Attack of the Hana Modz Clone. Let's wait together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Here is a flash from the past 2011 of a mod that was recalled by the maker..... it was set up on pre-order status and soon after delivery the issues came to light and the maker refunded all the customers... almost put him out of business... he vowed to fix the issue and market them but never happened.. main issue was due to leaking juice issues frying the internals... it had an pump that pushed juice to the atty....... but this was way ahead of devices of the time....

CurlyxCracker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Here is a flash from the past 2011 of a mod that was recalled by the maker..... it was set up on pre-order status and soon after delivery the issues came to light and the maker refunded all the customers... almost put him out of business... he vowed to fix the issue and market them but never happened.. main issue was due to leaking juice issues frying the internals... it had an pump that pushed juice to the atty....... but this was way ahead of devices of the time....

Interesting device.... I like squonking devices a lot. Reo is out of my price range atm. Like the idea of the vision aurora bft but need to see some upgrades before I get one. Not very many options out there....

frashoola

Verified Member
May 9, 2014
Scranton, PA
this is my first vw mod and am quite pleased, as I have nothing to compare it to With my programming background, the ultimate for me would be if someone designed a chip with the same oled display, but allowed for custom code. That way I could vape the exact way I desire :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Word. Open-source with the ability to flash the ROM via the USB port would rock.

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
Morning coffee and a vape.... using the clone..... gonna spend my time replacing the guts with real DNA and charger board and etc.....just so it will operate like my host of dna's operate..

retird, I would be interested in following this "makeover". Please try to document as much as you can. I too think the electronic parts of the mod are a let-down although still quite good compared to what was out even a couple of years ago... but the case is quite nice and worth the effort of a possible upgrade of the internals.

D.

ClintS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
San Diego area, CA
I have used DNA's for years and am accustomed to just vaping them and not having to deal with the "issues" of the clone I have. It's just the way I vape... I can pick up any of the many, many devices and they all work exactly the same...The clone departs from that thus FOR ME the clone fails. For me, needing to "multiple click", "reset the wattage every time it comes out of sleep", be careful with the poor 510 atty connector so it won't short, and etc. is something I don't care to deal with ...

Ahhh, you only need to spend that $2 bucks for coffee - comments offered freely! LOL

Fail must mean something different to you than to me. This is not picking on you, just a comparison of the two viewpoints. And since I had not seen a compilation of all of the niggles in one post I thought I'd add that.

China fail - quite simply very overstated - case in point "I have used DNA's for years…"? The DNA was not released until March 2013, just a little over a year ago. The clone does not function identically, but neither does the DNA 20 and DNA 30 chips - does one them fail because there are differences?

DNA 30 and CNA 30 settings are not the same and will not provide the same vape at the same settings - I often adjust my settings to whatever I seem to like at the moment and neither are not accurate compared to calculated outputs.

The .1 drop in wattage - actually I was not even aware mine did this until I just tested them after having them for about 2 weeks. This also seems like the 2 click wake and fire - it is not consistent.

Being careful with the 510 atty connection - I put over 10 different brands of RBAs and tanks on the clones and had no issues. If one didn't fire I'd take it off and figure out why. On the atty - if the center pin does not protrude from the 510 connection then that needs to be corrected, an issue with the atty not the mod, and something I have done for all my attys before they are used.

Red/green charging light - it would have been nice to be able to see it, but that's it, nice. It sure does not make the device unusable

2 clicks out of sleep mode - An inconsistent behavior that only requires a very simplistic, easy, non-strenuous, .2 of second solution. Normally a single clcik wakes and fires the device though.

Stripping Phillips head screws on back of case - just using the proper sized Phillips (not Reed or Frearson) head screwdriver and then not over tightening the screws in the future typically resolve these kind of issues. Over the last two weeks I have replaced the battery often rather than charging the battery in the device.

Black finish - I am still not sure if this anodized with a coating or an electrostatic applied paint/coating. If it is anodized; it a process different than any of the Type I, II, or III types I have done in the past. In any case after two weeks my cases are already showing signs of the bare metal on the squared edges - so I ordered jwraps for them.

All of these combined do not bother me as much as - when I have to try and clean all of the juice or condensation from atty's out of the corner of the drip well!

So if are like "retird" and don't feel like dealing with all of these, then this device is probably not for you. For the rest of us, it is a hell of deal. And if it fails after the warranty period, I'll just follow retird's path and rebuild it with a DNA 30 chip.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
retird, I would be interested in following this "makeover". Please try to document as much as you can. I too think the electronic parts of the mod are a let-down although still quite good compared to what was out even a couple of years ago... but the case is quite nice and worth the effort of a possible upgrade of the internals.

D.
I'll try to take a few pictures along the way.... I'm fresh out of the chips and charging boards so gotta run some down and the 510 connector I'm wanting to use is out of stock but should be available mid June...and should I post them it will probably be in the modders forum here on ECF....

Last edited:

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Received mine yesterday and so far have had the double click issue that everyone a having, of course. Also, my .5 ohm patriot build flashes on the cana-- if I understand correctly, this chip is supposed to regulate down to .5 ohms like the DNA30. Anyone else see this?

Also, I've seen the "too hot" notification while chain vaping twice. Once that notification pops up, the only thing visible on the screen is the battery indicator, no ohms, volts, or watts until I removed and replace the battery.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Received mine yesterday and so far have had the double click issue that everyone a having, of course. Also, my .5 ohm patriot build flashes on the cana-- if I understand correctly, this chip is supposed to regulate down to .5 ohms like the DNA30. Anyone else see this?

Also, I've seen the "too hot" notification while chain vaping twice. Once that notification pops up, the only thing visible on the screen is the battery indicator, no ohms, volts, or watts until I removed and replace the battery.

I've found that mine with an exact .5 ohm coil will flash until I get to 30 watts. I've not experienced the heating yet but do have the double click out of sleep mode to vape.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Ahhh, you only need to spend that $2 bucks for coffee - comments offered freely! LOL

Fail must mean something different to you than to me. This is not picking on you, just a comparison of the two viewpoints. And since I had not seen a compilation of all of the niggles in one post I thought I'd add that.

China fail - quite simply very overstated - case in point "I have used DNA's for years…"? The DNA was not released until March 2013, just a little over a year ago. The clone does not function identically, but neither does the DNA 20 and DNA 30 chips - does one them fail because there are differences?

DNA 30 and CNA 30 settings are not the same and will not provide the same vape at the same settings - I often adjust my settings to whatever I seem to like at the moment and neither are not accurate compared to calculated outputs.

The .1 drop in wattage - actually I was not even aware mine did this until I just tested them after having them for about 2 weeks. This also seems like the 2 click wake and fire - it is not consistent.

Being careful with the 510 atty connection - I put over 10 different brands of RBAs and tanks on the clones and had no issues. If one didn't fire I'd take it off and figure out why. On the atty - if the center pin does not protrude from the 510 connection then that needs to be corrected, an issue with the atty not the mod, and something I have done for all my attys before they are used.

Red/green charging light - it would have been nice to be able to see it, but that's it, nice. It sure does not make the device unusable

2 clicks out of sleep mode - An inconsistent behavior that only requires a very simplistic, easy, non-strenuous, .2 of second solution. Normally a single clcik wakes and fires the device though.

Stripping Phillips head screws on back of case - just using the proper sized Phillips (not Reed or Frearson) head screwdriver and then not over tightening the screws in the future typically resolve these kind of issues. Over the last two weeks I have replaced the battery often rather than charging the battery in the device.

Black finish - I am still not sure if this anodized with a coating or an electrostatic applied paint/coating. If it is anodized; it a process different than any of the Type I, II, or III types I have done in the past. In any case after two weeks my cases are already showing signs of the bare metal on the squared edges - so I ordered jwraps for them.

All of these combined do not bother me as much as - when I have to try and clean all of the juice or condensation from atty's out of the corner of the drip well!

So if are like "retird" and don't feel like dealing with all of these, then this device is probably not for you. For the rest of us, it is a hell of deal. And if it fails after the warranty period, I'll just follow retird's path and rebuild it with a DNA 30 chip.

Thanks for your thoughts... sorry, should have clarified a bit... probably should have stated "I have used DNA's for years…" a bit better.. the DNA technology has been around for years, DNA12, DNA20, DNA30, kick, and kick 2....and the Darwin uses dna technology and it came out in 2011......my Darwin was purchased at the first release.... From Evolv's web site I quote: We retired the Darwin in October of 2012. If you want the Darwin vaping experience, you will want to try a DNA20 or DNA30 mod. and here is a Video from January, 2011..

And my first dna12 build in 2012: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...bout-new-dna-modders-board-6.html#post6869216

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
The chip posted earlier without info was supposed to be a 50w Indonesian chip, designed around a DNA, so big things are coming every day

Agreed, and i think that will drop the prices even more on these DNA clones , i wouldn't be surprised if you can get them well under $50.00 in the future .

I also think someone will end up just selling the enclosure , not paying $50.00+ for a small aluminum box when i don't want the whole package.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

Excellent informative post:thumb::thumb:, i don't see any of your points mentioned as troublesome.

cheesestain

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Hey .... yeah I ordered on Monday June 2nd and it's "Processed through USPS Sort Facility JAMAICA, NY 11430 " June 4, 2014 , 1:36 pm
No notifications since then, hopefully I'll have it sometime next week :)

That's strange. I assume yours is shipping to Toronto as well?

Mine shipped on June 2 and went from Buffalo to Chicago.

"Your item was processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on June 6, 2014 at 5:09 am"

Wonder why mine when to Chicago and yours to New York.

tuney

Dec 19, 2013
grand island
So where is this red charging indicator? I don't see any way of telling that the battery is currently being charged on my cana...

just to the left of the micro usb receptical, need to be in dim light to see it.
some canas turn green when charged some seem to have different or maybe defective charging circuit boards where the red led just dims down.

Fergie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Toronto, Canada,
That's strange. I assume yours is shipping to Toronto as well?

Mine shipped on June 2 and went from Buffalo to Chicago.JAMAICA

"Your item was processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on June 6, 2014 at 5:09 am"

Wonder why mine when to Chicago and yours to New York.
Yep, Toronto. It went from BUFFALO to ROCHESTER, to NEW YORK, to JAMAICA, and now it's back to NEW YORK.

Definitely the scenic route :)

labowsky

May 8, 2014
van island
this is my first vw mod and am quite pleased, as I have nothing to compare it to With my programming background, the ultimate for me would be if someone designed a chip with the same oled display, but allowed for custom code. That way I could vape the exact way I desire :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

im sure there is a way to flash the ship the same way people jtag. if you wanna screw around with that haha.

EDIT: ordered june 3, shipped june 4th from wetvapes.....

Last edited:

tuney

Dec 19, 2013
grand island

agreed and also made the purchases feeling as the same as Retird (could gut the box and build with known quality parts if need be).

my major issue is that cloupor seems to be pumping these out without 100% testing the shorted atty safety feature with a known resistance.

i was very nervous because of a few cases where the canas circuit board failed and lead to a fire. this lead me to physically test my 2 canas to be sure the shorted atty safety feature was indeed functioning. what i found was a little disheartening, i used an rda with a short section of #24 guage A1 with a resistance of 0.24 ohms (tested with a known high quality and accurate multimeter). i removed the back cover and made sure i could quickly remove the battery if needed.

my black cana displayed shorted atty and did not fire.
my orange cana displayed a resistance of 0.3 and indeed did fire. i shortened the length of A1 and tested again at 0.18 ohms which now
showed shorted atty and did not fire.

please guys if you have the capability of safely testing the shorted atty feature do it. i for one will not run any atty below 0.8 ohms on these because of the inaccurate resistance measurement variance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread