Athens, GA, USA

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Personally, I would buy an Xtar WP2-II or similar (actually, expensive but the Pila is said to be the best) from Battery Chargers I've had some issues with the Trustfire chargers after about a year or so.

+1

You'll be a lot happier with charge times on either the Pila or Xtar as well. My Pila is over 2 years old, works like a charm. I also got an Xtar WP2-II several months ago that I'm happy with. I have a Ultrafire WF-139 that's about a year old, and is getting a little flaky.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I just took a closer look at those batteries - from the pics they look like the ones that don't have a button top (it's kind of a flat top). They work OK, but you have to press the Grand's button further to make contact. I have some of them and wound up using a magnet to make better contact. You can also find those Panasonics with a raised button top.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
Well folks,

Thanks for all the help. I had already bought the batteries after the third post or so. They worked, but as was mentioned the firing pin was not making great contact. Then I went to a local vape supply store and got 2 magnets and my troubles really started...

Long story short: My spring collapsed:facepalm:. I contacted Rob by phone and he got back to me real fast (on a Saturday even!) and although he doesn't recommend those batteries or magnets in general he still didn't think my spring should have collapsed until I mentioned I had the raw aluminum "tumbled" REO Grand.

So I've been back in business for over a week now and I love my REO Grand. I'm still using the TR-001 but I'm now only using the "recommended" AW IMR 18650 (1600mAh) batteries.

So perhaps my contribution to the community can be a word of warning to those that have the raw "tumbled" metal REOs to avoid using magnets. Although there's no way of knowing right now if that's what caused the spring collapse it did happen right after I got the magnets and I haven't had any weird issues since.

Thanks again,

Norman

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
I'm glad too! It was my fault anyway for buying the incorrect (non-button top/nipple top) batteries. Your advice was correct I would say because without something like a magnet I was eventually going to damage the firing pin. It wasn't making good contact with the top of the battery.
Now it's hitting like a beast:laugh:

I went from KR808d batteries at 320mAh or something like that to these 1600mAh batteries and they have all the power I will ever need. With my style I get a whole day's worth of use from 1 battery.

Thanks,

Norman

Arghhh, that is a bummer! My old Grand is a polished one (no anodizing), and I never had a problem with the magnets. But probably best to not have to use them anyway. And it's always good to have an extra spring or two on hand. Glad you're back in business!

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I have used the Pila for a couple of years and it's great. Charges fast and is easy on the batteries--never overcharges. Just treat it gently. If you should choose to buy one, the charger unit is kind of fragile. Mine has a lot of black tape holding it together and I don't recall ever dropping it or abusing it at any time. Just my experience with the unit, others may disagree. :)

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I have used the Pila for a couple of years and it's great. Charges fast and is easy on the batteries--never overcharges. Just treat it gently. If you should choose to buy one, the charger unit is kind of fragile. Mine has a lot of black tape holding it together and I don't recall ever dropping it or abusing it at any time. Just my experience with the unit, others may disagree. :)

What are you doing to that poor thing - LOL! My Pila is over 2 years old and still looks like new - it's been on several trips, etc. Even Mrs. Pianoguy, who can break anything, hasn't put a scratch on it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread