Anyone use cotton candy (wick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
I've been making my coils for a little while. I've used only cotton candy so far, since it's what they had at the local shop, and I had been wanting to test the prebuilt RBA in the baby beast.
It's alright when I've wicked it properly, and used it for a few hours, but it Always has an unpleasant flavor when first replaced, even when I've primed it continuously, and even filled the rta with juice and let it sit for an hour+.
I guess I want to know if this is just normal break in experience, or if there are better alternatives.
And to be clear, it's like a very very very mild dry hit, but it's definitely there. And I don't think it's hot leads since I clip them as close as I possibly can. Not that I claim my coils are flawless. Just wanted to get some outsider opinion if there is any.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have not used the Cotton Candy brand. I have used Cotton Bacon (V1 only), beauty supply cotton (Graham fr. JoAnn's), first-aid cotton, and authentic Ko Gen Do Japanese organic cotton. All of them, without exception, had a kind of funky "off" taste for about the first 5-10 minutes of vaping. Then, it would rather quickly fade, and leave the flavor of the e-liquid alone.

To me; it is just part of using cotton. It is not "bad." It is just kind of odd. I have never gotten anything resembling a "burnt" taste from new cotton (unless I actually burned it :facepalm:) though. If you are getting a definite burned taste; I would be reevaluating your wicking technique.

I should also probably declare, that I am in no way, a "super-taster." I have abused my poor taste buds for decades; and I am sure I miss quite a bit of what other folks can taste.:blush::D

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I find rayon to be a rather tasteless option from the start. Not everyone wants to use it though. Burnt is completely different than "earthy". If it's really "burnt" you may need less wick specifically in your tails, as oddly enough too thick tails can wick inconsistently leading to more "dry hits." If it's just a "weird" taste that fades as you use it, it's probably your choice of cotton, and trying different types of it may help you. Does the taste go away after a while? If it doesn't I might still suspect wicking technique, but if it does fade, I would just say try different cotton manufacturers, (or even rayon, unless you've already tried it and hated it, it's not for everyone). Best of luck.

Anna

assaultshaker

Jan 12, 2018
Just an update on my fiddling...
I've been using spaced coils. I decided to try a parallel contact build instead... Micro coil(?).
I also cut the ends of my cotton considerably shorter before putting them in my rta holes.
Now I am experiencing some minor leaking, but the taste is much much better.
I think I was getting the cotton break in taste, and then was progressing to mildly scorching the wick... Resulting in a steadily bad taste.
I need to find the right length to prevent the leaking without jamming too much cotton in the juice ports. It's a pretty small RTA though (smok baby beast) and I may just invest in a larger RTA soon.
I suspect the spaced coils were also burning the cotton that would press up between the coils fairly quickly. I thought the taste would be better with spaced builds, but I honestly can't tell any negative difference (maybe because it doesn't taste burnt!)
Anyway just thought I'd give an update.
I still will be trying other cotton types mentioned, after I go through my current supply.
Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread