Battary charger suggestion needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamB0yDani

Feb 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

As title suggest, I am looking for 4 bay battery charger. I surfed through ECF and few other forums and found few recommended chargers but I'm still not sure which one to buy.

I found xtar VC4 chargers being famous and likeable by many, followed by Efest LUC V4. Few also suggested Hohm Tech Base as well because of it being featured packed.

Since most of the sites in US don't deliver to Saudi Arabia, I will be buying it online, have it shipped to my friend address in US, who will ship it to me through USPS.

I would appreciate some recommendations or if there are better alternative to chargers mentioned above.

Thanks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In the long run I'd pick the Efest LUC 4 over the Xtar VC4. Of the two, my LUC 4 has lasted and performed better than the VC4. I like the display on the VC4, but it has only two bays that will charge at 1A. The Xtar displays MAH as the battery charges, so there's an indicator of battery condition. The LUC 4 will charge at .5A or 1A in all four bays at once.

After owning the VC4 for a couple of years it's beginning to show some signs of failure that seem to be tied to the connection between the wall power supply and the charger. Sometimes, it will downshift to lower charge rates and I have to plug and unplug the USB wall wart or remove and insert the connector at the charger to get it to go back to 1A charging.

This may be connector failure, a USB wall wart failure, or an internal parts issue in the VC4 charger, but if I had to pick between the two I'd keep the LUC 4 over the VC4 just because the LUC4 will charge more batteries at once at the 1A charge rate. My LUC 4 hasn't missed a beat in the years I've owned it.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd recommend buying a LUC4 if shipping will be difficult. I have a two bay nitcore intellecharger and I like it and it has held up well, but if you are looking for longevity/reliability I'd say the LUC4 is a good choice. I would buy a 4 bay charger next time, but since my nitcore is still working well, I will wait until it starts giving me problems, since that may or may not happen. I do have a backup trustfire that I "accidentally" purchased, although I have heard to stay away from trustfires, I keep it in case the nitecore dies on me, so I can purchase more easily and with leisure. I wouldn't have bought one on purpose, it came "included" with some batteries I got, it wasn't a "smart" purchase, let me put it that way.

It's good you are doing your homework :) Hope it all works out well for you.

Anan

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'll have to go against the crowd and recommend the Xtar VC4 over the LUC 4. I have both, and while it's true that the LUC 4 can charge 4 batteries at one amp while the VC4 only does two at one amp (or all four at 500 mA), I find that the LUC 4 heats up too much at 1 amp while the VC4 barely warms my batteries. As a result, I only use the LUC 4 at 500 mA and the VC4 ends up being faster.

One other thing to note - you may or may not have noticed that the VC4 is USB powered, so if you go with it you'll also need a 2+ amp USB converter. The LUC 4 does its own conversion.

You asked if there was anything better than these two. It really depends on how you define better. There are (more expensive) chargers that are as good as these two with basic charging and also have additional features, but you'll need to know a fair bit about batteries and how they age to take advantage of them. If you're not interested in the other features, the VC4 and LUC4 are about as good as it gets.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You asked if there was anything better than these two. It really depends on how you define better. There are (more expensive) chargers that are as good as these two with basic charging and also have additional features, but you'll need to know a fair bit about batteries and how they age to take advantage of them. If you're not interested in the other features, the VC4 and LUC4 are about as good as it gets.
My standard recommendations are the LUC V4 or VC4. My son has the LUC V4 and loves it. I debated between the two before buying my last charger; I ended up buying the Xtar mainly because of the nicer screen. I'm not disappointed. Either of the two will make a nice charger for you.

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands, suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, independent bays, LED or LCD models, and "smart chargers".

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
In the first four of my five years vaping I went through a lot of battery chargers. 'Thru' mainly because most didn't hold up, failed from way too soon up to eventually for one or more reasons. Had a LUC 2 and three LUC 4's, several Xtar 2 & 4 bay and a couple of 6 bay, and a pair of Nitecore D4's. Of them only an Xtar WP6 II remains in use set up for the rarely used smaller batteries. A pair of Gyrfalcon All-88 Enova 8 Bay chargers handle all my main charging flawlessly now days for 18650, 20700 & 26650 batts.

I paid way more back when I got my All-88's... but the All-88 can be had from a well known reputable Houston,TX dealer for $55 now days. They also have a Gyrfalcon All-44 4 Channel for $35 and a Gyrfalcom All-40 4 Channel version for $22 (but I have no experience with them).

Review All-88...
Review of Charger GyrFalcon All-88

Review All-44...
Review of Charger GyrFalcon All-44

Review All-40...
Enova All-40 charger review - ENOVA & GYRFALCON CHARGERS

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I also agree with Hawise with the VC4 battery charger. I rarely need 1A charging, so 500ma is usually good enough for me. Plus if you have enough batteries already charged up, you're not in a hurry for faster charging either. I did buy a second VC4 so I could charge 4 batteries at 1A or 8 at 500ma. I rarely need the second one though.

Yes, I have experienced the reduced charging. It happens when it first starts and I think it test how much the USB can supply. And it doesn't matter if you disconnect the power from the VC4 itself, USB supply, or from the wall plug, it just needs to be interrupted somewhere and it resets itself. Then it is normally fine and works normally. You do need a good 2A supply to get the full 2A charge of course.

Besides the cool display, how cool it runs is a super big plus in my book! As heat really reduces the life of the batteries. Plus cool batteries are safer as well. I had my two for three years now and they are still working wonderfully. I am very glad that I got them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Xtar VC4 is a great charger and it provides a lot of info on the batteries you charge. MAH readings based on time to charge from a given voltage to charge completion is useful data for determining battery condition if you become familiar with the numbers.

Efest LUC 4 is a basic heavy charger that works quickly at 1A with all bays filled. It provides little information other than the LED charger indicators, but it's a reliable workhorse.

I've read the reviews on the Gyrfalcon chargers and they are impressive. I haven't bought one because the chargers I have are working fine and I really don't need another charger. As my chargers age and fail I'll revisit the specs and maybe move to something higher in technical specs. For now, what I have fills the bill.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Say did they ever fix that 1ma discharge when finished charging? And did they ever fix the size C and D batteries contact problem? And does the display still blank out after so many minutes?
Seems to be a critique without saying so.

But I’ll play along.
Never heard of the discharge after charging. Then again, I don’t use my charger as a storage place.
If I ever find a need to charge C or D size batteries, I’ll let you know. Until then, I vape and want to charge those batteries.
Again, sorry, when I charge batteries, I don’t stand there watching the display.
When done, there is an indicator and if I want to see the time taken it is there.

So, if you have a need to store C cell batteries after watching a display while they charge, this may not be the charger for you.

For vapers, best darn charger by a long shot.

Reactions: stols001

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Seems to be a critique without saying so.

Sorry, I am an electronic engineer so I get curious and just more interested in knowing more details than your average consumer. We sometimes act like little kids on Christmas. As if we get a box that has electronics in it, we can't wait to take it apart and figure out how it works. :)

Never heard of the discharge after charging.

Well I first heard about this from mjlorton (on youtube) with his 8 bay version. So every 24 hours it loses about 24mah of charge. Not normally a problem, but something that should be mentioned about you shouldn't use the bays for long term storage. Probably shouldn't do that anyway, but you know some will anyway.

If I ever find a need to charge C or D size batteries, I’ll let you know.

Oh well I still use AAAA, AAA, AA, C, and D NiMH cells for mice, digital pens, keyboards, flashlights, radios, recorders, and radio control devices. I do have two Sony 14500 for two mice, but all of my 18650 and 26650 are used for vaping. Say if the GyrFalcon has a connection problem with a C size battery, it might also have a problem with a 26650 too.

when I charge batteries, I don’t stand there watching the display.

Well I don't either (unless I have my test equipment connected up to it and testing it). But I do tend to keep them close by while I do something else and glace that way every once in awhile. As if something goes wrong, you can do something about it.

For vapers, best darn charger by a long shot.

Well if you say so. I wouldn't have a problem reading those tiny screens, but some vapers would. And better chargers like my Triton charger, you can dial in any current from 100ma to 5A in 100ma steps. And these better and more expensive chargers does something that even the GyrFalcon lacks. As it is believed that starting off charging lithium cells by slamming it with high current isn't such a good idea.

Like take my Triton for example. Samsung says their 25r cells can be safely charged at 4A. So I can dial in 4A. But I'll dial in 1A just like your GyrFalcon for example. Yours starts off slamming 1A into the cell right away. But mine starts out at 100ma and slowly works its way up to 1A. This is less harsh on the cells and they are suppose to last longer charged this way.

Another practice that is said to double the life of the cell is to only charge it up to 90% instead of 100% capacity. Sure you lose 10% of the capacity, but you gain twice the life. You can do that too with the Triton. Interesting enough, Evolv's build in charger (at least on their DNA200 boards) has a toggle to enable this too.

Now would I recommend a Triton charger? Naw... my two are over 15+ years old and the newer versions of it haven't changed much since then. And if you were going to spend that much money on a charger (about $125 plus you need like a 10A 12v supply), there are many nowadays in that price range that does everything that the Triton does, plus even lots more.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sorry, I am an electronic engineer so I get curious and just more interested in knowing more details than your average consumer. We sometimes act like little kids on Christmas. As if we get a box that has electronics in it, we can't wait to take it apart and figure out how it works. :)

I agree. I retired from a long career as a field service engineer for a large company and I'm one who wants to know how and why. I learned early on not to trust circuits that didn't disconnect using a relay, SCR, or triac. Most any circuit that depends on a silicon gate to disconnect can eventually fail to change state and leave components engaged until they let the smoke out into the air (all electronics have smoke inside :)). That's how you know which one failed. Even relays weld themselves with regularity.

I don't hear the click of a micro relay de-energizing in any of my chargers when charging is complete. So, I remove cells when charging stops and unplug the charger.

The safest way to use a charger is to unplug it when you aren't close by to check on it periodically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread