Base Questions and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
I posted this elsewhere, but this may be the better place.
I realize that much of this is subjective, but any guidance will be appreciated.
I plan to vape unflavored base. Before I fell off the wagon, I was vaping pure VG, no nicotine at the very end. The VG was from MyFreedomSmokes and I didn't particularly care for the "cauliflower" taste. I'd prefer no taste at all.
Questions:
1. Is there a vendor who has a VG base that is without flavor or do they all have some background flavor?
2. I understand that with the new TC mods an lower ohm builds, I should keep nic at or below 3mg. Is this true?
3. For simplicity and convenience, I was thinking of buying unflavored nic (can't go cold turkey) base at a low nic level. I'm not a big fan of TH (smoked Marlboro Lights). Any recommendations on nic level and PG/VG ratio that might replicate the ML feel (not flavor, of coarse) and still allow me to TC vape under the "danger levels" for unwanted chemicals (I've read that VG will create the harmful chemicals at a lower temp than PG, but I don't care for much PG--any happy median for temp safety and PG/VG ratio that might not have much TH (e.g. does 70VG/30PG have much TH)?
4. Any recommendations for high quality product vendor that can provide what I'm looking for (a high quality 3mg base or whatever you may suggest I try) in an unflavored base and will still likely be in business after August?

Thanks

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I realize that much of this is subjective, but any guidance will be appreciated.
I plan to vape unflavored base. Before I fell off the wagon, I was vaping pure VG, no nicotine at the very end. The VG was from MyFreedomSmokes and I didn't particularly care for the "cauliflower" taste. I'd prefer no taste at all.
Questions:
1. Is there a vendor who has a VG base that is without flavor or do they all have some background flavor?
2. I understand that with the new TC mods an lower ohm builds, I should keep nic at or below 3mg. Is this true?
3. For simplicity and convenience, I was thinking of buying unflavored nic (can't go cold turkey) base at a low nic level. I'm not a big fan of TH (smoked Marlboro Lights). Any recommendations on nic level and PG/VG ratio that might replicate the ML feel (not flavor, of coarse) and still allow me to TC vape under the "danger levels" for unwanted chemicals (I've read that VG will create the harmful chemicals at a lower temp than PG, but I don't care for much PG--any happy median for temp safety and PG/VG ratio that might not have much TH (e.g. does 70VG/30PG have much TH)?
4. Any recommendations for high quality product vendor that can provide what I'm looking for (a high quality 3mg base or whatever you may suggest I try) in an unflavored base and will still likely be in business after August?

Thanks
Most here use essential depot VG. I myself use it and don't notice anything unpleasant about it.

Vegetable Glycerin: Essential Depot

As far as your question about the new TC's at lower ohms. I really can't say but if it's throat hit from NIC that your concerned about then it's true the less mg percentage the lower the TH. As you are quitting smoking recommending a MG level that will work for you and your individual vaping device is something only you can decide through experimentation.

Also certain nicotine's have lower TH then others (Smoothness) such as the Nicotine salts from Nic select but they do come at a premium price. Best thing to do is shop around different vendors and get either sample or small bottles and experiment with different levels until you find which work best for you and your vaping devices.

Nicotine Salts*

You should buy your VG, PG and Nicotine solution in seperate bottles and the nicotine solution should always be higher then the level you wish to vape. You then mix your own base (Using a calculator) to help you calculate your final base percentage. This gives you the opportunity to customize your base to what ever works best for you and doing that will also save you money in the long run.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

For more information on all things DIY related read my blogs.

ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45.130984/

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Every base and base-element has a flavor, and it depends on how sensitive a palette you have for noticing this. I personally am "the-opposite-of-blessed - cursed" with a highly sensitive palette for food/drinks which carries over to vaping also obviously.

As stated, you'll wanna get the different base-components, and they usually taste pretty much alike, except for the nic, so get a quality nic with as little taste as possible. Unfortunetly I don't know most sources from the states, so am not much help there, though alchem nicselect I atleast know is a medium cheap, clean quality nic source imho(nicotine river, ecx etc).

If you don't want TH, then as little nic and PG as possible. Nic gives the TH and PG reduces droplet-size to enhance that, whereas opposite with VG(I believe). Some get a TH from PG alone, which I don't, but then that to me isn't really TH, but another throat-irritation type.

VG adds a neutral sweetness and nothing else, think sirup. PG tastes unflavored like dry bitter sweet alcohol(ethanol). If you don't like TH, I would recommend only using VG and thinning with distilled water to your liking. Also, playing with airflow and wattage, also affects the flavor; when going PG-free, I personally like more open airflow, as else it can get pretty sweet. With such tight airflow, I remember back in the day, that the flavor could sometimes have a corn like undertone at times, for some strange reason, and the flavor was generally to sweet imho.

In short, you gotta do these experiments yourself honestly, as flavor is such highly subjective...

Reactions: papabogart

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Questions:

Thanks
1. VG itself has a slightly to moderately sweet flavor, taste some and you'll see what I mean. So a true flavorless VG doesn't exist. I've found the palm-derived Musim Mas VG to be very close to neutral in taste. It is very slightly sweet when vaped pure, moreso when tasted. The sweetness of this VG is definitely more honey like than other brands I've tried. I've had other brands that were definitely less clean-tasting.

2. I'd keep nic wherever it's satisfying your particular need, of course taking into account your vaping style and equipment. I mix my base at 3 mg, which nets me around 2.7 mg in my finished liquids (assuming dilution with 20% flavoring). Any higher than 3 mg is too high for me. You may feel differently. Keep your nic level where it's comfortable for you.

3. I don't use TC, and and am not knowledgeable about the "danger levels for unwanted chemicals" to which you refer, so no comment there. For no throat hit, I'd go 3 mg, pure VG (PG introduces throat hit), or VG + distilled water to thin it down if necessary. I mix my unflavored base at 70/30 3 mg and for me the throat hit is minimal to none, but that's just me.

4. Nicotine River, though all I'm willing to forecast for any August is excessive heat in SoCal. :)

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
The smoothest nicotine base with the least TH would be from Nude Nioctine - Unflavored Nicotine Base - Nude Nicotine
Be sure to store nicotine in glass bottles in the fridge or freezer.

Get your VG and PG from Essential Depot and buy it on Amazon. PG and VG last a few years when stored properly (cool, dry, dark) so don't be afraid to stock up in order to save some money by buying a gallon jug instead of a quart.

As far as pg/vg ratios concerning TH and safety, higher PG will have more TH, but 50% VG or higher should temper that effect.

May I suggest adding some ethyl maltol/cotton candy flavor to your mix? It will decrease your perception of TH, so you can go higher with the PG ratio. It's a light flavor that will add some sweetness. It will also help cover up any off flavors you might get from just mixing PG< VG, and nic. It will basically round out the flavor of your juice overall, and will give you a more satisfying vape.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
To me, EM in unflavored taste like some cooked fruit, or rasperry or something, and not the generally thought cotton candy... That was at 3% though, and i've read the amount added is important e.g. from a slight rounder/masker/blender, to a sweetener and a cotton-candy'er etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: papabogart

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
To me, EM in unflavored taste like some cooked fruit, or rasperry or something, and not the generally thought cotton candy... That was at 3% though, and i've read the amount added is important e.g. from a slight rounder/masker/blender, to a sweetener and a cotton-candy'er etc.

If your unflavored is high VG, then EM might be overkill. VG is inherently sweet on its own. I usually add Ethyl Maltol in 1% increments or less to start with and work from there. It's good for hiding bitter or other unwanted tastes in a juice.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Thanks Dave :) Admittedly. the only experience I have had with EM, where one of the premixed bases at my nic ratio I started with when first trying DIY almost 4 years ago, and which included EM at 3% and 70/30 PG/VG ratio, and I tested it unflavored to see how it was. It to me was like canned fruit or alike. Several years later I read another person stating that and thought to myself that was identical to my own (limited) experience.

I've always been somewhat of a simpleton, and never dabbled in sweeteners of any kind, or maskers, and neither big elaborate recipes past 3-4 flavors... :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks Dave :) Admittedly. the only experience I have had with EM, where one of the premixed bases at my nic ratio I started with when first trying DIY almost 4 years ago, and which included EM at 3% and 70/30 PG/VG ratio, and I tested it unflavored to see how it was. It to me was like canned fruit or alike. Several years later I read another person stating that and thought to myself that was identical to my own (limited) experience.

I've always been somewhat of a simpleton, and never dabbled in sweeteners of any kind, or maskers, and neither big elaborate recipes past 3-4 flavors... :)

EM has its place when you need to mask a bitter taste. I like caramel and vanilla for the same purpose in tobacco flavors that are in your face. Small amounts are best at first. I usually start at .5% or less and work upwards after test vaping it.

I'm only a year into DIY ejuice. Most of what I know has been gleaned from DIY forum members by logging into ECF daily and reading posts. Check out DannyV45's blog for some good advice. Hoosier is another experienced DIY guy here and he also has a great blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread