Artificial Flavor additives - what are these chemicals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some flavor extracts with additives I don't know about. Basically - 1) are they safe to vape (inhale into lungs) ? & 2) are they destructive in any way to the carto/clearo/ato/tank/coil/wick, etc.? The list I have is as follows:

Benzaldehyde
Ethyl Propionate & other Esters
Vanillin & other Aldehydes
Ethyl Vanillin
Vanilla Bean Extractives
Oil of Clove & other Essential Oils
Oils of: Orange, Lemon, Spearmint, Lorann's Natural Spearmint Oil, Peppermint
Food Coloring
Caramel Color
Xanthan Gum
Sodium Benzoate
Phosphoric Acid
Corn Syrup & C.S.solids

The oils concerned me, as I had heard that they will damage any but Pyrex tanks. Lorann's Spearmint left a hard film inside my non-Pyrex tank, but it's otherwise unharmed. I wondered if corn syrup or Xanthan Gum might clog the tank up? And Phosphoric Acid doesn't sound like something you'd want to inhale! I also heard that Cinnamon Oil is destructive to tank(?). And I seem to recall something bad was said about Vanillin, Caramel Color, Food color(?).

I know there are a lot of DIY chemists on the list who undoubtedly know more than I do about these strange ingredients. And this msg. board is so extensive that I don't have time to look thru all the posts! Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :unsure:

RonJS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
SW Chicagoland, IL

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I have some flavor extracts with additives I don't know about. Basically - 1) are they safe to vape (inhale into lungs) ? & 2) are they destructive in any way to the carto/clearo/ato/tank/coil/wick, etc.? The list I have is as follows:

Benzaldehyde
Ethyl Propionate & other Esters
Vanillin & other Aldehydes
Ethyl Vanillin
Vanilla Bean Extractives
Oil of Clove & other Essential Oils
Oils of: Orange, Lemon, Spearmint, Lorann's Natural Spearmint Oil, Peppermint
Food Coloring
Caramel Color
Xanthan Gum
Sodium Benzoate
Phosphoric Acid
Corn Syrup & C.S.solids

The oils concerned me, as I had heard that they will damage any but Pyrex tanks. Lorann's Spearmint left a hard film inside my non-Pyrex tank, but it's otherwise unharmed. I wondered if corn syrup or Xanthan Gum might clog the tank up? And Phosphoric Acid doesn't sound like something you'd want to inhale! I also heard that Cinnamon Oil is destructive to tank(?). And I seem to recall something bad was said about Vanillin, Caramel Color, Food color(?).

I know there are a lot of DIY chemists on the list who undoubtedly know more than I do about these strange ingredients. And this msg. board is so extensive that I don't have time to look thru all the posts! Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :unsure:

Corn syrup will certainly clog your coils. Think thick sugar syrup. Xanthan Gum probably as well. It's used as a stabilizer when you don't want your salad dressing to separate (among other things), but it is a particulate and I would think it would stick to the coil as it vaporized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread