Apollo Ecigs Valuable Prizes and Contest Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
Barrie, ON
Instead of a cigarette for anxiety, I'm going to recommend a herb... No, not THAT herb... It's called "holy basil" and it is simply a miracle for sufferers of anxiety.

The way it works is it levels out your blood sugars and Cortisol levels, imparting a feeling of calm, or at last taking the edge off. There is no buzz, no discernable effect except that of a reduction in anxiety and stress. Aside from MAO inhibitors (lithium etc) there are no contraindications, so it's safe to take before surgery.

Normally I'm not a fan of herbal medicine...it's virtually impossible to standardize your dosage or account for impurities... But I use and recommend this all the time.

My fiancee has chronic extreme anxiety, (symptomatic of other health issues) manifesting in obsessive compulsive behavior...she turned me on to this a few years ago, and I was, to put it lightly, dubious. I used to Munch herbs like mad, and realized that most are bunk, or at best inconsistent, so I was a skeptic to the extreme. (I'm also a cynic, probably to much so).

The ones you want are not the raw herb, but a tincture that has been encapsulated into gel pills. It works pretty fast, and the effects are astounding.

You might say it's "Doctor Recommended". :)

Feel better!

vaping since: a while
Cigarettes avoided: lots
Money saved: probably not
devices: Yes
(insert crappy graphic and vendor logo here)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Instead of a cigarette for anxiety, I'm going to recommend a herb... No, not THAT herb... It's called "holy basil" and it is simply a miracle for sufferers of anxiety.

The way it works is it levels out your blood sugars and Cortisol levels, imparting a feeling of calm, or at last taking the edge off. There is no buzz, no discernable effect except that of a reduction in anxiety and stress. Aside from MAO inhibitors (lithium etc) there are no contraindications, so it's safe to take before surgery.

Normally I'm not a fan of herbal medicine...it's virtually impossible to standardize your dosage or account for impurities... But I use and recommend this all the time.

My fiancee has chronic extreme anxiety, (symptomatic of other health issues) manifesting in obsessive compulsive behavior...she turned me on to this a few years ago, and I was, to put it lightly, dubious. I used to Munch herbs like mad, and realized that most are bunk, or at best inconsistent, so I was a skeptic to the extreme. (I'm also a cynic, probably to much so).

The ones you want are not the raw herb, but a tincture that has been encapsulated into gel pills. It works pretty fast, and the effects are astounding.

Feel better!

vaping since: a while
Devices: Yes

As someone who has used herbal medicine for many years, I would normally agree with you, however this is already wed and Lettuce said surgery is monday. So I really wouldn't suggest trying something new that you don't know how you will react to and the dr's don't know you are taking this close to surgery.

Mare1077

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Miami, FL
Congrats Bolt! This is wonderful! Vaping Rocks!!!!

Good morning Apollonians!!

Today marks one whole month of not smokng analogs for me! I can't believe it!

"SPECIAL THANKS" to my good friend kewlguyjeff for introducing me to the whole vaping world!! I owe you big time my brother!!

I can honestly say that I feel a whole lot better than I did one month ago.

Have a great everyone!! Happy Vaping!!

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
Got any high-nic juice? That took the edge off for me. At this point, I can't remember the last time I had craving for a cigarette. But there are times that I NEED a 36mg vape!

Hang tough!
I agree, but the caveat that I still want a cig - and that makes me feel bad.

I'm having a large amount of anxiety right now -
I have major surgery coming up on Monday. I'll be in the operating room 6-8 hours. I'm scared.

And, in the past, my reaction when I have anxiety is to smoke.
So, right now, I want to smoke. A lot.
I've been trying to stay in the house and not go out at all (I'm off work right now in preparation for the surgery), because if I go out, I'm afraid I'll stop and get a pack.

I've been vaping like a mad-woman and it helps, but in the back of my mind is the thought of a cigarette.

I know it's just anxiety - it's purely mental. But, DARN, it's hard.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
That's pretty interesting! I'll have to look for it.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
OKAY - Never heard of this one before . . .

Now while I am not that opposed to try something new and or different, especially something that is helpful to "leveling" out Blood Sugar/Cortisol . . . My concern using something herbal like this is it's affect on and interaction with other medications that anyone is taking for Diabetes and Hormone therapy (like I am) . . . Also, I would be concerned if this anything like "St John Wart" - which really ran havoc with me - ABSOLUTELY NO SUN - and sleepy all the time . . .

I would appreciate first hand knowledge - So can you tell me more about it's effect on you ? Do You use the "oil" - Take in a tablet - Mix with Foods as I read is done in some Asian Countries . . . (If not in the thread here - in a PM) THANKS ! ! ! :D

OH AND BTW - From a quick check and search about it on the web it doesn't look to bad and might just work - particularly given it's overall benefits and that it is also an antioxidant. However, from what I read at a couple of medical websites, if you take any aspirin therapy or use Anticoagulant/Pentobarbital medications it should not be used.

DISCLAIMER: Once again I Am Not a Medical Professional - Any and All Information I share is from a Personal Perspective and "My" Experience. No One Should Take Anything I Say As Fact and Should Do Their Own Research to Confirm.

Feel better!

Vaping since: a while

The Doctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
Barrie, ON
As someone who has used herbal medicine for many years, I would normally agree with you, however this is already wed and Lettuce said surgery is monday. So I really wouldn't suggest trying something new that you don't know how you will react to and the dr's don't know you are taking this close to surgery.

Unless there is a history of liver issues, I wouldn't be concerned. Holy basil does have some physiological effects, but they are without exception benign. The only concern I would be wary of is the liver effect, if one is diabetic (it actually is used by naturopaths to regulate blood sugar levels) or has liver damage, I would consult someone first... COX 2 inhibitors can have adverse effects on these folks, and holy basil does elicit some of the same effects.

Neurologically, I've yet to see anything with the same modality of action elicit the same effect as consistently and with no side effects. (although I have seen 2 people go through increased anxiety upon cessation of use.. This may be purely psychological, as the anxiety subsided within hours and did not persist beyond singular, isolated incidences.)

If there is ANY concern with taking it...don't. Psychological stress is the last thing you need pre-surgery.

It is noteworthy, however, that the biological half life is extremely short (few hours) and does expel itself completely within 48 hours. The neurochemical modality is even shorter, and effects cease after about 8 hours.

Sorry for long windedness, it's rare that I get to use my education anymore, lol.

Long story short? If you are worried at all... Don't. Either way, I'm sure you will have a ton of positive, protective and healing energy coming at you from friends, e-friends, and family. With support like that, you have nothing to worry about! :)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Unless there is a history of liver issues, I wouldn't be concerned. Holy basil does have some physiological effects, but they are without exception benign. The only concern I would be wary of is the liver effect, if one is diabetic (it actually is used by naturopaths to regulate blood sugar levels) or has liver damage, I would consult someone first... COX 2 inhibitors can have adverse effects on these folks, and holy basil does elicit some of the same effects.

Neurologically, I've yet to see anything with the same modality of action elicit the same effect as consistently and with no side effects. (although I have seen 2 people go through increased anxiety upon cessation of use.. This may be purely psychological, as the anxiety subsided within hours and did not persist beyond singular, isolated incidences.)

If there is ANY concern with taking it...don't. Psychological stress is the last thing you need pre-surgery.

It is noteworthy, however, that the biological half life is extremely short (few hours) and does expel itself completely within 48 hours. The neurochemical modality is even shorter, and effects cease after about 8 hours.

Sorry for long windedness, it's rare that I get to use my education anymore, lol.

Long story short? If you are worried at all... Don't. Either way, I'm sure you will have a ton of positive, protective and healing energy coming at you from friends, e-friends, and family. With support like that, you have nothing to worry about! :)

It wasn't a concern over the medication that I said what I did about not taking it this close to surgery, but due to the fact no one can be sure if they will have a reaction to anything, til they have tried it.

In a case like this I also don't suggest trying a new food or perfume for the same reasons. While it could be perfectly safe, and chances may be slim that anyone would have any sort of allergic reaction, you should always weight that chance against what is going on. This close to a surgery, any major reaction to something new might be cause of delay for the surgery.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Tink........how did the eye dr appt go?? Are you seeing better now?

Wow lettuce, prayers for you hun for the surgery!! Surgery is always serious....but I hope it's nothing TOO serious. I still want a cig a lot and sometimes it's nearly overwhelming, but so far have held on with vaping. Not going out is a good idea.

Wahoooooooooo bolt and nancy!!

priorities

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2012
wherever my daydreams take me
Oh Lettuce...{{hugs}} to you sweetheart* oh goodness so sorry to hear that...* I can only imagine how stressed you are over that..and it's perfectly understandable that you would feel that way...Oh I will keep you in my thoughts..hoping all goes well for you Lettuce...and I wouldn't take anything new without just giving a call to the Dr...just think it's best sweetheart...Aww feel so bad for you...if there is anything I can do please let me know ok....*
t225229383.gif

I agree, but the caveat that I still want a cig - and that makes me feel bad.

I'm having a large amount of anxiety right now -
I have major surgery coming up on Monday. I'll be in the operating room 6-8 hours. I'm scared.

And, in the past, my reaction when I have anxiety is to smoke.
So, right now, I want to smoke. A lot.
I've been trying to stay in the house and not go out at all (I'm off work right now in preparation for the surgery), because if I go out, I'm afraid I'll stop and get a pack.

I've been vaping like a mad-woman and it helps, but in the back of my mind is the thought of a cigarette.

I know it's just anxiety - it's purely mental. But, DARN, it's hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread