Apartment Complex Prohibits Use of E-Cigarettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egouser

Nov 6, 2010
US
Received notice today that management will not allow smoking in the buildings and all outdoor areas of the property, effective Jan 1, 2011.

Here's their Definition of Smoking:

"The Term SMOKING means inhaling, exhaling, breathing or carrying any lighted tobacco product,
INCLUDING high-tech smoking devices commonly referred to as electronic cigarettes."

I suspect that the people who wrote the policy, don't even know what an electronic cigarette is or how it works.

I was expecting the No Smoking Rule and was planning on using E-cigs to get through it, but this really put a damper in my plans.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this.

And can the REALLY prohibit the use of E-Cigs?

Marlo in Raleigh, NC

well I would do it anyways ....

1) THEY CAN NOT DICTATE WHEN IT POSES NO RISKS TO OTHERS OR PROPERTY

2) WHEN YOU PAY RENT YOU ARE THE OWNER FOR THE LENGTH OF THE TERM MONTH TO MONTH OR LEASE TERM AS LONG AS YOUR PAYING THE BILL

3) THIS STILL IS AMERICA EVEN IF THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION IS CONFUSED BY THAT CONCEPT

4) IT IS NOT SMOKE IT IS VAPOR , A MINIATURE FOG MACHINE AND UNTIL LARGER VERSIONS ARE OUTLAWED YOU HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON IN ANY COURT IN THE COUNTRY

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
The answer to this thread is rather simple.

1. There are and always will be control nuts that own properties.

2. You can live somewhere else that does not believe in such nonsense.

Personally, as contrary as it may sound, I find it within their right to do whatever the hell they please. They own it. Stupid yes. But it is their right. That is this country.

Last edited:

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
well I would do it anyways ....

2) WHEN YOU PAY RENT YOU ARE THE OWNER FOR THE LENGTH OF THE TERM MONTH TO MONTH OR LEASE TERM AS LONG AS YOUR PAYING THE BILL

Fantastic!!! Now I can tell my tenants they can buy me a new range oven when it goes out, or if anything else breaks they can repair it or replace it themselves. or if the roof flies off during a storm or their guests can sue them when they slip and break their spine on their floor. They can also pay their homeowner's and windstorm insurance when it comes due. Hmmmm.... My life has just gotten most excellent! Thank You!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
They most likely wouldn't even know what you are talking about, just like they probally don't even understand what an e-cig is when they made the rule.

To the OP, don't even worry about it, the worst thing that could happen is that they could try to evict or fine you, and that takes of red tape to do.

I think my sarcasm was lost somewhere between my keyboard and this thread... oh, well...I tried.

illinoismom

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Midwest
Evicting some one is not as hard as people think, If you have your I dotted and T crossed it is an easy process. A couple months a go I was granted an eviction on an Illegal smell in their apartment. Yes a smell and I kid you not. Although it helped that a detective smelled it, and testified for me in court, but there was no drugs found in the apartment and only the smell

Egouser

Nov 6, 2010
US
Fantastic!!! Now I can tell my tenants they can buy me a new range oven when it goes out, or if anything else breaks they can repair it or replace it themselves. or if the roof flies off during a storm or their guests can sue them when they slip and break their spine on their floor. They can also pay their homeowner's and windstorm insurance when it comes due. Hmmmm.... My life has just gotten most excellent! Thank You!

it doesnt work quite that way .... a property is still to be maintained by the registered owner , however what you do inside your rented property provided it is not against the law of the state is in fact your own business unless it is in writing prior to the rental agreement

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
it doesnt work quite that way .... a property is still to be maintained by the registered owner , however what you do inside your rented property provided it is not against the law of the state is in fact your own business unless it is in writing prior to the rental agreement

I would agree with property owners about smoking inside. Smoking causes property damage as severe as being completely burned to the ground; and, at the very least, having to wash down and prime/repaint the walls, replace the carpets/draperies, and sand and re-stain or paint over bare wood. Property damage is always a clause in rental contracts and is protected by law.

On the other hand, I would see no reason to prohibit vaping due to the fact that there would be no property damage.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May I suggest providing the management with some informational materials that dispute their thinking? Personal Vaporizers are not smoking devices. There is no combustion, and the vapor has been proven harmless, but lots of people are basing their opinions on the FDA findings, which can be debunked with a number of documents I have found online. If you approach them with the intention of providing information, and have proof to back you up, the management might be more willing to listen to reason. There is a tri-fold brochure that you can download and print here:

CASAA.org

Here's another document:

http://www.ecassoc.org/downloads/The_Facts_About_Electronic_Cigarettes.pdf

If they are unwilling to change their policy, I'm curious as to how they think they could tell if you were vaping in your apartment? Even if someone unexpectedly knocked on your door, you wouldn't have to reach for the Glade!! While this kind of ban might be enforceable in the common areas, unless there are hidden cameras in your apartment, I can't for the life of me figure out HOW they would know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread