Status
Not open for further replies.

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I'd say a week or so easily.
I've been camping/wheelin with my Prodigy and 8-18650's.
Never used them all but they were ready to go when I did drop a fresh one in.

I don't know about the 14500's or the CR123A's but I'd guess about the same.

Some of my batts (any size) last better than others both in holding and delivery.
Must be the lightbulb thing..

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
I know lithiums have the lowest self-discharge rates of any battery chemistry types, but I think the exact stats on it are all over the place. The CPF (lightbulb forum) has discussed this with varying cell sizes throughout their forum, but I'd still say there's no precise answer here. I've heard batteries with the pcb (protected) self-discharge at a slightly higher rate than unprotected cells do. Regardless, if you go with the tenergies or aw's that will fit either the Protege or the Prodigy you'll be good for quite some time in standby mode. Certainly long enough, under normal conditions, before you'll have to charge them up again.

buGG

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
Can I use a "Tenergy Lion 18650 3.7 2600 MAH" in my Protege.

And if I can what would be the difference from the one I am currently using. "Tenergy Lion 14500 3.7 900 MAH"

Lay it on me Battery guys.

No, you can't. The 18650 is roughly 18mm in diameter and 65mm in length. Accordingly, the 14500 is roughly 14mm in diameter and 50mm in length. There is usually some additional size (mm) to the length and diameter, especially when protected cells, but overall these are the general measurements. Notice how the measurements are found within the actual battery type (i.e. 18650, 14500, 16340, 10440, 14250, etc.)

The 18650 is a great battery, but relatively speaking, it's a beast compared to the size of a 14500. You could probably hide a Protege containing a 14500 inside an 18650 battery. Your only options on a Protege would be using both protected and/or unprotected 14500 cells, which would give you 3.7V, or using two 14250s in series, which would give you 7.4V (but you'd need a regulator or a high resistance/ HV atty to bring the voltage down to tolerable levels with this setup).

Hope this helps...

buGG

Last edited:

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Seen these, never tried .. It certainly isn't designed for it and I don't think you should even try it with the original tact switch but, I do believe you could run 2x with the mech switch.

With the V2 ring it should step it down just like it's big brother.

Are they the exact diamater as the 14500's? Where / who has them in stock?

Last edited:

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
Seen these, never tried .. It certainly isn't designed for it and I don't think you should even try it with the original tact switch but, I do believe you could run 2x with the mech switch.

With the V2 ring it should step it down just like it's big brother.

Are they the exact diamater as the 14500's? Where / who has them in stock?

what is this "v2 ring" you speak of? is it the "mystery" material in the found on the v2 switch housing? :D

regardless, if this fits in the protege or not, it's likely to take the meager mAh rated 14250s (300-350) down even further. the use of a higher resistance atomizer, on the other hand, should slightly extend the battery performance. i think the hv atty is the best bet in this type of setup. now whether the setup is even worthwhile to begin with, may be a separate issue altogether. :D

but yeah, they do fit. both the aw 14250s from lighthound and the protected 14250s from another supplier here on the forum. diameters and length are virtually indistinguishable from their aw/tenergy unprotected and aw protected 14500 counterparts when stacked in series.

buGG

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
if you have a little case or travel compartment that you carry your protege and/or spare atty, juice, battery in...it's a good small addition to throw in a set of these 14250s and a high resistance atty to get a high voltage (don't know what voltage just yet, but definitely high) vape for a couple hours if you don't have either a prodigy or passthrough readily available to you. just another option out there.

buGG

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
I'm just looking to try HV to see if I like it or not. I don't see 14250's being a long term solution

If you have a Protege already, seriously consider getting the Passthrough extension cable to do some of the most satisfying HV vaping imaginable when near an outlet (with USB adapter). If you go with the two 14250s then you gotta get higher resistance atomizers too or else you'll quickly pop every atty you put on it. Prodigy V2 is, of course, a great portable high voltage PV...but trying HV on the passthrough extension if you have a Protege already is probably the best way to get started...but watch out, HV vaping, and particularly right around 5V is not something you can easily back away from once you've become meaningfully acquainted. :D

buGG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread