Bad Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
I have a Protege that the switch is stuck on. Anyone found any tricks to fixing this? I submitted a ticket last week but I have not heard back. And I am just inches away from just going to buy a pack of analogs.

any ideas on how to get it to work for now would be appreciated.
yeah, if loosening the adapter doesn't work, you can try fiddling around with the switch itself, if you still don't get it, you can either send it back, or open it up and see whats going on.

Gibby

GreyHawk

Oct 20, 2008
Chicago, IL U.S.A.
i loosen it up but that did not help. i took out the ss cover from the switch and that worked for 2 days. Now its totally stuck on. I would send it back or have them send me a switch if I could. But They are not getting back to me on my ticket. I just bummed a ciggy and man those are nasty. But no other options.

Sorry - was hoping it was the simple fix for ya. As far as them not getting back to you I have a ticket in for something else that is still open as well. I know they are slammed right now getting out the V2's and catching up with the rest. Be patient. They ALWAYS resolve their issues.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
i loosen it up but that did not help. i took out the ss cover from the switch and that worked for 2 days. Now its totally stuck on. I would send it back or have them send me a switch if I could. But They are not getting back to me on my ticket. I just bummed a ciggy and man those are nasty. But no other options.
Chances are your switch is fused somehow, are you using a 901?

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
yep I am using a 901
How did i guess it, actually i don't remember why i asked that.

There was something in some other thread about the 901's having a tendency to short if you overtighten the atty. Might be your case. I would just send it in and get a replacement, and at the same time order some spare switches.

Gibby

M0rbeus

Oct 2, 2009
Upstate, NY
I have tried 2 old and 1 new atty they all do the same.
I mean tickets should not be avoided because of new shipping. Its like me forgetting about one of our practices having network connectivity issues because I am setting up the router for a new practice.
I really don't want to mail it back and have to wait twice as long. I would put it on my card and have them mail it to me while mine gets back over there. Or I would buy one of the new switches if they would ship it now.

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
When you over tighten a 901 or 801 it can cut the little rubber insulator out of the center pin and short out. Even with the mechanical switch a short isn't good.
The batteries will get really hot.. You'll be able to notice it on the outside of the tube.

Once the atty makes contact just give it maybe another ¼ of a turn

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
well its kinda working again just not if i put the SS cover back on the switch.
Maybe they can sell me a new switch?
i don't see the old switches on the site to order and the new switches say 2 to 3 weeks.
I am also yet to have someone get back on my ticket.
I just want to get this thing fixed.

I believe the new switches for the Protege are in stock.
If the atty does short out the batts what I find is, after a few minutes the batts are almost in a state of needing a recharge.

Back when I'd short an atty I'd always change the hot battery out, let it col and throw it back on the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread