Are Higher wattage/Lower resistance mods better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truztn01

Nov 16, 2017
Hey, so im on the market for a new mod..because the stealth mod im using now is junk, to be honest...and Im really trying to weigh my options.

Does higher wattage and lower resistance mean that the mod is better? Because ive seen some very expensive mods that are only like 60w output...like the dna mods for example. a lot of them only go under 100w..i know there are models that go up higher...but does that mean they are better?

And not just dna mods...lots of mods that are not high wattage seem really good options...so my question is this..

does a higher wattage and lower resistance mean better? if so, why? if not, why?
and what would you recommend for both?

thanks

Reactions: stols001

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
What is better based on? Is a big car better than a small car?
If you vape at high power using low ohm coils a higher powered mod would be better than a lower powered one... if you what Ling battery life and vape high ohm low power... you might still choose the higher wattage multi battery mod.

Me i don't like running any gadget at full power... so I tend to get devices that output at least 2x more than I will need.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There is no best mod, only what is best for you. If you like large clouds, you will need higher wattages. There are lower wattage mods that may be quite expensive for folks who don't need high wattage as they are built very well and produce a great vape. Same can be said for higher wattage mods, I vape very low wattage but have a few as I love the vape, getting great battery life, and using TC mode. It really comes down to personal preference.... :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
does a higher wattage and lower resistance mean better? if so, why? if not, why?
The quick answer is NO.

You also need to define what the word "better" means to YOU.

The Provari from Provape sort of set the gold standard for excellence when it was first introduced in 2010. Considered underpowered by some by todays standards (and even when it was introduced), it continued to maintain its reputation of excellence by a genre of MTL "Tootle Puffers" who vaped high resistance, low power. Provape caved in to the FDA's Deeming Regulations earlier this year and is no longer produced. Why Provari?

I bring up the US made Provari because it was considered a relatively expensive mod at the time at $200. Critics would complain that you could get a Chinese mod with more power and all the "bells & whistles" for $75. There was no way Provape could get around the additional costs of an American made product. Yet Provari owners were so loyal to the company that many purchased multiple Provari's; not because they had to, but because they wanted to.

To answer your own question, ask yourself does the way you vape require higher wattage and low resistance right now? Are you a mouth-to-lung (MTL) vaper, or a deep-lung vaper? A MTL vaper can easily get by with a lower powered device, but a deep lung cloud chaser will likely require a high wattage regulated mod that can fire sub-ohm coils.

Even if your basic power requirements are minimal, a high wattage mod can also mean a device which has longer battery life between charges. Many of these 75 watt plus mods are two or three battery devices -- if you use them at lower wattages then the battery life will last 2 - 4 days between charges.

Most of today's manufacturers seem to be in a race to make the most powerful mod on the market. All that power doesn't necessarily mean its a better product, especially when that product can't actually put out the advertised specification when tested (ie Segelei 213).

I have the Segelei Fuchai 213 Plus as my backup mod. I'm aware of the discrepancies in advertised vs real specs, but because I vape under 40 watts it doesn't matter to me that the 213 can't put out 213 watts or has lousy temperature control (which I don't use). It's still a good looking, reliable, 2-battery regulated mod that meets MY needs in wattage mode.​

"Better" to me means excellence in design, manufacturing, aesthetic appeal, durability, reliability, intuitiveness, manufacturer support after the sale. I've owned 3 Provaris, an Altsmoke Silver Bullet mech, and a Reo bottom feeder mech mod. All of these, IMHO, were "better" mods compared to their competition in their respective class -- then and now. All but the Reo are now no longer manufactured, and the manufacturer of the Reo is now semi-retired.

For the first 3 - 4 years of my vaping history I was a Tootle Puffer. Then when I began using rebuildables (making my own coils) a couple of years ago, I became a direct lung, high wattage, low resistance vaper. Speaking for myself, vaping has been a long journey and my vaping preferences have evolved over that time.

Currently, my primary mod is the JAC Vapour Series B 75W. There's a lot that I like about this mod. I think it looks sexy. Size, comfort and form factor, DNA chip, ergonomic design, customer support reputation. I'm not happy with the rubberized paint finish because it scratches easy, so I have ordered a protective skin for it. Rumor has it that a stainless steel version is on the horizen.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Imo... my best mod is my old brass tube mech.... if for no other reason... a tube mech itself is pretty much fail proof...... no PCB to fry. My build could fail my batteries can... but the brass tube no way. My best performing mod is my regulated mod..... but once you get a build dialed in not much beats a mech.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey, so im on the market for a new mod..because the stealth mod im using now is junk, to be honest...and Im really trying to weigh my options.

Does higher wattage and lower resistance mean that the mod is better? Because ive seen some very expensive mods that are only like 60w output...like the dna mods for example. a lot of them only go under 100w..i know there are models that go up higher...but does that mean they are better?

And not just dna mods...lots of mods that are not high wattage seem really good options...so my question is this..

thanks

Better is a Funny word. Better for what? And for Who?

If a person uses a Very Low Resistance build, they need a Lot of Watts to make the Coil get Hot. Because for us, that's what Resistance is all about. Making a Coil get Hot for a given Voltage.

So when you see one of those Exotic Multi-Wire Coil(s) that has a Very Low Resistance, it's going to take a Lot of Watts to heat it verses a Single Wire Coil that has a lot less Mass. And a Higher Resistance.

What's Better? Or more precisely, what's Better for You? I Dunno"?

I like to use a Simple Single Wire Coil. I can get all the Hit I want out of one. And I don't need a Large Multi-Battery Mod to do it.

But the Next Person who posts may think Multi-Wire Coils are the way to go. And Needs a Mod with 100+ Watts to Drive them.

So it's all just kinda a Personal Preference

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I’m a mod builder and I use VV boards to build my mods. With VV mods that I sell the wattage depends on the coil build in the atty at the time. I can build the exotic coils (staggered fused claptons, alien coils and such) but I find that simple is better. I like to use 22g SS I’m my series RDA’s or RTA’s or 22g kanthal in my parallels rdas and RTA’s. The larger metal mass exotic coils takes a little bit to ramp up (a heck of a lot quicker with lipos vs 18650 mods) but I just like to wrap single strand wire around a 5mm ID rod and rock that. I’m using lipo batteries to run my mods cause I can charge a battery and run 2 days vaping at 200+W vs 18650 mods and having to charge batteries all evening running at the wattage I like. Now there is low voltage drop on my mods (.2 voltage drop which is really good).

I can build a high wattage (low resistance coil like a ,4 with high voltage and vaping around 200-300 watts) which is where I vape as far as wattage goes. Now I can build a high resistance coil like a ,8-1.5 ohm coil and vape at high voltage and be around 100-200 watts).

That is the best mod I have but “BEST” is all dependent on what you like to vape cause best for me vaping at 300+W could be a terrible experience for you. Best is all subjective on what YOU are looking for. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Simple answer = No it's not better
for context i use a .25 0hm dual coil in my tank (rba base for big baby beast) i barely go over 60 watts,never did 100 watts and have no intention of wanting to i prefer flavor instead of more vapor, but even at around 60 watts i make more than enough vapor to satisfy most people.

most companies these days just add everything including the kitchen sink these days just so you go OHH look this one is nice and has all these cool functions, but the reality is all those "cool functions" drain your batteries much more faster in the long run, for example i have a sigelei kaos spectrum (with the light circle thingy) i do use the lights but if i used high wattages i wouldn't get 2 days of battery out of it, fact is i sometimes only get 1.5 days. So no higher wattage + more functions is not better at all, imo the simpler the better.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Pretty much what everyone's said.
I have a high powered mod, Revenger, that is now just a back up. It's a solid device but it's not the best for me.

I sqonk. I rarely hit 60w. My Therion is by far the best mod for me. If asked if recommend it but I wouldn't tell someone it's the best one they could get. To me it's beautiful and it works very well. The DNA board in it has been solid and precise.

You would be smart to not only look at the mod, but the tank/RDA and decide if you want a kit or would be better served buying each sperate. Matching the MTL/DTL atty to a mod my end being your "best".

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
OP, @QcVaper mentioned he doesn’t vape at high wattage because he prefers flavor over clouds. This is usually said by vapers that has never tried vaping at higher wattages. People who vape at low wattage and has never tasted the flavor from a high wattage device can’t really say that they don’t vape at high wattage because the flavor is better. I get more flavor vaping at 200W than I do anywhere under 100W. Ask anybody who vapes around or over 150W-200W+ and they will tell you that the flavor is a huge difference from low wattage. The more wattage you throw at an RDA or a true RTA (not the tanks are made for coil heads that has a RBA deck) the more vapor, more nicotine and if your increasing the vapor and the nicotine of corse the other thing that comes with it is more flavor.

I’m not knocking QcVqper for the way he vapes. Like I said, to each his own but I was just simply letting it be known to someone that hasn’t “been there, done that” can’t honestly say that it’s not better because they have never tasted the flavor from a mod and RDA/RTA at those higher wattages.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
OP, @QcVaper mentioned he doesn’t vape at high wattage because he prefers flavor over clouds. This is usually said by vapers that has never tried vaping at higher wattages. People who vape at low wattage and has never tasted the flavor from a high wattage device can’t really say that they don’t vape at high wattage because the flavor is better. I get more flavor vaping at 200W than I do anywhere under 100W. Ask anybody who vapes around or over 150W-200W+ and they will tell you that the flavor is a huge difference from low wattage. The more wattage you throw at an RDA or a true RTA (not the tanks are made for coil heads that has a RBA deck) the more vapor, more nicotine and if your increasing the vapor and the nicotine of corse the other thing that comes with it is more flavor.

I’m not knocking QcVqper for the way he vapes. Like I said, to each his own but I was just simply letting it be known to someone that hasn’t “been there, done that” can’t honestly say that it’s not better because they have never tasted the flavor from a mod and RDA/RTA at those higher wattages.

You probably are right idk about high wattage all i know is that it's not for me i like slow and steady puffs not a quick inhale like a maniac (mostly speaking about videos you usually see) High wattage dosen't provide you a vape as cool as lower wattage do either, i don't feel the need and i think it's complete overkill, then again that's just me you're free to think otherwise that's totally okay i like my rba at 60 watts you like it higher fine for you that's the whole joy about vaping imo :p different opinions and the fact we can freely talk about it (at least for now ).

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Good quality?
Smoants Battlestar gets many recommendations here. Eleaf products are mentioned quite often as well.

Really depends on budget.

RDTA may be an easy place to start for rebuilding, or maybe a clone RDA from FT or the like. Personally I'd spend little on an RDTA or RDA to start if you're not sure you'd like it.

Building simple coils isn't that difficult. Small kit, wire, tab if you want (although you could use you're regulated device to check ohm), then YouTube videos for basics. Oh and cotton.

Could also just pick a pre-built variety box if you order a clone from FT, saves money if you think it's not for you.

To beat a dead horse:
I decided I'd like to use rebuildables. Considered my time and patience, then ordered a clone Goon from FT. While waiting on that I came across a Limitless + and jumped in, spending twice more than the FT clone. Couldn't rebuild (really wick) to save my life and it sits unused. The Goon clone however showed me I can build without the damn wicking issues the RDTA presented. That led of course to dripping, then sqonking.

Lastly, there's the RBA. A Smok baby beast with an RBA deck isn't hard to build on and works well. Fairly inexpensive as well. I also have a Wismec Gnome with RBA, very tiny and a pain, but a good (not stellar) tank with coils that aren't terribly expensive and last a bit.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
You probably are right idk about high wattage all i know is that it's not for me i like slow and steady puffs not a quick inhale like a maniac (mostly speaking about videos you usually see) High wattage dosen't provide you a vape as cool as lower wattage do either, i don't feel the need and i think it's complete overkill, then again that's just me you're free to think otherwise that's totally okay i like my rba at 60 watts you like it higher fine for you that's the whole joy about vaping imo :p different opinions and the fact we can freely talk about it (at least for now ).

That’s why I said to each his own. That’s one thing I like about vaping cause no matter how different we all are, there is a vape for everyone and we all started for the same reason...to make us healthier and quit smoking.

I don’t inhale quick like some of the people you see on FB. I inhale just as if you were breathing and the flavor is outstanding at higher wattage pulse I can go down in nic strength cause I get more vapor in one of my hits at 200W in comparison to one of you hits at 60W. You like a cooler vape while I like a hot vape. There again, there is a vape for everyone. We can agree to disagree and be fine with that cause we respect each other’s opinions and if we were to meet, we could enjoy a vape together along with a convo.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
So..if u could recommend a good, quality mod...which would it be? And would you recommend rebuilding coils? And if so, which tank would you recommend for me to buy for rebuilding? As mentioned..I'm using a evic primo mini 80w...right now I use a Cleito exo tank...if I wanted to start rebuilding coils..what's a good option for me? Thanks guys

First thing I would ask is what is your budget? I would say if you have a little bit of money to spend on one I would get a custom mod made to what your style is. High powered lipo or a single /dual 18650 custom mod. Your going to spend anywhere from $150 on up to $350 for a mod but I can bet that it’s the last mod you will HAVE to buy (maybe not the last one you will buy). Myself, I go with lipo mods such as the ones I build (pic below). You can’t beat the battery life on a single charge. If I were you I would look into a DNA250 board in a custom enclosure. It’s up to you wether to use a lipo battery or 18650’s. Do some research and figure out what you want.

I build all my own coils from single strand micro coils to the alien and staggered fused claptons. I would prefer to build my coils and use a dedicated RTA instead of a tank such as one from the Smok line of “beast” tanks that takes a coil head that takes a couple tank fulls to break in where the RTA’s I use you build a coil, wick it, juice it and go. No break in time at all.

Now for the tank. I like my 30mm RTA/RDA’s and my 41mm RDA/RTA’s. If you have any box mod (lipo or 18650 mod in a B box enclosure), the 30mm will fit on it (below is one of if not the best 30mm RTA I’ve come across). It’s called the Modfather RTA. It has enough room to put any build you want in it. I can fit up to 3.5mm ID coils in it. It has a parallel deck along with a series deck. This RTA also has a short kit along with a tall kit. As you see it in the pic it holds 10ml of juice. Tall kit holds 18ml and the short kit holds 5ml (The Modfather Inc 30mm RTA). Check out some reviews on it on YouTube. You won’t be disappointed.

Now as for the coils. If I were you I would look into the CoilMaster kit building kit with a voltmeter. It comes with everything you need to start learning to build coils. I would start off with the K.I.S.S. method. I build multiple kinds of exotic coils and I find myself always going back to simple single strand 22g SS 316L wire wrapped around a 3.5mm-5mm ID shaft. Can’t beat them.

I would say you need to think about your vaping style, figure out what you want and do some research to find out what will suit your vaping style the best and go with it. You know you and the way you vape better than we do so all we can do is give you our opinions for what WE like. Hope this helps out. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on here or send me or any of us one here (speaking for others but I doubt others will mind if you contact them with questions).

777f7904fbfe6889464ea9e4cd15b7e4.jpg

5b4e295d5fd48c4007d63bd90a985275.jpg

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That’s why I said to each his own. That’s one thing I like about vaping cause no matter how different we all are, there is a vape for everyone and we all started for the same reason...to make us healthier and quit smoking.

I don’t inhale quick like some of the people you see on FB. I inhale just as if you were breathing and the flavor is outstanding at higher wattage pulse I can go down in nic strength cause I get more vapor in one of my hits at 200W in comparison to one of you hits at 60W. You like a cooler vape while I like a hot vape. There again, there is a vape for everyone. We can agree to disagree and be fine with that cause we respect each other’s opinions and if we were to meet, we could enjoy a vape together along with a convo.

The only thing i'd like to add here is that vaping to me is 100x more relaxing than smoking ever was even if it sounds crazy having that sweet smell in the air helps me with much more than quitting the stinkies ahah (won't get into details so you'll have to believe me on that one :p)
Edit: forgot to mention i'm still searching for that "sweetspot" on my rba coils so i change wattage alot lately but i always tend to stay below 80 watts just like now (currently at 65 watts)

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

I seriously doubt that pure flavor is a result of more power

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Here is something I posted Awhile Back...

Taste is Kinda Subjective.

A Friend of mine's Son vapes at Very High Wattages using Room Fogging coils. He let me try his rig one time and I just about Gagged. After about 2 minutes of coughing, I handed him My Set-up and told him to try it.

He took a Hit off it and His face got all Screwed Up. He then asked me How I could use something like that? It was Like Vaping Candy.

I told him I guess One Size Doesn't Fit All? And went to get a Drink of Water.

LOL

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
My advice would be to buy a mid power mod something in the 50 to 75W range that is within your budget and then experiment with different attys. Attys are cheaper to mess with than trying to set up a specific style of mod atty combo. You could blow a lot of money buying a multi battery 150 to 250W mod and a tank that uses coils rated at 100+W just to find out you hate it. A mid power mod will go down enough in power for you to try out tootle puffing rigs but still have enough kick to try out some of the higher powered sub ohm tanks.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread