Atty's, what's the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I've been using 510's for quite awhile and just received 901 and 801 atomizers with adapters to fit my battery just to see what is what.

There is the threading differences. 901's are longer but the carts seem the same size as a 510. The 801 is even longer and fatter and uses a fairly large cartridge.

Vapor production is slightly greater with a 510 LR than the 901. The 901 is slightly greater vapor than the 801. The differences are very slight.

The 901 is about equal in TH as a standard 510, but has a greater flavor transfer. So, if you want a bit more flavor, the 901 seems like a great choice if you don't need the extra warmth of a 510 LR. .

The 801 has a much lower TH but about the same flavor, maybe slightly less, as a standard 510 or 510 LR and the cartridge capacity is greater.

I only tested standard 901 and 801 atomizers, but I can find advatages to each. The finish on the 901 and 801's exterior looks better than my Joyes which I found interesting.

I can thank Tinkerbell...errr Dee5 for peaking my interest enough to buy and try these other atomizers.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
'Back in the day' people bought complete e-cig starter kits like the DSE901, DSE801 or Joye 510 which were completely different models of e-cigs. They still sell them, but more common now, at least amongst experienced vapers is to use the atty's on alternative power sources like "fat batts" or "mods". The DSE801 was one of the earliest e-cigs - a "full sized" model with a large 1ml cartridge, the complete e-cig was just over 6" long. The DSE901 was the "mini" with a smaller cartridge, and for many, was a better all round choice than the DSE801 for various reasons. The Joye 510 was also a mini but was a later, competing model, and had a much hotter running atomizer as standard than the 901, with poor battery life as a downside.

To me, they have slightly different qualities. The 510 for me personally is the hardest hitting atomizer in terms of throat hit. I have also overall found it the most reliable atty (I mainly use the Joye versions, there are a lot of copy's about). Some say it can mute flavours though. The 801 produces a lot of vapour, has a light draw and overall there's a cooler, fairly airy quality to the vapour. The 801's cartridges have never worked particularly well in my experience, but dripped or juice fed, on a moderately higher voltage (or in LR form) it can work really well. The 901 is said to allow more flavour through than the 510, while still packing a punch (especially in the LR variety or at higher voltage).

There's also the Joye 306, which is an open bridge atomizer that has been gaining popularity recently and uses the same connection as a 510.

These are fairly generic descriptions. The only thing I could suggest is to try different ones for yourself. Adapters are fairly cheap.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
Mainly, I noticed that 901's love to leak rather easily. Other than that, it just boils down to look and feel, and personal preferences. They can all be contoured to your liking these days, but all have their own special personalities. Whether you love em or hate em, there will be dozen people to agree and disagree as to which is best. They are each the best in their own given rights.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Everyone has their own favorite. Most think the 510 is hotter and therefore gives more vapor and TH. The 801 is cooler and gives more flavor. My own favorite out of all the possibilities is an 801 of 2.5 ohms on 5 volts - it gives tons of vapor and full flavor. Normal 801's are about 3.5 ohms.

The first thing you need to sort all that out is a multimeter, many an atty is out of range anyway (too high or too low for what it's sold as), and they need to be tested otherwise you don't really know where you are. Or, just put it on a VV mod and turn the dial of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread