Battery unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You're absolutely right about the danger - do not use the battery until it's fixed and be very careful how you store and handle it! The good news is that it's easily fixable. You can buy a battery wrap and rewrap the battery with the aid of a hairdryer or heat gun. Many vape shops will also rewrap batteries for a small cost or even for free.

Anonymousirishvaper

Apr 7, 2018
You could just rewrap it.. They sell battery wraps in many different colors and sizes even.. Be sure to get a new top ring along with it though.. You may even consider double wrapping it
The shops I’ve tried haven’t had battery wraps and have tried to sell me new batteries, the battery works 100% I’m just scared it might explode

Reactions: stols001

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
The shops I’ve tried haven’t had battery wraps and have tried to sell me new batteries, the battery works 100% I’m just scared it might explode

I wouldn't use it until you get it rewrapped personally.. i

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
also you may want to familiarize yourself with a guy in here that's called Mooch.. he is the Battery Master when it comes to vaping and provides a list of the top rated batteries that he has personally tested..The ratings from the suppliers aren't always truthful of what they claim.. Just an FYI

dmbtke

Sep 26, 2014
also you may want to familiarize yourself with a guy in here that's called Mooch.. he is the Battery Master when it comes to vaping and provides a list of the top rated batteries that he has personally tested..The ratings from the suppliers aren't always truthful of what they claim.. Just an FYI

Now I’m about to jump down this rabbit hole

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
If you can't find a wrap locally (or right now), I would buy a new battery and retire the one with the damaged wrap until you can rewrap it. Then you can add it to a rotation with the new battery once it's rewrapped and safe again.

I would suggest you purchase some wraps and keep them on hand. I always buy 10-20 wraps each time I order batteries, so that I DO have them on hand when needed.

The past year, I have been using clear wraps to double wrap my batteries before I will even use them.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

Rats. It's annoying when shops try any excuse to sell you something instead of being helpful. Try this:

18650 Battery Wraps

I'd suggest picking up a stack of wraps and some insulator rings. Torn wrappings is just one of those things that tends to happen with vaping. You can find plenty of rewrapping videos on Youtube. Watch a few and pick a method that works for you.

The problem with a compromised wrap is that the whole outer case of the battery is the negative pole. If anything metal ever connects the positive with the negative (such as the casing of a mod), you'll have a short, and shorts can easily go boom. An exploding lithium battery is not something you want to see, much less experience. ;)

Mooch was mentioned above. He's a great resource. He's created a list of recommended batteries for us. What you might be most interested in now is the blue part of the chart, which includes a list of trusted vendors. It's where I got the link above:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/7fdf0dbf-4d99-4676-932d-b3259735ef7d-jpeg.735233/

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
If you can't find a wrap locally (or right now), I would buy a new battery and retire the one with the damaged wrap until you can rewrap it. Then you can add it to a rotation with the new battery once it's rewrapped and safe again.

I would suggest you purchase some wraps and keep them on hand. I always buy 10-20 wraps each time I order batteries, so that I DO have them on hand when needed.

The past year, I have been using clear wraps to double wrap my batteries before I will even use them.
That is the way to go -- buy a new one until you get wraps. Ebay Ireland has a number of listings for them.

Score 69 - I just ordered some batteries and I am going to try that with a clear wrap --great idea.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I got enough wraps to wrap the world's batteries for a month from Amazon. They were inexpensive, and came in a variety of sizes. You might try there. An insulator ring or a few might come in handy. I've usually been able to reuse mine, but sometimes they get lost, or degraded as well.

If you have other batteries to use, use them. If you don't have enough, well, buy a spare set or two. They can come in handy, and it's better to have what you need to hand, than to have to worry about more batteries, or when you have time to get to rewrapping. It's also cheaper to use a well-regarded seller of authentic batteries than a vape shop if you can. It is I guess possible to find authentic batteries in vape shops, but the prices are overinflated, and there really is no way to guarantee they're authentics, and/or not rewarps or cheap seconds that failed Qc from the big manufacturers. I think this can happen more often than one may think.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are your battery wraps and insulator rings intact?

Why Repairing Batteries With Cracked Wraps Is Absolutely Essential

Battery tears

You might ask why do battery manufacturers use such a fragile wrap? Well, you may not know that the batteries we use for vaping were never intended to be used like we use them. They were designed to be used only in battery packs for the auto and power tool industry ... never intended to be removed and re-inserted frequently as a stand-alone power source like we vapers use them.

images
18650 battery pack with battery management system

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread