Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Luna
What builds are you using in your Luna? what kind of atomizers? single or dual coil? internal diameter? Wire metal and configuration? Gauge of wire? ohms? I'm wondering what people find is best? I'm aiming more for a restricted lung 2 direct lung. Also just for the heck of it what batteries are you using?
Single coil, 2.5-3mm I.D., Kanthal A1 round wire, .5-.65 Ohms, Rayon Wick, LG HG2/Samsung 30q battery.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Luna
    What builds are you using in your Luna? what kind of atomizers? single or dual coil? internal diameter? Wire metal and configuration? Gauge of wire? ohms? I'm wondering what people find is best? I'm aiming more for a restricted lung 2 direct lung. Also just for the heck of it what batteries are you using?

Single coil rda:
    $6.44 Coppervape NarCa Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 22mm diameter / 316 stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    This wouldn't be a bad RDA for your stash. Easy as to coil, airflow wide open is very very airy restricted lung, and amazing flavour.

Back to the Luna!
    My fave builds are
    2.5mm id, 5 wrap 0.5mm x 0.2mm (28ga) kanthal, 0.7ohms

2.5mm id, 6 or 7 wrap ni90 28ga, 0.6 or 0.65ohms

3mm id, 4 wraps, kanthal 1mm x 0.14mm (26ga), 0.5ohms

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Single coil RDA:
    $6.44 Coppervape NarCa Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 22mm diameter / 316 stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    This wouldn't be a bad RDA for your stash. Easy as to coil, airflow wide open is very very airy restricted lung, and amazing flavour.

Back to the Luna!
    My fave builds are
    2.5mm id, 5 wrap 0.5mm x 0.2mm (28ga) kanthal, 0.7ohms

2.5mm id, 6 or 7 wrap ni90 28ga, 0.6 or 0.65ohms

3mm id, 4 wraps, kanthal 1mm x 0.14mm (26ga), 0.5ohms

My narca style is literally at the local post :) someone actually piffed it to me along with a firebird style rda (never heard of that one)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Luna

25r, single coil, 3.5 id ss316 26g fused clapton at around .3 ohms with plain ol’ cotton. Not saying that’s the optimal build, but it works for me until I experiment a little more.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    25r, single coil, 3.5 id ss316 26g fused clapton at around .3 ohms with plain ol’ cotton. Not saying that’s the optimal build, but it works for me until I experiment a little more.
    It seems Kanthal round wire is popular: ) I'll have to give that a go. Hopefully it will make me enjoy my Luna a little bit more. It's such a pretty little mod I just haven't quite built to what it likes yet

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    It seems Kanthal round wire is popular: ) I'll have to give that a go. Hopefully it will make me enjoy my Luna a little bit more. It's such a pretty little mod I just haven't quite built to what it likes yet

I started with SS because at the time, I had just gotten into tc. But I still had a lot of very only mods. So it made sense, because I could use them either way. I’m just starting to try kanthal and Ni80.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I just used a little bit of Kanthal ribbon wire and the Luna is working much better now. I guess she just prefers very basic wire I was trying to use Clapton and while that works with my luxotic my Luna is not fond of the Clapton wire lol

I use either kanthal or ni80 is my Luna/pumpers. I've used ss316l for 18 months - but due to the jump in resistance, and resulting wattage drop, I now prefer kanthal & ni80 in unregulated mods.

Reactions: AvaOrchid

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    My brand new Baby Blue Lustro with a Baby Brunhilde RTA on top:cool:
    image.jpeg

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Question: I have the Colossal. Tried it in temp mode, set to 13W and 430f. When I hit it, I thought wow- that's way more powerful than any other mod I have at that setting. Lowered to 400, and even 250F. Same hit.

Am I doing something wrong in setting it- maybe missing a step or something? Seems it's just hitting at the 13W, and not really functioning in Temp mode?
    upload_2020-1-19_14-34-6.png
    upload_2020-1-19_14-34-26.png

Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Question: I have the Colossal. Tried it in temp mode, set to 13W and 430f. When I hit it, I thought wow- that's way more powerful than any other mod I have at that setting. Lowered to 400, and even 250F. Same hit.

Am I doing something wrong in setting it- maybe missing a step or something? Seems it's just hitting at the 13W, and not really functioning in Temp mode?
    View attachment 864549 View attachment 864551

Did you set the base coil reading ? It's 5 clicks, swipe right until you get the OHM
    Ω icon. Tap that to set your coil reading, if you haven't already.

I use TCR mode, with 0.00110 as my ss316l reading - try that as your step 2, and adjust the numbers til it's working for you. Swipe right to adjust.

Step 3: stick some dry cotton in a coil and test it out ;)

Edit: I run mine at 350F and 17w which is my perfect vape :wub:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Did you set the base coil reading ? It's 5 clicks, swipe right until you get the OHM
    Ω icon. Tap that to set your coil reading, if you haven't already.

I use TCR mode, with 0.00110 as my ss316l reading - try that as your step 2, and adjust the numbers til it's working for you. Swipe right to adjust.

Step 3: stick some dry cotton in a coil and test it out ;)

Edit: I run mine at 350F and 17w which is my perfect vape :wub:
    Hey, I somehow fixed this, I think. Not sure how- unscrewed/rescrewed(?) atty, reset all the values to something else, changing to nickel wire, etc., then went back in and reset everything. Seems to be working now.

But Ange - where'd you get the TCR number? I was gonna try it, and kept looking for 316L tcr numbers, and most say around these numbers:
    upload_2020-1-20_14-16-33.png

Never tried TCR before, but thought I'd give it a try- what made you pick 0.00110? And I don't know anything about this stuff- would your higher number make the vape actually warmer than Steam Engine or DJL's?

Reactions: AngeNZ

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Hey, I somehow fixed this, I think. Not sure how- unscrewed/rescrewed(?) atty, reset all the values to something else, changing to nickel wire, etc., then went back in and reset everything. Seems to be working now.

But Ange - where'd you get the TCR number? I was gonna try it, and kept looking for 316L tcr numbers, and most say around these numbers:
    View attachment 864815

Never tried TCR before, but thought I'd give it a try- what made you pick 0.00110? And I don't know anything about this stuff- would your higher number make the vape actually warmer than Steam Engine or DJL's?
    SS316L is an alloy that can have different percentages of nickel (10%-14%) and still be called SS316L. This ratio can change between manufacturer and even between batches of the same wire. Unlike Titanium Grade 1 and Ni200 which have a fixed TCR value, SS316L can be anywhere from 88 to 110 etc which is why the default SS TC setting doesn't always work well. The TCR value is something you will have to tinker with to get a great TC vape from SS coils.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

View attachment 864815

@TrollDragon explains it way better than me. But I tried 0.00088 and it kept hitting protection straight away, so I went through and tried other numbers, til it was working for me.

I think there's a bug in the temp setup on the Colossal, that means it changes from say SS to nickel, whenever you switch batteries. It was mention on Vaping with Vic's review. That's another reason I went with TCR mode.

This is the best temp control review on the Colossal:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Sorry to interrupt but have any Collosal users had any issues with onboard charging.? Website states not to do it.. I imagine the Pico shouldn't be used that way but people do it regularly. Ty.

Asmodus has made it obvious they prefer batteries externally charged. But I have used the charging port on my Colossal with no problem, when it was running low in my car.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    @TrollDragon explains it way better than me. But I tried 0.00088 and it kept hitting protection straight away, so I went through and tried other numbers, til it was working for me.

I think there's a bug in the temp setup on the Colossal, that means it changes from say SS to nickel, whenever you switch batteries. It was mention on Vaping with Vic's review. That's another reason I went with TCR mode.

This is the best temp control review on the Colossal:

Okay, I get it now. So you did try those first, then tinkered. And yeah, I'd read before that TCR wasn't exact, and that SS could vary a lot. Was just wondering where your #'s came from.

Anyway, I believe you're right on the Nickel. When I went in to reset everything, it was set for that, even though I was sure the first time I set it up a while back, it was on SS. Still don't know why it gave the same hard hit, regardless of temp/watt settings while in nickel, though. Does seem buggy.

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread