BB Passthrough question

Status
Not open for further replies.

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
I recently decided to get back into vaping after a 6 month break (I had successfully quit smoking and vaped exclusively for almost 5 months, until I went through some stressful real life crap 6 months ago that dragged me back into the world of analogs). After doing some research on here I decided to go with the BB (I had already given away all my old gear), and I could not be more pleased. Its definitely an incredible little device, and I'm loving it.

I am however wondering what I might be doing wrong as far as the passthrough that I ordered with it. I've hooked it up to multiple power sources; several computers, the dual USB power adapter recommended in several threads on this board (5v, 2000ma if I remember correctly), and a powered hub. No matter what I hook it up to however, it seems to function worse than with a standard 3.7v battery. When using the PT, its all around a weaker vape than just using the standard batteries that came with the BB (no 5/6v dual batts or anything, just the standard 3.7). Am I missing something? Is it possible I got a defective passthrough? Anyone else come across something similar?

I really want to see how this thing vapes at higher power, and was hoping the PT @ 5v would do the trick as opposed to buying special batts (at least until more protected batt options become available that work with the BB), but as far as I can tell, the PT is a downgrade across the board in terms of performance. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for the wall of text, should have tried to trim it down a bit... Sometimes I get a little carried away. Either way, thanks in advance!

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yeah, I've tried the same atty/cart on other batts (all 3.7v) and its definitely weaker with the PT. This is my first PT, so I really have nothing to compare it with, but I definitely assumed with 5v it would hit harder, and require less time holding down the button for a full vape... Instead its the opposite. :(

Gonna tinker with it some more, and if its still not performing right I'll get in touch with em and see if they have any ideas.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
rob if your out there if i use 2 16340 3.7 volt batterys in my bullet is this 7.4 volts or only 6 volts .... or does any one know the anser to my question will it blow attys or not thanks lawnman3 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Using the 3.7v batteries will actually be running at 8.4 volts, some are able to do it with out blowing out their atty, some blow instantly.
Chad

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
I recently decided to get back into vaping after a 6 month break (I had successfully quit smoking and vaped exclusively for almost 5 months, until I went through some stressful real life crap 6 months ago that dragged me back into the world of analogs). After doing some research on here I decided to go with the BB (I had already given away all my old gear), and I could not be more pleased. Its definitely an incredible little device, and I'm loving it.

I am however wondering what I might be doing wrong as far as the passthrough that I ordered with it. I've hooked it up to multiple power sources; several computers, the dual USB power adapter recommended in several threads on this board (5v, 2000ma if I remember correctly), and a powered hub. No matter what I hook it up to however, it seems to function worse than with a standard 3.7v battery. When using the PT, its all around a weaker vape than just using the standard batteries that came with the BB (no 5/6v dual batts or anything, just the standard 3.7). Am I missing something? Is it possible I got a defective passthrough? Anyone else come across something similar?

I really want to see how this thing vapes at higher power, and was hoping the PT @ 5v would do the trick as opposed to buying special batts (at least until more protected batt options become available that work with the BB), but as far as I can tell, the PT is a downgrade across the board in terms of performance. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for the wall of text, should have tried to trim it down a bit... Sometimes I get a little carried away. Either way, thanks in advance!
The Pass throughs are a complete mechanical design. You should see a decent bit of vapor from it, seems there could be a clearance issue internally. PM me your contact info so I can get it touch with you.
Chad

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I have three 5V direct connect PT's; Puresmoker USBPass, VaprLife VP Passthru and The BB pass thru. I've used the same power supply(the 5V 2Amp USB adapter) on all three, and although the BB does perform better then when on 3.7V 14500 battery, it doesn't quite approach the performance of the other 2 models I have. The ONLY difference I can think of is the wire. The Wire on the other 2 PT's is quite thick(20 gauge). I don't know what the guage is on the BB PT's wire but it looks considerably thinner then the other 2. My guess would be the thinner wire is creating more resistance, thereby decreasing the current reaching the atty.
If I remember correctly, this issue was already addressed by Rob in a previous thread where the exact same idea/thought was brought up(about the thinner wire). I believe Rob had inferred that he would make other, larger gauge cords available on the website, possibly in the future.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
I've hooked it up to multiple power sources; several computers, the dual USB power adapter recommended in several threads on this board (5v, 2000ma if I remember correctly), and a powered hub. No matter what I hook it up to however, it seems to function worse than with a standard 3.7v battery. When using the PT, its all around a weaker vape than just using the standard batteries that came with the BB (no 5/6v dual batts or anything, just the standard 3.7). Am I missing something? Is it possible I got a defective passthrough? Anyone else come across something similar?

It's more than likely it's the power supplies you're using. That they can't supply the necessary current (Amps). Almost invariably the 5v USB ports on PCs and most all hubs, etc. can supply 0.5 amps. If you want to run 5v through a 510 atomizer you're going to need aabout 2 amps.

You need a power supply that can produce at least 1.5 amps. 2 amps is ideal. They do have some powered (you need to plug a wall wart into the wall socket) USB things for charging stuff. I've never seen one. If it does say 2000ma and it's really inexpensive it just may be overrated or falsely labled. What a lot of people, myself included, are using is the Enercell power supply from Radio Shack. They have various ones. The one most suitable for our needs is the 2Amp selectable voltage one. You can select 3v, 5v, 6v, 6.5v, 7v, 7.5v and it will supply up to 2Amps of current. You need the size "N" plug with it for the BB PT. This power supply will cost you right about $40. (they charge more for the power supply in the store but you get 1 extra plug with it for free so it works out the same as buying both online).

Enercell High-Power AC Adapter : AC Adapters | RadioShack.com
Enercell Adaptaplug N : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
If she's referring to this adapter(which sold out about a month and a half ago):
USB Dual Power Adapter

I , as well as hundreds of others, can attest that this device(although inexpensive) works excellently. As I said in my previous post on this thread, it powers All my Direct connect 5V PT's(PS and Vaprlife) like a champ(the BB is a bit less intense, although still good, because the included cord is not as thick - however I have already tried the BB PT with a better quality cord and the same USB dual adapter power source, and it's functionality improves to the same level as the PS & VPlife. I have not had any problems since.

I still believe, as was pointed out several weeks ago in another thread, that the cord included with the original BB PT is a likely source of any "underpower issues" that you may be having with the BB PT. Since the USB Dual adapter is no longer availble(at least for the time being), The Enercell device is a great option(although when I last checked it was not available through the Radio Shack website either)

P.S. I just checked and the Enercell device IS available, they must have just recently got it back in stock.

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
I still believe, as was pointed out several weeks ago in another thread, that the cord included with the original BB PT is a likely source of any "underpower issues" that you may be having with the BB PT.

Ummm, if the power supply is adequate but the cord is the source of the "underpower issue" wouldn't the cord get hot? Is that the case? I've never used the cord myself.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
No the original cord did not get hot. I was , however, only using 3-4 second short vapes at a time with several minute delays in between(that's how I vape). I did not do a repeated long interval test trial, as that was not the purpose. I simply went and purchased a different better quality cord and the BB PT improved to the level of my other 2 PT's.

NightVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
LA
It's more than likely it's the power supplies you're using. That they can't supply the necessary current (Amps). Almost invariably the 5v USB ports on PCs and most all hubs, etc. can supply 0.5 amps. If you want to run 5v through a 510 atomizer you're going to need aabout 2 amps.

You need a power supply that can produce at least 1.5 amps. 2 amps is ideal. They do have some powered (you need to plug a wall wart into the wall socket) USB things for charging stuff. I've never seen one. If it does say 2000ma and it's really inexpensive it just may be overrated or falsely labled. What a lot of people, myself included, are using is the Enercell power supply from Radio Shack. They have various ones. The one most suitable for our needs is the 2Amp selectable voltage one. You can select 3v, 5v, 6v, 6.5v, 7v, 7.5v and it will supply up to 2Amps of current. You need the size "N" plug with it for the BB PT. This power supply will cost you right about $40. (they charge more for the power supply in the store but you get 1 extra plug with it for free so it works out the same as buying both online).

Enercell High-Power AC Adapter : AC Adapters | RadioShack.com
Enercell Adaptaplug N : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com

Going to the Shack today to pick one up. I'm new to this, can I run it higher than the 5 volt setting on BB pt ? Say 6v for example.

I will be using mostly cartomizers.

With this power supply, how does the vape compare with the standard battery vape?

Thanks....appreciate the great information.
NightVapor

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
The BB pt will handle whatever voltage you select. Your atomizer/cartomizer might not though. Not dangerous or anything. They just burn out like a fuse. Shouldn't be a problem at 5v. Like Chad said, I find regular 510 atomizers at 5v to be ideal. Possibly a tiny bit on the hot side. 901 atomizers I prefer at 6v and maybe they're a tiny bit on the cool side.

What juice you're using is a really big factor too. Some juices vape better at higher voltages and some don't. and there's always personal preference, some people like some juices at the higher (hotter) voltages and others at lower (cooler) voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread