Anyone know what causes that scratchy tickle in the back of your throat from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Would just like to know what you all think causes that scratchy tickle in the back of your throat from vaping?

I've done high PG mixes
High VG mixes
Several different VG/PG brands
Several different NIC brands and strengths
Distilled water up to 10%
Saline up to 10%
Drinking pleanty of liquids while vaping and before bed (Boy does that make me pee a lot) :)

I find 65VG/35PG/5% Saline does about the best for me but by bed time I have that scratchy tickle in the back of my throat that makes me hack while I'm trying to get to sleep.

So what do you guys experience and what advice would you offer?

And don't say "Just don't go to sleep":)

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Got it from smoking cigs but not from vaping??I just get dry flem in the morning but no tickle.I also don't use a hot Rodded P.V to vape with just an ego twist at around 4.0 with MTS 3 tanks.Vaping 50/50

I use an ego twist and kayfun mini's as my main devices but I also get it from the full size kayfuns on mods and VB's such as the nemesis or vamo and also get it from kanger T3's so I don't think it's hardware related.

I've also noticed that some flavorings cause it worst then others for instance hangsen arabic or mixes with inawera DNB will cause it more then highway or T5 regardless of the flavor strength. It seems the drier the flavor the worst it is.

Last edited:

28if

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Outskirts of Detroit Rock City
I get the same thing in the morning. I only vape a coffee extraction in the am and I get that tickle. The rest of the day I vape fruit (sweeter) flavors. Always 50/50 @ 18. I attributed the tickle to just waking up. Maybe it is the 'flatter' flavors doing it? I'll experiment over the weekend.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
The mornings are fine for me. If I over vape during the day I'll have a small issue with it but not as bad as bed time. Most times I will wake in the middle of the night several hours after I've gone to bed And whats funny is for the first hour or so in bed I'll be fine then the scratchy tickle hits me like a ton of bricks.

28if

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Outskirts of Detroit Rock City
I sleep with a cpap so I'm always breathing let's say humid air. Maybe you can try a humidifier - if you can borrow one for a few nights. A couple of google searches turned up way to many explanations to consider but one almost common 'treatment' was the use of a humidifier??? I hate to use the word treatment but really can't think of another term. You know what I mean. Maybe solution may have been a better choice.

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Danny -

I have a similar - but different - problem. I vape only a 50/50-1.2% base either plain or with about 8% of TFA's Western. Hardware is an 1100 eGo battery and Kanger T3s - I have more than a dozen of them...

Mornings, and all day, I do not have the symptoms you describe. But, later in the night - close to bedtime, and during the night, any time I "hit" the pipe, I get this rough scratchy irritation in the back of my throat (sounds similar to what you describe). Sometimes, it is so bad that several minutes pass before i can feel comfortable again. This feeling is similar to smoking a real old dry cigarette from an open pack that had been in the car's glove compartment about a month...(Back in the day). Drinking water or juice does not minimize the irritation. Again, the next day, same pipe, no irritation...

Maybe not the same as your issue, but I feel they could be related. Maybe the solution to yours will aid me in solving mine..

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Danny,

I had similar issues (although it didn't wake me up) and like you, had tried several things trying to figure out what was causing the dryness in the back of my throat. Also, Like you, I found that some flavors (chocolate) affected me more than others. I switched to mostly VG (also with saline) and found that it helped a little, but not enough.

A while back there were a couple threads talking about VT nicotine, so I ordered some. I think my taste buds are on the lower end of the sensitivity scale because I really couldn't taste much of a difference between it and the WL or HV that I had. I did however notice a HUGE difference in how much I coughed using the VT. As in, almost never.

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. If you have tried it and still have the problem, I wish you the best in trying to figure it out.

Edit: I use a PT2 microcoil cotton wick on a MVP.

Last edited:

DenaInWyo

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Casper Wy
This happens to me too from time to time..almost like a little dry patch somewhere back there that makes me cough. I don't know what to tell you to prevent it, but I DO know drinking something carbonated helps more than plain water. Scratches the itch, if you will :) If your not a soda drinker, seltzer water or some such would work as well. I imagine beer would too :D

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I use an ego twist and kayfun mini's as my main devices but I also get it from the full size kayfuns on mods and VB's such as the nemesis or vamo and also get it from kanger T3's so I don't think it's hardware related.

I've also noticed that some flavorings cause it worst then others for instance hangsen arabic or mixes with inawera DNB will cause it more then highway or T5 regardless of the flavor strength. It seems the drier the flavor the worst it is.

What do you wick with? I switched to rayon and sometimes get a scratchy itch thing. If I switch back to cotton it disappears...

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
Using eye drops helps me, as I am getting older I've found that I can see better and my throat feels less scratchy when I use my eye drops.
I'm using Cellulose Cotton this week, I think that might be a problem. I just happened to be vaping a chocolate juice today and noticing it more.
In the wintertime I use a humidifier. My nasal passages get so dry since I quit smoking that my nose bleeds from time to time. I find that helps as well.
I hope you find something to help you!
I'm better vaping 50/50 juices. If I vape 70/30 it's worse.
I hope you find some relief

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
When I get that I use nasaquort (sic). It's usually from a real slight sinus drainage and a few squirts of that are good for a few days/

You may be on to something there. I sometimes use nose spray before bed when I'm stuffed up and I notice it's worst when I do that. Also my house is very dry because of the air conditioning. Maybe a humidifier will help.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I have never experienced it but am wondering, could it be related to flavorings that contain alcohol?

I don't use flavoring with alcohol but I do notice some flavors do it more then others. Mostly the drier tasting tobacco vapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread