Are Higher wattage/Lower resistance mods better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It depends on what you want it to do. If you really want a 200 watt mod to blow huge cloud, then buying a 60 watt mod won't help you. If you stay under 50 watts all the time, as I usually do, the 60 watt mod will be perfectly fine. Mods vary in price for a number of reasons. A big one is the brand name. Some companies have a reputation for quality and can charge more, even if the actual product is junk. Some companies have a lesser reputation and must charge lower prices even if the mod is perfect. Also the quality of workmanship and the materials used makes a difference. There are some modders out there who are-- literally-- master craftsmen, and you pay for their work. They build them one at a time, and don't let go of them until they're right. Others are made thousands per hour on automated machinery and you should get the discount from volume production. A mod machined by hand from a solid block of forged titanium will be more expensive than one cast in pot metal. Most people think the dna mod boards do a better job of TC than the SX boards, and they cost more. But if you don't use TC, who cares? If all you want is to be able to set how powerful the vape is on the machine, you can build it yourself with a $10 part that makes a variable voltage mod instead of variable wattage. That's exactly the same thing-- a variable wattage mod varies wattage by varying voltage-- except you don't get a cute screen displaying the wattage numbers and you have to use a rheostat to adjust the power instead of clicking buttons. What's that worth to you? Some folks like to play the "my mod's more powerful than yours" game; they got the "MUST HAVE MOST POWERFUL MOD ON PLANET" disease, and they might never see the topside of 100 watts in regular usage. Fine, if that's what they want, and are willing to pay for it.

The mod you want is the mod you want, the one that works for you. There is nothing intrinsically better about greater power, especially if you don't normally use it. Now, I can see buying a more powerful mod than you will actually use for a number of reasons, like for example you want a mod with 2 or 3 batteries, even if you only vape at 40 watts, so you don't have to change batteries all the time. Great! That's a perfectly good reason to buy a 200 watt mod you'll never use 2/3rds of the upper range. Maybe you like the idea of the touch-screen some of them are now using and they're all big power. Fine, says I. Some folks like the "light show" mods that are coming out. Super, if you do. But it's about what you want, and what suits you. There isn't any objective, outside standard that can be applied.

Reactions: stols001

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
I generally vape below 50 watts. But I bought a mod that goes up to 157 watts.

VOOPOO DRAG 157W TC Box Mod

I did this for a couple of reasons:

1) Since the mod uses two 18650 batteries in series, I get great battery life.

2) Sometimes I like to vape at higher wattages.

I have noticed that flavor, clouds, etc. are influenced mostly by whatever RDA I am using at the time, combined with whatever coil build that I am doing.

I'm new to all this, but I would suggest buying a fairly inexpensive (but highly rated) mod - then spending the money you save on different RDAs, and coils (pre-made).

Once you find a setup that you like, then you can make or buy the wire to make the coils. For example, I am finding that alien clapton coils work well for me. So rather than make my own wire, I am going to get some pre-made alien clapton wire and wind my own coils.

But like everyone said, everything is subjective.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I can think of one advantage for a new vapor getting a higher powered mod. You can try everything. High resistance builds, low resistance builds. Atties with one coil. Atties with eight. I've found my vaping range and a 75W mod will cover most every atty I build. That's fine even with the higher wattage mods I have as they work fine at lower wattage settings and have multiple batteries for longer life. The cost difference is really small between many mods regardless of power output. Having said that, all of my mods have found a home. The single battery 75W mods get paired with mtl high resistance atties and get real good battery life. The double battery 75W mods are my mainstay. I have one mod that is capable of 350 Watts. That is the only one that rarely get's used. It's a behemoth and there's something about four batteries in one mod that just doesn't excite me. I'm sure I'll fire it up again some day just because. On the other side of the coin is the single battery squonker. I use a lot of batteries in it. All my bf atties are dl and are sub ohm. It's a great vape, just goes through a lot of battery changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread