17, 2018
    Unfortunately I got the same problem, when I vape a 30% PG liquid my throat gets pretty swollen because of the PG. A lot of people got the same problem, so it sucks most liquids got at least 50%.
    I bought a Goldline e-liquid (Three Strikes Out, it's a soft tobacco flavor) at Slimroken (the Netherlands) with 100% VG. It's more expensive than the most liquids, but it solved the problem for me. Do you guys know more E-liquid brands who only sell 100% liquids? I want to try more fruit liquids, but the choice is limited unfortunately..

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread