Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I use latest posts the majority of the time I'm on the site and use the back button after I read a post to go back to the last thread I look at in latest post. Until recently it worked perfectly. I did a little root cause analysis and it appears that the new advertising that is on the right margin and after a post is causing the issue. If four ads appear it takes five clicks to get back to my original starting point. During those clicks I can see each banner ad disappear. Additionally if I view a post in the Forum Suppliers area where no ads display the back button works perfectly. I have also tested it outside of ECF and it works perfectly on other sites.

I know that work is being done on the site but this function is one I use all the time and honestly not having it available makes using the site a real drag, it's limiting my desire to come to ECF.

It was suggested that it is a plug in, that is not the case.

I really like ECF, have friends here but the navigation problems are keeping me from enjoying the experience. It's becoming very frustrating.

Firefox 56.0.1 64 bit
Windows 10
Add's just the basic's see below

adds.jpg

Reactions: Maytwin

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Hey tw33k, nope I haven't tried it because honestly I want the site to function the way it always had in the past and every other site I visit. I use a multi button Logitech mouse that has the back button function set up on it and that doesn't work here anymore either.

I'm simply looking for the functionality to remain consistent with web standards.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I'm not seeing this behavior at all. Back button on the browser works as does the back button on the mouse.

Do you have any extensions installed?

Nothing, I keep my browser bare bones other than the 3 addon's noted in the image above. It worked perfectly until recently. As I said in the above post, it doesn't occur on the posts in the suppliers forum because there is no banner advertising and I have watched the banners individually disappear with each back prompt I make on the regular threads, it all began with the addition of the banners ads. Firefox works perfectly (back button) on every other site I visit.

Letitia, there is another good one "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". Worked perfect for all the years I have been on ECF until recently.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-25_10-31-41.png
    upload_2017-10-25_10-31-41.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 16

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
Nothing, I keep my browser bare bones other than the 3 addon's noted in the image above. It worked perfectly until recently. As I said in the above post, it doesn't occur on the posts in the suppliers forum because there is no banner advertising and I have watched the banners individually disappear with each back prompt I make on the regular threads, it all began with the addition of the banners ads. Firefox works perfectly (back button) on every other site I visit.

Letitia, there is another good one "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". Worked perfect for all the years I have been on ECF until recently.
@Marc411 - I'm in exactly the same position when it comes to the back button and have the same 3 plug-ins (2 of which I think are automatically added by Firefox). I just tried Microsoft Edge to compare and although the back button seemed to work, the page loading was so slow that I kept getting "Not Responding", so not ideal either. I know my PC is fairly elderly with only 4GB RAM (the maximum it can take) but the site used to work flawlessly but now it seems like wading through treacle all the time :(

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
My system is less than a year old and kept pretty lean, browsers and software are kept to a minimum and load times are still damn good. Personally I am not a fan of the MS browsers and what goes on behind the background.

Damn shame that the user interface has become cumbersome on ECF as it was always flawless running Firefox.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Lately I have had to click twice to go back. I know Oliver is working himself to the bone trying to work out all the bugs. I am really hoping that fixing the refresh button is still on his radar. I really think it has something to do with the way ads are handled. It usually works fine on individual threads such as this one but if I go back to Site Feedback and Help, it doesn't. It just gives me the option to stop loading page but even that option doesn't work.

I closed my original thread concerning this problem because it seemed to have been addressed and fixed but sadly the fix didn't last long.

I too use Firefox and win 10 on a fairly new computer. (less than 6 months old)

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Evilgrin, both of those were my first moves to try and see if I couldn't resolve it in Firefox.

First, same results and the second that change was already made even though Firefox tells you it will void your warranty :) That's damn near comical

I even went so far to try adblocker, 29 ads alone blocked on this thread according to UD. It's something is the script running to load the banners.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Evil, all the suggestions are appreciated and each/all have been tried with no success. Since I am not the only one having the issue I would think it's not a local issue but again I appreciate your attempt to replicate the problem.

I've been using the site for a little over three years without any issues until about a week ago and my browser has not been updated or the settings changed. Like I said earlier, bare bones for as long as I have had this system. It really is a PITA!

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I checked the Xenforo support forums and it appears to be a problem for some. The last solution offered was to clear your Cached Web Content.

No further replies were on the topics i found so i have no idea if it worked or not.

Ive used Firefox for ages but it has become extremely buggy in the last year or so. Chrome is far less buggy and faster for me. I still use both simply because old habits are hard to break.

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
I was able to replicate the issue by letting the page sit for a bit. The back button seems to work until that ad box refreshes, so if you test it as soon as you load the page it will probably work fine. I you let the page sit for a bit that ad will update and the browser will display the behavior you describe.

That box is an iframe, and I don't know how to disable iframes in firefox. Don't think there is an easy way to do it. Good luck.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Same here, the Xenforo support forums didn't offer much but the back button worked there perfectly :)

I haven't really experienced any bugs, this is the first and is really my preferred browser. I've started visiting the other vaping site and have no issues there either so I still believe it has to be wrapped around all the new scripts they are using for the banners since that when the problem started and it doesn't occur in the topics that don't load advertising. Your help really is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread