Battery wrap peeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

asharru

Feb 7, 2015
pgh, pa
I look at it as a better safe than sorry situation. If my wrap has as much as just a small nick in it, I peel and replace it with a new one. Until I started vaping I never knew that the housing of a lithium-ion battery was its negative post. Once I understood that, I understood why it's important to keep your wraps in good shape.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Thermal runaway, exploding batteries, takes place when the the nipple of the positive end is bridged to the outer casing of the battery. This can happen from a small piece of metal in your pocket, a key, or small, loose debris. You're an adult so be safe and keep your gear clean. Re-wrapping takes a few minutes and could prevent injury.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
At what point does a peeling 18650 battery wrap become unsafe? Some of mine are starting to peel back where it wraps at the base. Thanks!

If youre asking the question then it’s already too late. Do Not Use until it gets rewrapped or properly disposed of!!!

• Deleted by retired1

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not just because of the damaged wrap. It was 5 years old, and not holding a charge like it used too. Replacing it was a better personal choice to me than rewrapping it.

I use a MiBoxer C4 charger that shows internal resistance in the display. I don't necessarily trash a cell unless vape time is noticeable lower than other cells. 400 milliohms would be a good indicator that the cell needs to be replaced according to most sources I've read.

I rotate 8 18650's in my ecigs and flashlights and those have been working well for over two years. Vaping at 10 watts makes my cells last for years. I still have some 18650's that developed higher resistance. I use those in my LED flashlights and still get good service from them around the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: tj99959
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread