Apartment Complex Prohibits Use of E-Cigarettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarloNC

Nov 4, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Received notice today that management will not allow smoking in the buildings and all outdoor areas of the property, effective Jan 1, 2011.

Here's their Definition of Smoking:

"The Term SMOKING means inhaling, exhaling, breathing or carrying any lighted tobacco product,
INCLUDING high-tech smoking devices commonly referred to as electronic cigarettes."

I suspect that the people who wrote the policy, don't even know what an electronic cigarette is or how it works.

I was expecting the No Smoking Rule and was planning on using E-cigs to get through it, but this really put a damper in my plans.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this.

And can the REALLY prohibit the use of E-Cigs?

Marlo in Raleigh, NC

lylystyx

Oct 15, 2010
North GA
We don't smoke - we vape. We are using vaporizors. We are not "lit". They don't seem to know what they're talking about but it is their property. Then again - what you do behind closed doors in the privacy of your own home is your business. Do you already have a lease? Also - we don't use "tobacco" products - we use nicotene only. And quite a few of us are nico free.

Lyly

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Yes, they can prohibit the use of e-cigs. My question is how in the hell are they going to know, since e-cigs don't leave behind a smell or stain anything? My opinion is that whoever wrote this policy is completely ignorant about e-cigs. This is just me, but I'd vape my head off anyway.

My lease prohibits smoking indoors. It doesn't say anything about e-cigs, so my fiance and I vape freely inside our house.

If it were me I'd just ignore it, as long as your not standing in front of a window vaping its impossible for them to know if your using an e-cig in your apartment, no lingering smoke or smells left behind by it.

See if the management really knows what an e-cig is. If you can't change their mind then go with TL1000RSquid's advice. They won't know anyway, even if they come in right after you finish vaping. My wife wouldn't allow (and I wouldn't/didn't anyway) smoking in the house. She doesn't care that I vape in house, although she'd rather I didn't vape at all. I vape in my home office and she says she can only smell it if I exhale around her, and even then it is faint.

Siyanis

Oct 14, 2010
Denver Colorado
Oh no, here comes one of those urban rat POVs:

I say if the place is still fantastic and if you've been there long enough, or vaped publicly enough that they'll be watching -YOU- to determine compliance, well, then, time to go all closed-shades and shut-in. (Really, that's the urban standard, anyway.) I wouldn't get into any sort of personal battle with your landlord unless you aren't the only tenant you'll be bringing to battle, yah? Otherwise it'll be a blank stare in place of a valid argument against vaping, followed by a recitation of the new regulation. Bo-ring. Underground apartment complex Vape Union? I dunno, mebbe.

Then again, it's the apartment management and they shouldn't be up your bum anyway. Break the rule, break break break. Hey, maybe it's time to apartment shop? Moving vans complete with movers are remarkably cheap. Now that you vape you're more fiscally liquid anyway.

**edit** WomanOfHeart points out that, technically, nothing gets lit, mid-conversation, and this carries consensus. The motion is carried. Vaping is not explicitly referred to within the confines of this regulation, or not sufficiantly defined so as to include vaping. Harumph! Harumph.

Last edited:

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Valid arguments supporting e-cigs against this policy:

1) It's an electronic "cigarette." You don't light it. It doesn't burn.

2) Since there isn't any tobacco in them, it's not a tobacco product. It will not leave behind a smell or stain walls, blinds, or curtains. This can be proven by blowing the vapor into a tissue or paper towel.

brian1g

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2010
Texas panhandle
"The Term SMOKING means inhaling, exhaling, breathing or carrying any lighted tobacco product,
INCLUDING high-tech smoking devices commonly referred to as electronic cigarettes."

Well, it looks like your in the clear unless your vaping a "tobacco product". This is a technicality with the wording but we use a nicotine product in our "high tech smoking devices".

I would just go about my day as usual and not worry about the new rule. Sometimes they have to put things like this in writing to get rid of a bad tenant. If they say something to you tell them they have a ban on tobacco products and your juice has none in it lol.

Or just find a new place to live :vapor:

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Yes, they can prohibit the use of e-cigs. My question is how in the hell are they going to know, since e-cigs don't leave behind a smell or stain anything? My opinion is that whoever wrote this policy is completely ignorant about e-cigs. This is just me, but I'd vape my head off anyway.

My lease prohibits smoking indoors. It doesn't say anything about e-cigs, so my fiance and I vape freely inside our house.

This. I've stood right beside people in WalMart and stealth vaped and they've never noticed. Pull your shades and carry on indoors. I'd be very careful and not let it be seen in elevators or on the public apartment grounds though. Classic case of what he doesn't know, won't hurt you.

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
After looking at the rule, no one can be alive by their rule -SMOKING means inhaling, exhaling, breathing - there's a OR for the next conditions. You can not carry Lighted cigs or e-cig. I've never tried to light my e-cig, but if I am walking thru and the buttion is not pressed, is it lit?? When something is lighted, does that mean with a flashlight?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If it were me I'd just ignore it, as long as your not standing in front of a window vaping its impossible for them to know if your using an e-cig in your apartment, no lingering smoke or smells left behind by it.

I agree. In your own apartment there is no way they would know. I have vaped in a no-smoking room in a motel and there is no smell or lingering oder at all. Although I believe their policy is "big brother" in nature and should be fought on principle alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread