Atomizer (510) Cleaning with Denture Cleaner (w/Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aflatoxin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2011
Kansas City
I believe myself to be of sound scientific character, and will be setting aside my traditional atty cleaning mainstay of alcohol then near boiling water in exchange for this intriguing preparation.
I shall write back within 18Hrs and testify to the procedures effectiveness, or lack thereof.
(Now go back and read the above with a staunch 19th century British accent):p

I'm really hoping these tablets work some mighty effervescent magic!

Aflatoxin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2011
Kansas City
Ok, I used Walgreen's brand denture cleaner tablets donated (cough) from my mom.
I used two tablets. They did seem old. (I will try again with fresh tablets.)
Welp, ...I'm a tad disappointed. Don't get me wrong it did work, but I was hoping for a like-new atty, as this 510 atty is only two weeks old. Next time I will let it soak for longer then 9/10 Hrs used this time. This test is by no means done. I'm going to try this method several more times in the future. I'll be back!!!!

Bottom line:
Yes it works!!!
No, my atty isn't like new. (Not that "like-new" was ever promised.)
The jury is still out, on my end.
If I keep getting the same results? Yes, I would go back to my old cleaning ritual.
I will however keep the burn-to-red coil method though. That's amazing!

Big thank you to yigs, as yigs made a fantastic tutorial for the community. I hope my first tut will be half as good as yigs!

vape on!

Last edited:

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I just did this to one of my atties that I've been doing a simple alcohol clean with and it's really made a good difference. I've never dry-burned my atties before and it seems like it does get quite a bit of the crud out and it certainly makes the atties burn a lot quicker. This is impressive. Thanks a lot.

I have two issues - attys that get "tired" and produce less vape, and attys that are clogged and can't pass air. I've boiled them, usually to almost no effect - especially in the clogged attys. What is the best way to dissolve and remove the PG/VG material from atomizers? This question still seems to be unanswered, at least categorically.

-MJ

Did you ever find a way to unclog attys? I have two that are clogged - getting almost NO AIR to pass thru. I've tried alcohol, boiling, baking soda and vinegar ... nothing's worked. They burn fine, just can't suck any air thru.

If anyone knows how to get attys unclogged, please do post.

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
So what is the difference between using the denture cleaner and dry burn versus just using the dry burn method? To me it would seem that the objective is to remove any excess e-liquid with the water pressure from the fosset and the burning in order to remove the gunk.

So I suppose I am asking, how do the results differ from simply using the rinse/dry burn method? The end result seems the same to me.

Did you ever find a way to unclog attys? I have two that are clogged - getting almost NO AIR to pass thru. I've tried alcohol, boiling, baking soda and vinegar ... nothing's worked. They burn fine, just can't suck any air thru.

If anyone knows how to get attys unclogged, please do post.

Have you tried simply taking a needle or something of the sort to poke through the air holes on your atomizer? You might also want to try cleaning the threads on your device as well. Best of luck to you :)

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Denture cleaner has been my method of choice for many months now, and works the best. Alcohol works also, but I think it over time softens or dissolves some inner adhesives, as I have killed several attys using alcohol to clean. Never had an atty death with the denture cleaner. I use Polydent overnight tablets, and let them sit in the solution for at least 12 hours.

Some clogs can be carefully cleared with a fine needle, but one has to be really careful...VERY easy to break the coil.

Many atty clogs, however, are the result of vaping too hard on them when they start to get boggy. This overheats them and if you keep hard-sucking on them the assembly around the coil at the bottom of the atty will warp and partially block the side air holes. Several of my old ones have side airholes where you can see metal partially blocking the hole. If anyone has a way of opening these, I would love to hear...might try a sewing needle. But this is often the source of clogs that do not clean out.

Wanted to bump this as I believe the denture cleaning method is the most effective as well as least damaging to the atty itself. I have some attys that are still going strong after many months.

Glad I found this thread!! I prefer mostly VG in my DIY juices as I don't care for that TH everyone seems to be so crazy about and much prefer a load of flavorful vapor that I can exhale through my sinuses and mouth simultaneously which for me allows me to really "taste" these new flavors I'm starting to play with and really enjoy. The VG being thicker certainly gunks up attys fairly fast. Good thing there is always a box of Denture Tablets under our sink. I was in a horse riding accident years ago and have had to wear a partial for several years after major dental surgery.

~Darlene~

yigs

Oct 16, 2010
Los Angeles
I Decided to check in as I haven't been on here in a while.

Some updates:

1. Soaking in the hot Denture cleaner works best. I used an old soda bottle, although some may say there are bad plastics chemicals in those bottles I leave it in there for day (Im lazy)
2. I am a heavy Ecig user, and this method works for about ~4 cleanings before vapor production drops to ~80% of brand new
3. If you are too rough during the soaking process (I shake them up in the bottle) you will break a few atties, I think it breaks the fragile solder points of the heating element when they are banged together.
4. Soaking before the atty is completely clogged seems to prevent permanent build up on the heating element.

Stay well my fellow Vapers!

Zombitedesade

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2011
Plymouth, uk
I used this method on my 510 mega atties, tank atty and on some SKYcig (BLU in the states) atomisers. Works an absolute treat. Though will say be carful what atty you do this on. It killed some of my SKYcig ones outright. I don't know why, the 510 ones were fine. One SKYcig one I rescued after puffing loads on it (possibley full of water still?) but the others are KIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread