Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
There seems to be a disconnect or misunderstanding.
The vtc4 is a 23a CDR cell, this is Mooch's opinion based on his testing ---> Sony VTC4 2000mAh "use only in packs" 18650 Test Results...identical to other genuine VTC4's

They'll work just fine for your application as long as you don't exceed their 23a CDR and they are authentic.
Where you buy cells is very important, helps prevent receiving counterfeit name brand and or lesser quality re wrap cells.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
There seems to be a disconnect or misunderstanding.
The vtc4 is a 23a CDR cell, this is Mooch's opinion based on his testing ---> Sony VTC4 2000mAh "use only in packs" 18650 Test Results...identical to other genuine VTC4's

They'll work just fine for your application as long as you don't exceed their 23a CDR and they are authentic.
Where you buy cells is very important, helps prevent receiving counterfeit name brand and or lesser quality re wrap cells.
Im running them in the Hex Ohm. Everybody to me to trust mooch so I found sony 30 amp batteries and theyre not 30 amp.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Here is Mooch's ' quick reference' 18650 chart, I would only trust Mooch's estimated CDR column, not the label CDR.
Especially for someone new / not yet familiar with / not fully experienced with safe battery selection & useage.
Be a good idea to read all of it, then watch all his videos for clarification.
---> 18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everyone on here told me I was using cheap batteries that wud bolw up and wudnt fully pull my Hex ohm. So I ordered Sony 30amp vct4 2100mah from mooch. I did what everyone said and checked mooch. Did I order the right batteries? Mooch says they are 40amp 2100mah.
Some places advertise the Sony VTC4 as 30 amp batteries. Mooch bench tested them and found they are only 23 amps, pushing them above 23 amps they got too hot. Always check Mooch's tests to find the true amp rating of batteries you are interested in. Don't always believe advertiser's specifications. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet, and many vendors will print anything to encourage you to buy from them.

Mooch's Complete List of Battery Tests

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Im running them in the Hex Ohm. Everybody to me to trust mooch so I found sony 30 amp batteries and theyre not 30 amp.

That's why I supplied links to his test of the specific cell and to his 18650 chart.
He doesn't say vtc4's are 30a CDR cells.

Like I said must be some misunderstanding. His videos, tests & charts are all very clear, easy to understand, accurate and helpful to understand the cells we use.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Mooch also said Aspire 26650 4300mah cells are 30A. Although Aspire says they are 20A continuous. So I tested them and I wouldn't run them passed 20A continuous. :(

1480056478.png

• Optimistic

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
This thread isn't about 26650 cells or your personal
' thing' for aspire branded cells or your known mistrust for Mooch.

This thread is an attempt to help a member that seems very confused about the cells we use, not a place for your continual pontification and argue with anyone about anything approach.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mooch also said Aspire 26650 4300mah cells are 30A. Although Aspire says they are 20A continuous. So I tested them and I wouldn't run them passed 20A continuous. :(

1480056478.png
:blink: That graph you supplied says up to 70 degrees C is safe for vaping. Mooch's 30 amp spec fits that safety standard.

Sorry, I'll believe Mooch's results and professional opinion before I believe your personal opinions.

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
:blink: That graph you supplied says up to 70 degrees C is safe for vaping. Mooch's 30 amp spec fits that safety standard.

Sorry, I'll believe Mooch's results before I believe your personal opinions.
I believe Mooch said he uses 100°C, but don't quote me on that. I know it is much higher than I find acceptable for vaping. If any battery reaches over 50°C, that is too hot IMHO.

And frankly, I am glad you trust Mooch. Because I sure don't want his job. :)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It is advertised as having a board rated to 30a.

I've owned & used two devices identical to yours, I wouldn't trust the crude protections to keep me safe.
It is a power device intended for advanced users only.
That means someone that already knows what is or isn't safe.
You can use it safely with no problem if you take the time to familiarize yourself with basic battery safety & selection and ohms law.

The problem with the batteries you were using was & is, no one on this planet can say with any certainty they are in fact 20a CDR cells.
They are rewrap falsely labeled actually unknown cells under the wrap.
They could be 20a cells, but could just as easily be 6a, no way to be certain unless the cells in your possession are accurately tested.

You have several threads on very similar topics that have great deal of excellent information, links & advice. Might be helpful to review them.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
It is advertised as having a board rated to 30a.

I've owned & used two devices identical to yours, I wouldn't trust the crude protections to keep me safe.
It is a power device intended for advanced users only.
That means someone that already knows what is or isn't safe.
You can use it safely with no problem if you take the time to familiarize yourself with basic battery safety & selection and ohms law.

The problem with the batteries you were using was & is, no one on this planet can say with any certainty they are in fact 20a CDR cells.
They are rewrap falsely labeled actually unknown cells under the wrap.

You have several threads on very similar topics that have great deal of excellent information, links & advice. Might be helpful to review them.
I did so I went to mooch under recommended batteries. The sony 30 amp 2000mah was recommended by mooch so I purchased them.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread