Australian ban; Egar illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Tetsab said Spacey LOL
Australia is fairly unique in the world that we do not have many of the animal or plant diseases which are commonplace in the rest of the world... Yes our customs agents may seem a bit over the top compared to most , but Terra Australis is still relatively pure in terms of food production and our quarantine laws are there to help keep it that way ... we are in one sense a foodbowl for the south pacific and beyond......... until our politicians bugger that up too ... and yes they are trying LOL

rickstar009

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Deal-extreme Enthusiast
I want to tell you good people of victoria about what happened to me but i am worried that some scum bag from the brummbie government is watching these forums

can the onwers of this site or who ever is in charge tell me: Can the government get my details from e-cigarette.forum.com? is my details that i gave you when i signed up private?? you can't give it to anybody even the government if they ask for it

i just want to be very careful before i say anything on here

rickstar009

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Deal-extreme Enthusiast
Ok thanks Trumpybloke, i hope your right

anyway here it goes: i found a wholesaler in china that sells really cheap E-liquids and e-cigarette products, and i mean cheap!! alot cheaper than all the retailers sale there e-liquids and e-cigerettes for

anyway i bought 10 bottles of e-liquid from this wholesaler and it was beautiful tasting e-liquid, top quality stuff

they sent it to me express mail and the e-liquid went through customers and was checked and i got them sent to my door step without any problems what so ever!

nobody said anything to me and customers did not confiscate it at all

So i dont know whats up with that because i was expecting some trouble but i was completely wrong

anybody that wants the Email address of my! wholesale e-liquid and e-cig supplier then just send me a private message

Rick , I think that is just a indication of customs just failing to test the liquid for nicotine, I am pretty sure they would be mainly geared up to intercept commercial importations , I guess this is where we are lucky in that as far as most liquids go , customs will just do an ion scan on the packages and make sure its not an illegal drug such as ....... or ...... in suspension , they dont even need to open the package for this , a simple swab of the package will show it up.
I think with personal use importations it is going to be hit and miss as far as customs go , sure hope nicotine doesnt get added to the ion software tho LOL
When I am a bit more flush with cash I might give it a go soon lol but I think for now, you have to be prepared there is a CHANCE your importations will be intercepted if they are small amounts , and I would say almost a CERTAINTY if you were to bring in say a 1.2 litre bottle... a lot will also hinge on whether a sellers address lights up flags on the no-no list... most Chinese sellers don't advertise the fact their packages have nasties in them :) My last package came in 4 days before New Years ( and the ban ) it spent 2 days in customs ( the longest I have ever experienced) and was let through ... to this day I still wonder whether or not they were pondering on whether to keep it in the system for another 2 days and then enforce the rules ... lucky for me they didnt.
I guess its really a " You pays your money you takes your chances " scenario
( P.S. I am also pretty sure Mr or Mrs Customs have bigger fish to fry and will concentrate on them ... we might be lucky )

BarryK

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Essex ENGLAND
For what it's worth, whenever I buy anything from abroad, I always ask the vendor to ship by their local postal service, i.e. USPS from the states & Hong Kong post from HK.

I've never been charged Duty, VAT etc. on anything coming in by normal air mail, whereas, if it comes via courier, I nearly always get caught for duty.
I think that the volume of normal post is just too great to have more than a token few parcels examined, but in the case of the couriers, (some of the major ones anyway) who get commision on any taxes they collect, it's very much in there interest to collect as much duty as they can.

Barry

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
For what it's worth, whenever I buy anything from abroad, I always ask the vendor to ship by their local postal service, i.e. USPS from the states & Hong Kong post from HK.

I've never been charged Duty, VAT etc. on anything coming in by normal air mail, whereas, if it comes via courier, I nearly always get caught for duty.
I think that the volume of normal post is just too great to have more than a token few parcels examined, but in the case of the couriers, (some of the major ones anyway) who get commision on any taxes they collect, it's very much in there interest to collect as much duty as they can.

Barry

Within the EU at least, there is almost no checks on mail. Within the Schengen area (continental europe) there is absolutely none as far as I know. From HK and the US, a bit more, but as far as I know once the customs form is filled in and on small mail, it's rare.

It would cost a European country seventy squillion ¥$£€ to open every large piece of mail, and they would only get a tiny fraction of that back. They are concerned about drugs and bombs of course, but dogs and machines can detect both of those.

G'day all, Sadly nothing much has changed at all , and I apologise for my absence from the forums lately due to a ( good ) change of circumstance on a personal level.
Several Aussies , myself included , have tested the waters with private importations of parts and accessories , I have not yet heard of an interception or seizure yet!
Gizmo and myself recently split an order of primed atomisers and they sailed thru no probs.
On the actual legislation front , the amendment to the poisons register still stands and sadly looks like it will be entrenched for a long time yet , the only hope I have to offer is that it would appear the powers that be are really more interested in the resale market than private importations ( which by the act are technically illegal but appear to be not a high priority with our border inspections).
Disappointingly I have had no interest from the media whatsoever in regard to follow up of my letters, nor have I received one bit of correspondence from the Minister or his department.
At this point I would like to thank all of you out there that have written and hassled different people , and gotten ANY response and shared it with us. You guys are what keeps me trying .
Hopefully as parliament resumes this month I might hear something back and be able to pass it on to you all .
I do not want to admit defeat on this matter in Australia and wont , but PLEASE you lot overseas, dont think it wont happen to you , plan, prepare,organise , and work towards legitimising vaping if you want to keep doing it?

Thanks Guys and Ladies !!!

Last edited:

rickstar009

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Deal-extreme Enthusiast
I'm about to order 40 bottles of 50ml E-liquid from my supplier - and i am ****ting! myself 8-o ..Please everybody all at once! wish me really good luck will ya's Lol

Oh! well, if i lose $600 then i lose $600 dollars *Cries* haha

Or at worse! Brumby could lock me up for 5 to 10 - now granted that’s worse case scenario............Ok now! i have just talked myself out of it, never mind then, just ignore this post lol

I finally received a letter from the acting chief executive of the South Australian Health Service. The geste of it was basically what we already know: that the "capsules" in e-cigarettes are classified as a schedule 7 poison for a domestic purpose. A range of proven medications designed to assist people to quit smoking currently exist, these include gums lozenges blah blah or try Zyban or Champix (if you want a random suicide LOL). Go see a Doctor. Hope you found this helpful.

6 weeks for a predictable and uninformative response. I get the impression they have no interest in even considering e-cigarettes.

There's smoking or quit smoking. The third party of alternative is not invited to the debate and clearly not on the agenda.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I finally received a letter from the acting chief executive of the South Australian Health Service. The geste of it was basically what we already know: that the "capsules" in e-cigarettes are classified as a schedule 7 poison for a domestic purpose. A range of proven medications designed to assist people to quit smoking currently exist, these include gums lozenges blah blah or try Zyban or Champix (if you want a random suicide LOL). Go see a Doctor. Hope you found this helpful.

6 weeks for a predictable and uninformative response. I get the impression they have no interest in even considering e-cigarettes.

There's smoking or quit smoking. The third party of alternative is not invited to the debate and clearly not on the agenda.

Solution--did they make any reference to objecting to the device or just the "Capsule"--Thanks--Sun

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England

It sounds very much as if the South Australian Health Service is looking for an easy life. Why should they deal with our alternative when they worship at the altar of Big Pharma's NRT? Having tried Zyban (followed by a very nasty depressive episode) I could not recommend it. Health authorities seem more interested in things that have been proven to be safe by their standards rather than in things that actually work. It is VERY annoying. :mad:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
rickstar009: I would ask the supplier to relabel these things as aromatherapy Chinese medicine, special homeopatic insect killer, carwash chemical or something. With a bit of luck no testing will be done. This is not an illegal drug anywhere apart from your country, the procedures for finding and testing kits are still probably nonexistent.

Solution--did they make any reference to objecting to the device or just the "Capsule"--Thanks--Sun

Hi Sun, the exact sentence was:
I have been advised that the nicotine capsules used in e-cigarettes are classified as a schedule 7 poison.
No specific reference to the device itself.

That's not the point, I'm not interested In being deceitful. I want to get e-cigarettes on the agenda.

The response I received was at best pedantic. I had already stated that the alternatives they suggested had been tried unsuccessfully. I really don't think they read my correspondence thoroughly at all.

I have obviously sent them another email, so in about another 2 months when I receive their next dismissive reply. I can take it further up the chain.

Long, slow, boring process.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
That's not the point, I'm not interested In being deceitful. I want to get e-cigarettes on the agenda.

The response I received was at best pedantic. I had already stated that the alternatives they suggested had been tried unsuccessfully. I really don't think they read my correspondence thoroughly at all.

I have obviously sent them another email, so in about another 2 months when I receive their next dismissive reply. I can take it further up the chain.

Long, slow, boring process.

Solution--No surprise they made no reference to the device itself--I give you a lot of credit, as all of us should, for stepping up to the plate and trying to do something about it instead of just sitting back and jawboning about it. Even if it is a slow process, keep at it--and a full thumbs up for you---Sun:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread