Batteries: Any damage done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2015
Austin, TX
My batteries have been acting weird for the last 3 days.

I've been working long hours and not really paying attention.

I noticed today that the voltage switch on the charger had gotten bumped from 3.6 to 3.0. I estimate each of the 3 batteries in my regular rotation got 1-2 charges at the improper voltage setting.

They seem okay. Just thought I'd ask for a second opinion.

Thanks.

Jay :headbang:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ahhh, ok. That charger doesn't label itself with the charging voltage but uses the "nominal" battery voltage....3.6V for IMR/INR/ICR and 3.0V for LFP (lithium-ferrous-phosphate, like the A123 batteries).

The 3.0V setting only charges to about 3.65V. So, perfectly safe but you'll be charging your batteries very, very often. :)

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    Get a new charger. There are unconfirmed reports that some of those don't stop charging, which will wreck your batteries.

It's safe to charge a battery up to 4.2V, which any charger has to to get any life at all from it. But if it even goes 0.1V higher the life of the battery is degraded. That's quite a high accuracy to ask electronics to distinguish; it takes precision components in well-designed circuits. I think these cheap chargers don't have a hard stop; they just put less and less current into the battery as the voltage rises. At 4.2V they still trickle in just a very small amount and if you leave them too long you could be in trouble.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well, I DID buy a new charger a month or two ago, a Nitecore.

Are you guys implying that I'm also supposed to remove it from the packaging and USE it?

Jeez, you ask so MUCH....

Thanks, all for the help.

Jay :headbang:

You have a Nitecore and you still use the Trustfire? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    Ohhhhhh...the shame. :D

Seriously, dump the Trustfire and don't pass it forward. It's a unit that can get you or someone else in trouble.

Reactions: Baditude

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    If you search the forum for TR-001, you will find a lot of worries, but no hard evidence that it is a problem. Personally I wouldn't trust a cheap charger. The difference between a full charge and an over-charge is only 0.1V, which requires high precision electronics to distinguish. Cheap and high-precision don't tend to make comfortable bed-fellows.

Added to which, I think it was this charger or one like it that failed to do anything sensible with my protected cells.

Also, I wonder what current it charges at. Unless you know, then it could be charging either too fast or too slow. Too slow is at least safe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread