• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone try these "no-filler" cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuaneNeveu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Finally got to try my first MOD (a misnomer IMO, since I've not done anything to "modify" this device) now that my batteries arrived.

I bought a Bolt in gun metal 'cause it was a sexy looking device, and the only tanks I could find to match (in gun metal) were the "SmokTech U-DCT 6ML tanks" with the 1.5 ohm "SmokTech CE2 DCT-2 No Filler Pre-Punched Cartos". Perhaps I place to much emphasis on the aesthetics of my devices, but that's just how I roll.

Unfortunately, the carto that came in the tank was only good for a couple of draws before it went dry and acrid. It wicked horribly, and though I tried everything from twirling the Bolt like a batton, to numerous unpowered draws, nothing helped. Admittedly, I didn't try one of the replacement cartos out of fear that I would go through the effort only to experience the same thing, but another non-filler carto from my back-ups might prove more efficient. I'll find out once I'm done vaping this tankful with my current setup...

...so, instead, I replaced the "CE2 No Filler Carto" with a fresh "Boge 1.6 ohm Cartomizer" that I had on hand with the same flanged bottom. Though they looked to be identical in dimension, and the flange did fit the bottom of the U-DCT Tank, the Boge carto sits up about a millimeter over the top of the tank (instead of nice and flush with the top of the tank). The included drip tip for the tank was also VERY hard to get into the end of that carto, so it would appear that there's a tiny difference in diameter between the two (the original CE2 being slightly bigger around), though it hasn't caused any leaks so far.

If we put the cartomizers themselves aside, the tank itself is amazing! I love the weight of it, certainly the look of it, and the bottom locking ring gives me a great deal of peace-of-mind in that the tank won't slide up or down on the cartomizer. It's a rock solid tank. It feels and looks like glass, but I'm quite certain that it isn't given the $14.95 CAD price tag, and the fact the the seller's description doesn't mention what the material is (I've no doubt that it's polycarbonate).

Anyway, with a conventional carto, I've been vaping it and loving it all morning. And now, some pics...

bolt-gun-metal-with-matching-U-DCT-tank-1.jpg bolt-gun-metal-with-matching-U-DCT-tank-2.jpg

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
You're welcome. It's seems like carto tanks don't get mentioned to new vapers enough as everybody is looking for the next best thing and cartos are old news.

Well to be honest, they were mentioned to me by my buddy who got me started. However, he had a bad experience with them early on (leaking, tasting horrible) so he warned me away from them. From the comments here, I'm beginning to think he had a bad one.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
I had lots of problems with then when I first started. But I was trying to use dual coils on an ego. Once I got some boge XLs and a punch, then it started to work well once I got my Provari and some 2.5 ohm dual coils, I knew I'd struck gold.

I'm curious what dual coils do to current.... If a 2.5ohm dual coil is actually 2 5ohm coils, at 5.5V is it 6 watts or 12? I'm guessing 12. Is it drawing 1.1 amps or 2.2? I think 2.2.

If your Lambo can do that, you have to try it.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Has anybody tried rebuilding these with something like cotton or bamboo? I feel like it may address some of these wicking issues

If you're talking about rebuilding the fillerless cartos, the problem is that they are not rebuildable in any practical way that I can figure. It's a steel carto body just like regular cartos, and the CE assembly is near the bottom. It looks as though it might be possible to remove the seal and maybe modify it a little bit, but it would still be awkward getting at it.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
I think those cartos are really low resistance. And haven't heard good thing about them. I hope they dont discourage you. You have to at least try some smoktechs now that you have a tank.

Also, best punch you can get:

Watts | Poly Tube To Pipe Saddle Valve With Insert | Home Depot Canada

Um I beg to differ. I tried that "punch" and then switched to the Siam one that chagrin mentioned and there's no comparison. The Siam punch works like an fn charm!!! Best thing since sliced bread! Blows the saddle valve out of the water! OK I'll calm down now :hubba:

Stainless Steel Carto Punch v2

Tried both the metal and the plastic tank filler and the plastic wins:

New Extra Long Tank Filler

Last edited:

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Um I beg to differ. I tried that "punch" and then switched to the Siam one that chagrin mentioned and there's no comparison. The Siam punch works like a fn charm!!! Best thing since sliced bread! Blows the saddle valve out of the water! OK I'll calm down now :hubba:

Cool. That punch looks good. Haven't tried it. Looks better than the canvape one with that tube in the middle.

Also, that filler tool looks much better than the incredibly flawed metal one. Man that thing ...... me off.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Um I beg to differ. I tried that "punch" and then switched to the Siam one that chagrin mentioned and there's no comparison. The Siam punch works like an fn charm!!! Best thing since sliced bread! Blows the saddle valve out of the water! OK I'll calm down now :hubba:

That's the exact setup I've been using since I got my first pyrex tank (also Siam Mods) and it's been working great. 3 1/2 turns on the punch to make the perfect size hole, and the o-rings on my tanks are still like new because of the filler tool. I can't recommend these enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread