Atomisers short life span

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
South Africa
In four months I have bought six atomisers. Four no longer work.
When new they work perfectly, but gradually deteriorate over a couple of weeks until they die.
Testing them, I get a resistance reading of one ohm and they heat up when sucking, so the elements cannot be broken, YET, no vapor, no nothing. I have tried cleaning by numerous methods given on forums, but nothing works even though they appear spotlessly clean.
Flooding the filament with liquid does not help.

Here in South Africa I pay the equivanent of 26 US dollars per atomiser.
This is proving more expensive than normal smoking, contrary to what
e-cigarette advertising claims.
I feel like sawing through an atomiser to see what possible hidden electronic component could be responsible for this situation.

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC
If you are using a 510 try this burnoff method. The big guy with the fatdora hat and the dood with the fumanchu bead demonstrate it.

It has been said to bring a dead atty back to life. If you have a 510 passthrough without the in-line battery all the better as it puts out 5v to the 510 batt 3.7.

YouTube - how to clean a 510 atomizer

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
In four months I have bought six atomisers. Four no longer work.
When new they work perfectly, but gradually deteriorate over a couple of weeks until they die.
Testing them, I get a resistance reading of one ohm and they heat up when sucking, so the elements cannot be broken, YET, no vapor, no nothing. I have tried cleaning by numerous methods given on forums, but nothing works even though they appear spotlessly clean.
Flooding the filament with liquid does not help.

Here in South Africa I pay the equivanent of 26 US dollars per atomiser.
This is proving more expensive than normal smoking, contrary to what
e-cigarette advertising claims.
I feel like sawing through an atomiser to see what possible hidden electronic component could be responsible for this situation.

That's not an outrageously high number of atty deaths, but...

How are you cleaning them? If you only get 1 ohm, coil material is probably being lost from corrosion. What is the juice you are using? If you are using water to clean them, how acidic is it? Or worse, are you using vinegar to clean them?

If the juice is right, and the cart is wicking properly, you should only need to clean them once a week or so. It sounds like you might have cleaned them to death, or else maybe fiddled with them until they are almost disconnected, but not quite. Low resistance can mean loss of coil material, or a connection is corroded.

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
South Africa
Thanks for all the replies.
Firstly, I am using the expensive brand called Twisp, the vaporisers are powered by Janty.

I did not really clean them. I simply used to unscrew them, blow out any
liquid residue and prop it up on paper toweling. I did this about three times a week.
Only AFTER they no longer worked did I try the various cleaning methods
that apparently have worked for others, namely, soak overnight in coke or
lemon juice, denture cleaner etc. and I also tried steam cleaning and high pressure cleaning. Visually the look spotless with no sign of erosion [I don't know what the invisible parts look like]

I also get a reading of 1 ohm on a brand new atomiser.

I buy my atomisers from the same supplier, mainly because I have no idea if buying a cheaper one on the internet would be compatable with the other components.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Boeriemore, Try this method...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-my-atty-resurrection-method.html#post1032570

Let me know if it works for you. Works for me every time.
As for the '1 ohm' thing, you might want to check your meter. An atty that reads one ohm will probably get super hot and/or destroy your batteries. Try to find something of known resistance (like a resistor) and check your meter reading on it. Also, are you measuring the resistance between the center post and the outer threads? (just curious)

You don't need to use any cleaners to get an atty to 'like new' condition. Just water and the method laid out in the link above. Cleaners just break down and/or gunk up the coil.

Last edited:

Bekinder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Oklahoma
That's not an outrageously high number of atty deaths, but...

How are you cleaning them? If you only get 1 ohm, coil material is probably being lost from corrosion. What is the juice you are using? If you are using water to clean them, how acidic is it? Or worse, are you using vinegar to clean them?

If the juice is right, and the cart is wicking properly, you should only need to clean them once a week or so. It sounds like you might have cleaned them to death, or else maybe fiddled with them until they are almost disconnected, but not quite. Low resistance can mean loss of coil material, or a connection is corroded.

Hi Kurt, I noticed you said something about cleaning in Vinegar here. Can you tell me why you feel a person should not do this?

I bring water to a boil, add a bit of baking soda and some cider vinegar and have had not working and then working afterwards.

I have lost about 4 atomizers before I started cleaning with this method.
Possible the nicliquid is already acidic, but have not found that in any thing I've read. Just curious as to why you advice against vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread