Anyone Start Exercising After Quitting Cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I started running after switching to vaping a couple years ago.

I could only run for about 30 seconds at first, but in about 6 months I worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace. I stayed at 5 miles for quite a while.

Recently someone on a fitness forum challenged me to follow a running plan, and recommended one to me. The plan was designed to be able to run a half marathon distance (13.1 miles) in 12 weeks.

Two Sunday's ago I completed the plan, and ran 13.57 miles. It took me 3 and a half hours, but I did it.

This plan helped me achieve 3 goals...

10 mile
half marathon

Now I am recovering from that run with some shorter runs and walking, and contemplating my next goal.

Not bad for a 61 year OldAssDude, huh?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

I could only run for about 30 seconds at first, but in about 6 months I worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace. I stayed at 5 miles for quite a while.

Recently someone on a fitness forum challenged me to follow a running plan, and recommended one to me. The plan was designed to be able to run a half marathon distance (13.1 miles) in 12 weeks.

Two Sunday's ago I completed the plan, and ran 13.57 miles. It took me 3 and a half hours, but I did it.

10 mile
half marathon

Now I am recovering from that run with some shorter runs and walking, and contemplating my next goal.

Impressive! I never could run, even before I ever smoked. I bike and swim in the summer, and walk when the weather cooperates. I started doing push ups last year, and I can do 50, not bad for a 55 year old grandma, not as impressive as running 10 miles though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Impressive! I never could run, even before I ever smoked. I bike and swim in the summer, and walk when the weather cooperates. I started doing push ups last year, and I can do 50, not bad for a 55 year old grandma, not as impressive as running 10 miles though.
Depends. When I was young and slender I could run 10 miles but i was never able to do 50 push-ups.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

10 mile
half marathon

Goals can be important motivators. I started cycling last spring, and when I discovered the local greenway, I set a goal of being able to ride its length in one day. That would be a 32 mile ride, I still haven't rode the entire trail in one day, but I have managed to ride the equivalent distance in a day. I have pedaled over 2,000 miles in a little under a year, and next years goal is to be able to ride 64 miles in one day.

As a smoker, I would be out of breath and huffing for air upon climbing a single flight of stairs...Ain't nobody gonna tell me vaping isn't wayyyyyy safer than smoking.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Depends. When I was young and slender I could run 10 miles but i was never able to do 50 push-ups.

I couldn’t do any, last July when I started. I really let myself go when my husband was sick. Gained 30 lbs. lived on pop tarts after he died. But I needed to build up strength to do the stuff he wasn’t around to do anymore. I could barely carry the dog food in. It was taking me all week to weed trim the yard.

So I didn’t start because I wanted to get healthy today r look good or whatever... it was out of necessity. This winter o lugged big bags of rock salt, shoveled snow... so much easier with a little muscle.

When it warms up I’m going to start walking again, good for the dogs, good for me. Try to loose some of this weight lol. Maybe even dust off the Schwinn and go for a ride.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've never been much for running, but I've always worked out with free weights and did bike rides. These days I have a small gym set up in the upstairs part of my house. I do 100 reps with free weights on a curl bar, three sets with the Total Gym, and a 30 minute bike ride on a stationary bike at mid to upper level resistance.

Vaping has improved my health beyond my expectations. There's no more out of breath moments when I have to walk a long way or do heavy yard work. I took the company buyout at 55, retired early in 2009, and have done the workouts regularly since then.

EnzoVape

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2019
France
I quit cigarettes only 9 days ago but I can already tell the difference when I climb up stairs. I was breathless really fast before and now I feel so much better. Very impressive how général condition improve quickly after quitting.
But obviously when it comes to reducing heart attack risks or lung cancer risks it’ll take months and even years to get back to a non smoker level. But still, be able to get fast results is a real motivation. ✊

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I switched to vaping 4 1/2 years ago and went back to physical training, after a 25 year layoff, early last year. I'm one of the lucky ones, smoking days have no effect on lung capacity so far. I do lifting, brisk walking and moderate intensity steady state cardio. For good measure I lost 30 pounds eating keto style which got me to highschool weight and waist line. We were skinny kids back in the 60's. If more vapers were lean and fit it would be a political statement. Vaping doesn't make you healthy, just less unhealthy. Live longer = diet and exercise.

DeadElvis

Dec 30, 2013
Fairview, TN
Yes, I started exercising regularly for the first time in my life after switching to vaping. I started walking daily at a local nature park, jogging on a treadmill, and strength exercises 2x a week. I lost 100lbs after 12 months. When I was still smoking cigars/cigs, I would get out of breath walking up a single flight of stairs.

• Winner
Reactions: ENAUD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread