Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to dispose of old vape batteries when you don't have access to a battery recycling bins? I don't have any recycling centers or retail locations that accept them (my local Lowe's said no loose batteries allowed, and my local recycling center that deals with batteries kind of umm... does not exist). Normally I would have a method of disposal, but not able to use it currently. Any ideas?

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Call your whoever does your trash pickup for instructions. My local city uses a third party for scheduled porch pickup. They mail packing material with labels and then pickup on the day scheduled. I keep old batteries in a box and call for pickup when I have a bunch. An easy process and we really don’t want li-ion batteries in the landfill.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Call your whoever does your trash pickup for instructions. My local city uses a third party for scheduled porch pickup. They mail packing material with labels and then pickup on the day scheduled. I keep old batteries in a box and call for pickup when I have a bunch. An easy process and we really don’t want li-ion batteries in the landfill.

The local trash company told me to wrap them in black tape and toss em in the trash. The only battery recycling I have available is for car batteries and battery packs. Guess I'll just do what I always did and stash them for now and use them for long range target practice later.

Reactions: Iron Molly

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to dispose of old vape batteries when you don't have access to a battery recycling bins? I don't have any recycling centers or retail locations that accept them (my local Lowe's said no loose batteries allowed, and my local recycling center that deals with batteries kind of umm... does not exist). Normally I would have a method of disposal, but not able to use it currently. Any ideas?
Staples and Best Buy also take batteries if you have one nearby.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    The local trash company told me to wrap them in black tape and toss em in the trash.
    I read an article or post or saw a video a while back about batteries exploding and garbage trucks. It had to do with the compacter thing on the trucks. I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense to me.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I read an article or post or saw a video a while back about batteries exploding and garbage trucks. It had to do with the compacter thing on the trucks. I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense to me.

Definitely a risk. Crushing or piercing a Li ion battery can certainly cause it to enter a thermal runaway.

Do not know what caused this fire, was curious how garbage trucks deal with them.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    The local trash company told me to wrap them in black tape and toss em in the trash. The only battery recycling I have available is for car batteries and battery packs. Guess I'll just do what I always did and stash them for now and use them for long range target practice later.

Hmmm, surprising. Perhaps they didn't comprehend these were Lithium Ion batteries? Lithium-ion Batteries are Causing Five-alarm Fires in Garbage Trucks, Waste and Recycling Facilities. Both safety and environmental issue. I would call again and stress they are Lithium Ion. And ask for a supervisor if necessary.

Edit: Just dug a bit on Lowe's battery recycling. If you tape the batteries together in a single row and cover both poles of the batteries with electrical tape, they are no longer "loose batteries".

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I do not, sadly. Thanks for the tip though.
    Zaryk lives in an extremely isolated location, from where he rules the Galaxy (quite rightly). He is uniquely suited this role due to his solipsistic philosophical process. He rejects ontology entirely - and wherever possible refuses to even assert or question whether things exist independently or form any phenomenological principles.

• Winner
    Reactions: Zaryk

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Question. Is it really necessary to tape Both poles? I know everybody does it but is it a fact? Jack?

ABSOLUTELY IT IS!

The reason why lowes and other places only want power packs, not loose batteries is because the contacts of the batteries are not exposed on a power pack. The contacts on the battery packs are exposed, but there is a circuit in the power pack to prevent shorts from blowing the batteries up.

This is the whole reason behind the policy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread