Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
So, RiP Trippers posted a video on the Aspire nautilus mini & BVC coil.

In it, he goes to some length describing why he's uncertain about the BVC wick, claiming it's comes apart easily into fine-ish pieces that are "gritty".

The worry, as implied by him and expressed by comment posters, is that vapers could be inhaling the pieces.

Anybody got experience/opinions/thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The wick is made of stuff. It will break when dry. It comes from China. We have no idea what the consequences on a large population of inhaling stuff from any hot wicking material. I know cotton burns and it tastes horrible when I get a dry hit. I know silica will break. I know that at one point doctors recommended using a cigarette with a filter that contained asbestos. If they start now with a double blind study they may know the effects of inhaling it for 20 years in 20 years.

No one knows anything about the health effects of vaping. It is probably better for you than smoking. The health issues may be outweighed by the calming effect so, in general, it might be good for you. If it wasn't for the brave men in the popcorn factory we would not know about popcorn lung, which is caused by an ingredient still approved for food flavoring by the FDA.

I have just gone into how uncertain I am about any of this.

I choose to vape and I bought some of the new coils.

StealthBombing

Dec 13, 2013
Canada
Aspire has confirmed on there site and sent out a public notice stating that there new "BVC" wicks are rigorously tested and has been approved and they have recognized the public concern about these. It uses a bio ceramic fill. Bio ceramic does not damage the lungs in any form and can be cleaned out easily even if you end up getting this "grit" in there.

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
My local store... May be dropping carto tank cartos. This makes me very, very, very, VERY sad. Really? It's like dumping the one honest, true, and faithful girlfriend who ever truly loved me. I hang my head.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you're ok, and when you're ready we'll get you set up with a new girl. :D

As to the BVC heads people have got to stop taking Rip's word blindly on every little thing. He's barely an expert on anything. Every time he has an issue with anything a quarter of ECF gets all up in arms and decides to boycott said item in word or spirit.

Frankly it's a lack of personal ability to think critically. Folks want to be spoon feed opinions to make their own instead of forming unique opinions and ideas through logic and reason...

The demise of western civilization.:vapor:

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Ceramic wick is not a new thing. Ceramic wicks have been around for some time and the breaking/shattering/crumbling of them has been there as well. I have no idea if it's ceramic for sure, but if it is, it's not some ground shattering innovation that hasn't been done before.

As to the BVC heads people have got to stop taking Rip's word blindly on every little thing. He's barely an expert on anything. Every time he has an issue with anything a quarter of ECF gets all up in arms and decides to boycott said item in word or spirit.

I disagree with this statement entirely. Rip, like other reviewers, is simply sharing HIS opinion with viewers. It's you who makes the decision to click play on his videos, and it's you who makes the decision whether or not to listen to his opinion. This is not because he's not an expert, because quite frankly, nobody is an expert in a field where technology is changing on the delivery of the vape as much as on the devices themselves. There are plenty of electronics experts and metalworking experts that may know all there is to know about building a device and what that does, but that's pretty much where it stops. The delivery of the vape has thus far been decided by "taste" and "feel", or in other words "opinions". Opinions are what's driving this industry at the moment. To fault rip for sharing his opinions or to fault others for listening to them is irresponsible.

Frankly it's a lack of personal ability to think critically. Folks want to be spoon feed opinions to make their own instead of forming unique opinions and ideas through logic and reason...

I think your argument that people don't use logic and reason is a bit flawed. In a perfect world, sure, everyone should try things for themselves and develop their own opinions, good or bad, but reality makes that, ironically, illogical. The problem standing between most people and forming their own opinions in an industry where new products are being brought to market daily, is money. Unless you have the money to purchase every new item you are interested in, then most people tend to rely on the opinions of others, such as rip, to help them with their decision. The one advantage to this is that he tries far more items than most of us, as he receives a lot of them for review, so if nothing else, at least opinions are based on experience with many other devices/delivery methods. His opinions now become far more informed, based on experience, not science, than the average vaper. This doesn't make them anything more than opinions, but it does make them more informed opinions.

I'm sure that even his closest followers seek more than one review of a product before making an ultimate decision, in fact, it's the reason the OP started this thread in the first place. He heard a concern (read=opinion), which happened to be from rip (irrelevant), and he came here seeking more opinions before making the decision to spend his money on them. Whether or not you like rip is, again, and opinion. Personally, I think he does a good job of making sure people understand that what he says are HIS opinions, and based on HIS experiences, and that your opinion may be different in the end. He makes that very clear in most of his videos, as do some of the other reputable reviewers, such as pbusardo, grimmgreen, etc.

People do not have to be "experts" to make and/or share an opinion with a product. Just as rip cannot say with any true science or certainty that his "concerns" are warranted or mean anything beyond being his own concern, you can't say people seek others opinions due to their own "lack of personal ability to think critically". They are both opinions, nothing more. The very fact that the OP is seeking information BEFORE purchasing shows his critical thinking ability and logic. At the end of the day, it's simply because most people don't have the disposable income to review every product for themselves.

Not trying to pick an argument here, but I think we all seek the opinions constantly. It's the very reason this forum exists and thrives, to be honest.

To the OP, sorry to hear your local shop is discontinuing cartos, they are the "Commodore 64" of the vaping world.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Rip was the first person that I've seen or read that showed the crumbly ceramic blanket. I didn't need him to tell me to be worried but I share his concerns.

If you have that big of issues with it don't use it. :confused:It is for that reason I don't dry burn my coils I do something different. As far as a new wet coil I myself don't see a problem and will continue to use the bvc.:D

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Folks want to be spoon feed opinions to make their own instead of forming unique opinions and ideas through logic and reason...

more than one review of a product before making an ultimate decision, in fact, it's the reason the OP started this thread in the first place.

Yup - I was actually NOT taking Rip's (or any one reviewer's) opinion for gospel, thus the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread