Apolloecigs.com Lavatube

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
maybe a box just got switched somewhere and you got sent an incomming one...things happen. Definately let us know how it goes. The LCD on my tube does seem set kinda far back, but with no frame of reference, it is hard to tell. Mine works like a freakin champ though and the LCD is nice and bright.

You're lucky. Mine is recessed on the left side, but it sticks out about 1/2-1mm. on the right side. You can see the edge of the plastic LCD screen clearly on that side. Makes me want to push down on it to even it up and kinda bugs me. I'm too lazy to complain about it. Just hope it doesn't end up chipping there. Looks like the screen should be flush on both sides and slightly recessed top and bottom where the body is curved.

You're right about the LCD. After seeing PBusardo's review (after I ordered it, of course) I was afraid the screen would be dim or inconsistent or hard to read. I think he didn't take the plastic off because mine is bright and clear. And my eyes aren't what they used to be. The little buttons all stick out the same amount too, which is another frequent QC issue. So, my only complaint with the fit and finish is the screen. I guess I should just shut up and be glad there's nothing worse.

georgie_concept

Verified Member
Just a heads up for anyone buying a lavatube from apollo. Don't bother paying a ridiculous 8 bucks or whatever it is for an atomizer. I got my lavatube and tried the atty they gave and it's crap compared to the LR attys I got from China. Buy them in bulk for way cheaper, before paying an arm and leg for 1 or 2.

2cents

you tried a single atty from them?
just wondering ;o)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was ready to jump on the Lavatube or the Apollo Vtube. I'm still excited about the technology appearing in the lower price range. Once I did some research, I found out that lower resistance coils force it into voltage step down. That's fine for protection, but 2.0 cartos won't vape higher than 3.7v? Dual coils take it down to 3.2v? Why have to move to 3.0 cartos to vape at 5.0v? Some are saying that 2.5 ohm cartos are limited in the voltage range.

Center post problems out of the box? PBusardo's VapingZone VV tube review exhibited that same problem. A 510 carto tank wouldn't make contact on the full size model, but would on the Mini.

It looks like these are all procured from the same China source and rebranded. Maybe the QC will evolve along with the current capacity as the reviews point out the issues. Look at his voltage graphs with various resistance atomizers. There's voltage cutoff from 2.0 ohms and down.

I just don't see the utility in either device. I really like the features and design. I like the fact that it uses an 18650 2200mah battery. The eGo, while not as robust, will vape a dual coil with no problem (I know it's not recommended) and it's only rated at 2.5a. Is it true that the Lavatube and Vtube will only allow vape at 2.0 ohms and above even though they are rated at 2.5a?

I really want to order one of these, but I'm a little nonplussed at the limitations of a device that uses a high drain IMR battery being held back. Maybe someone can explain the reasoning for this.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I've used G4, CE2 and CE3 based cartos in the range of 2.0-2.5 ohms with the LT. I'm using a Vision Stone Tank right now. It's 2.1ohms and I can definitely tell a difference in the vape up to at least 4.2V. Checking loaded voltage, it's reporting differences until 4.4, where it levels off. I'm not so sure all LT's act exactly the same, but I can live with that.

I'm not a huge fan of DC cartos, so I haven't tried them except to test the firing of a DCT, but I've heard other people have had good results with a 2.0 or 2.5 DC carto. Personally, a 3.0 Boge gives me all the range I want in terms of warmth and vapor production. If I want 5 or 6V on a LR coil, I have another PV to handle that.

You're right that it's a little annoying to know that your voltage range is being limited. Kind of like driving a go-kart with a 100mph governor. In the real world, while actually vaping, it's less of a limitation than it sounds like. At least for me and the juice I prefer.

The issue with tanks and center posts only applies to certain LTs and certain tanks, like Smoketechs DCT, with a wide bottom flange and no provision for air intake other than the holes in the connector. The little nubs at the perimeter of the top of the LT are raised slightly above the top edge of the 510 connector and that prevents the DCT's center post from reaching the center post of the LT in some units. Personally, I think the DCT sucks, but I tried it anyway and had no problem with it firing. Someone else might need to raise the center post.

Incidentally, I did have to pull the center post up a tiny bit to make the LT fire with a 510/808 adapter. And I had to do the same thing to make the DCT fire with my Baby Bullet. So, I don't consider this a serious issue and it isn't limited to the LT at any rate. Two tank styles I found that do work well on the LT are the Vision Grande and the Vision Stone. They fit and look like they were designed for it. Their bottom diameter is almost exactly the inside diameter of those nubs on the top cap of the LT. Narrow tanks are the ticket. With wider tanks, the center post may need to be raised very slightly, or a 510/510 extender can be used. I plan to end the problem of needing XL cartos for a leaky, stuffy DCT by getting a J-Tank that takes standard length 3ohm Boge cartos. There are more tanks that fit well on the LT than don't.

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
Just a heads up for anyone buying a lavatube from apollo. Don't bother paying a ridiculous 8 bucks or whatever it is for an atomizer. I got my lavatube and tried the atty they gave and it's crap compared to the LR attys I got from China. Buy them in bulk for way cheaper, before paying an arm and leg for 1 or 2.

2cents

The battery was a bogus and so was the atty. The charger seemed decent but I gave it away. I recommend buying the tube by itself wherever you can and just buy the parts individually from trusted vendors.

The_Jerkstore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was ready to jump on the Lavatube or the Apollo Vtube. I'm still excited about the technology appearing in the lower price range. Once I did some research, I found out that lower resistance coils force it into voltage step down. That's fine for protection, but 2.0 cartos won't vape higher than 3.7v? Dual coils take it down to 3.2v? Why have to move to 3.0 cartos to vape at 5.0v? Some are saying that 2.5 ohm cartos are limited in the voltage range.

Center post problems out of the box? PBusardo's VapingZone VV tube review exhibited that same problem. A 510 carto tank wouldn't make contact on the full size model, but would on the Mini.

It looks like these are all procured from the same China source and rebranded. Maybe the QC will evolve along with the current capacity as the reviews point out the issues. Look at his voltage graphs with various resistance atomizers. There's voltage cutoff from 2.0 ohms and down.

I just don't see the utility in either device. I really like the features and design. I like the fact that it uses an 18650 2200mah battery. The eGo, while not as robust, will vape a dual coil with no problem (I know it's not recommended) and it's only rated at 2.5a. Is it true that the Lavatube and Vtube will only allow vape at 2.0 ohms and above even though they are rated at 2.5a?

I really want to order one of these, but I'm a little nonplussed at the limitations of a device that uses a high drain IMR battery being held back. Maybe someone can explain the reasoning for this.

I think you're confusing the data for the 2.0 carto. His gragh in the video shows the 2.0 getting up to 4.9 volts. it's the 1.5 that can't go higher than 3.7.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The battery was a bogus and so was the atty. The charger seemed decent but I gave it away. I recommend buying the tube by itself wherever you can and just buy the parts individually from trusted vendors.

How is the battery bogus? I got a 1600mah IMR with mine. Just because it's not an AW, doesn't make it bogus. AW doesn't have a patent on NiMn IMR batteries. AW is just a label like everyone else. Andy Wang doesn't make his own batteries. TW uses the same IMR's and puts their cool label on them, just like AW and everyone else does. This IMR could easily have been made by the same factory that makes AW batteries. There aren't that many companies that actually make batteries, you know. Apollo is now supplying Panasonic batteries. Something wrong with Panasonic?

The charger is the exact same charger I already have and have used for about 5 years. Nothing wrong with it either.

The atty I don't know about. What's a "bogus" atty? I used it a couple times, but I don't drip anymore. It worked just fine. I imagine its probably a SLB. It's not a LR. If you've been using a LR, of course you'd think it's crap. You're comparing apples and oranges. In a Lavatube, you'd be defeating your own purpose if you used a LR atty anyway. Fact is, it's probably from the exact same manufacturer that made the attys freeall got from China. Is it worth $8? Probably not. It was free with the kit. It's probably just as good as any of the attys you can buy for $6 + $3 shipping on other sites. If you're getting one or two with your Lavatube, it's a wash.

So, I paid $60 shipped for the Apollo kit. The cheapest stand alone tube I could find was $49 PLUS shipping. No battery, no charger, no atty, no drip tip and no case, which is pretty nice, BTW. Not to mention a 30 day warranty vs a 1 yr. warrranty. You do the math.

Last edited:

waynebrady

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Houston
customer service is what I was hoping it would be. please do keep us updated. For me its ok for mistakes to happen its how the company responds to those mistakes that makes the difference.
Got my replacement tube kit today; vaping on it right now and everything is working just fine. Sent back the old kit today as well.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
How is the battery bogus? I got a 1600mah IMR with mine. Just because it's not an AW, doesn't make it bogus. AW doesn't have a patent on NiMn IMR batteries. AW is just a label like everyone else. Andy Wang doesn't make his own batteries. TW uses the same IMR's and puts their cool label on them, just like AW and everyone else does. This IMR could easily have been made by the same factory that makes AW batteries. There aren't that many companies that actually make batteries, you know. Apollo is now supplying Panasonic batteries. Something wrong with Panasonic?

The charger is the exact same charger I already have and have used for about 5 years. Nothing wrong with it either.

The atty I don't know about. What's a "bogus" atty? I used it a couple times, but I don't drip anymore. It worked just fine. I imagine its probably a SLB. It's not a LR. If you've been using a LR, of course you'd think it's crap. You're comparing apples and oranges. In a Lavatube, you'd be defeating your own purpose if you used a LR atty anyway. Fact is, it's probably from the exact same manufacturer that made the attys freeall got from China. Is it worth $8? Probably not. It was free with the kit. It's probably just as good as any of the attys you can buy for $6 + $3 shipping on other sites. If you're getting one or two with your Lavatube, it's a wash.

So, I paid $60 shipped for the Apollo kit. The cheapest stand alone tube I could find was $49 PLUS shipping. No battery, no charger, no atty, no drip tip and no case, which is pretty nice, BTW. Not to mention a 30 day warranty vs a 1 yr. warrranty. You do the math.

Very well said and I agree completely and by the way the Panasonic IMR is a very good battery and many say it is better than the AW.
:2cool::vapor:

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
The batts I got from TW work great and I have had no issues with them. They charge up fine (4.18v) and I take them out when it gets to the "flashing LED" trickle state on the charger. I did let one go untill it went green and stayed green and it came off the charger at 4.21v.

I have heard good things about both the panasonic and AW IMR's. I would feel pretty comfortable using them from either company.

The atty's I got were prone to drip leakage, but worked fine with a cart. (who else tried that? Probably no one! :) )

Would I use them? only in an emergency. I have nice atty's that I use and like. I tested them to make sure they fired, then tried one with dripping and it leaked. Put a cart on it, vaped a cart. rinsed it out, let it dry and primed it with straight VG. Put in a Nunc cryovial to keep them fresh (any airtight case will do). These expired at work, so I snagged them and they fit an atty like a glove! (NUNC 1.8ml Free standing star bottom non-coded for anyone who is looking for them.)

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
It has just come to my attention that there may be physical factors that limit the maximum capacity of an IMR battery to 2000mah. I'm not 100% sure of this and perhaps Panasonic or someone else has broken that 2000mah ceiling. But, there has been at least one case of a wholesaler passing off a 2200mah unprotected Lithium-Cobalt battery as an IMR. In the VTube, or Lavatube, there is a certain amount of protection in the device. But if you have a battery advertised as a 2200mah IMR, you should use caution, verify it and/or not use it, especially in a high drain device with no overdischarge protection built in.

I should stress that this is not a fault of the vendor of your V/Lava Tube. They are possibly being defrauded by their supplier and should have this issue brought to their attention so they can confirm the chemistry of any 2200mah batteries they ship with this device.

EDIT: I just found a 2250mah IMR made by Panasonic in Japan. So there is a IMR over 2000mah. I don't know if the length will allow it's use in the V/LavaTube however. Unfortunately, it's 2250, rather than 2200mah, which still leaves room for questioning a 2200mah.
Here's the link for the Panasonic 2250 IMR: http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...r18650ch-10a-18650-rechargeable-battery-cell/

Last edited:

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
I should stress that this is not a fault of the vendor of your V/Lava Tube. They are possibly being defrauded by their supplier and should have this issue brought to their attention so they can confirm the chemistry of any 2200mah batteries they ship with this device.

I never faulted Apollo (or really any vendor for that matter) about the contents of the kit. I just know the battery and atty I received in the kit are not up to par with the quality I've come to use. If you disagree, then we simply just have a difference in preference of quality.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I never faulted Apollo (or really any vendor for that matter) about the contents of the kit. I just know the battery and atty I received in the kit are not up to par with the quality I've come to use. If you disagree, then we simply just have a difference in preference of quality.

That post you were responding to wasn't addressing your concerns with the contents of your kit. Sorry if I gave that impression or engaged in threadjacking. I had received a PM from an employee of a vendor that brought to my attention the issue of bogus IMR's supplied to vendors, not necessarily Apollo. I thought this would be an appropriate thread to mention it, since we were discussing issues of battery quality.

Is that the best IMR around? Certainly not. Best In One has a nearly identical IMR for 2/$9.98 shipped. When a vendor is shipping genuine, verified, AW's or Panasonics, you can bet that you'll know about it in advance. If they advertise an included battery without specifying the manufacturer or brand, you should expect a generic that naturally won't be up to par with what you are accustomed to using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread