Not open for further replies.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Scientific evidence could certainly prove me wrong, my opinion is not at all scientific.

I think chain vaping has less to do with becoming (cue scary music) "a HARD CORE Nicotine addict" and more to do with:
a) cigarette rush vs. steady low dose maintenance
b) hand to mouth habit
c) oral fixation
d) loss of the appetite suppressant effect of cigarettes.

Papagoatee

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2008
I chain vape A LOT after I got my Kissbox Classic. Even more so after I got my Tornado. In front of my PC, in front of my tele, in the toilet, after a meal.

i can feel that my whole body is loaded with nicotine. However, I do not get the tight chest feeling as compared to when I was chain smoking.

I won't deny the fact that it may be harmful in the long run, but I also know it will not be as harmful as analogs.

So what da hell. Chain vape all the way! :D

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
How do you become "more hooked (addicted)" to something? Either you're addicted or not.

If people could become more addicted to nicotine, you'd see every longtime smoker smoking 10 packs a day, when in reality, most people are around 1-2 packs at most or 20-40mg of nicotine.

A cigarette contains 10mg of nicotine. Research says we absorb about 1mg of that or 10%. 1mg X 20 cigarettes = 20mg a day.

Research says the nicotine in eliquid is absorbed even less, but let's take the same 10% ratio. If you're using 3ml of 24mg (per ml) liquid a day, 2.4mg X 3ml = 7.2mg a day.

You'd have to use 8.33ml a day to even reach the same levels as what is in a pack of cigarettes.

Look at the liquid strength and how much liquid are using per day, not how often the ecig is in your mouth.

I know I certainly don't use 8ml a day. I go through 4-5ml at the most, using 12mg liquid.

Last edited:

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
How do you become "more hooked (addicted)" to something? Either you're addicted or not.

If people could become more addicted to nicotine, you'd see every longtime smoker smoking 10 packs a day, when in reality, most people are around 1-2 packs at most or 20-40mg of nicotine.

A cigarette contains 10mg of nicotine. Research says we absorb about 1mg of that or 10%. 1mg X 20 cigarettes = 20mg a day.

Research says the nicotine in eliquid is absorbed even less, but let's take the same 10% ratio. If you're using 3ml of 24mg (per ml) liquid a day, 2.4mg X 3ml = 7.2mg a day.

You'd have to use 8.33ml a day to even reach the same levels as what is in a pack of cigarettes.

Look at the liquid strength and how much liquid are using per day, not how often the ecig is in your mouth.

I know I certainly don't use 8ml a day. I go through 4-5ml at the most, using 12mg liquid.

Very insightful, that means if I'm only using 11mg liquid I'm really only getting 3.3mg of nicotine a day if I vape 3ml. Wow I'd say my addiction is not to the nicotine but the habit.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Very insightful, that means if I'm only using 11mg liquid I'm really only getting 3.3mg of nicotine a day if I vape 3ml. Wow I'd say my addiction is not to the nicotine but the habit.
^
This is what I personally believe about myself too.
The habits the thing, with a bit o'nic thrown in to keep it seated in my pleasure center.
I agree with it as well because thousands of smokers aren't continually being rushed to the OR with nic poisoning because they OD'd (as ...... addicts often do) as they smoked more n more to get higher levels of nic due to habituation of 'normal' levels.

Iceshack

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2010
Smiths Falls,Ontario
All I know is that I was a 2.5 pack a day and our packs are 25 per pack. So I guess I would be getting around 55 to 65 mg per day from the formula wow I never actually figured it out that way. All I can say is thanks to this unit the 510 and my 28mg menthol juice they are actually saving my life. Thank you evapers.com.
I was actually worried when I say others only using like 1 ml a day. A 30 ml bottle is only lasting me 2 weeks. I now understand why. Thank you all for the info and making me feel a bit more happy about how much I am using.

evnan111

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2010
Florida
:laugh:
I love vaping WAY more than I enjoyed smoking.

It's like a deam come true....nicotine hits with flavor, "smoke" and a real cig feel with no hacking tar or really nasty chemicals.

Problem is I now vape 24/7 when I used to smoke mabe 1/2 to a pack a day....so the nasty chemicals and tar is gone but I'm taking Nic hits more often on the e cig cause it's so convenient.

These things can turn you into a HARD CORE Nicotine addict.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, unless we learn that large amounts of Nicotine and the other stuff in the juice over MANY MANY years is a very bad thing

Just saying....

Has anyone REALLY, HONESTLY used an e cig as a means to get off nic?

I'm not planning on giving up vaping.

I used ecigs to quit and did. Then a month later to the day quit nicotine. And now about five weeks have been nicotine free. Can see my posts on how I quit nicotine.

Having said that and that is ALOT since I smoked over 35 years. I now VAPE 24/7 pretty much, 0mg nicotine eliquid from BWBrew. I would like to cut down vaping what amounts to flavored vapor without a drug in it so, why do I want to vape so much. :) Practically like a binky in my mouth!

It's was Nov. 5th that I quit nicotine so I'm not going to worry about anything except staying cig/nicotine free for the first time in my life. And later hope to put it up in the cabinet more or for that bad day when I need it.... Vaping... Not nicotine. Have it to grab if needed.

One thing from experience you might find interesting. I quit analogs Oct 7. Taste buds and appetite pretty much stayed the same. Lung expansion, breathing energy way up there! Wonderful How much better I felt and feel now.

-But it wasn't until after I stopped the nicotine that MY TASTE BUDS CAME ALIVE. And my appetite (while no nicotine cravings after first two days, except for one here and there few and far between)
-my appetite exploded. I gained 8 lbs in as many days. It wasn't so much a craving but a new healthy appetite and great/different taste buds.

So now I'm cigarette free. Nicotine free. Vape 24/7, and love corn on the cob dripping in butter with alot of salt and pepper. :laugh::?:

Last edited:

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Hahaha, yeah I hear where you guys are coming from loud and clear! I smoked a pack a day and switched to vaping... I work for a web company in an office all day and they are all really supportive of the switch. I vape alllll day long at my desk, I used to sometimes make myself sick off of it, getting the sweats and everything but I have learned to pace myself. I have stepped down my nicotine amounts over time, and sometimes I dilute what I have with a 0 nicotine juice. I find that I really don't have nicotine withdrawals anymore, I am really addicted to the act of puffing something though. I have also switched to a stand up desk as well to at least make my office situation a little better for me heheh. My co-workers notice when I buy new flavors, "Dude, that smells amazing! What the heck are you making pancakes over there?" =)

Its interesting that once people are educated about what I am actually doing, they really end up loving being around it for the most part... of course some people still glare at me.... Luddites.

fair dinkum

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Australia
Yes there has been/are quite a few members here that went to zero nic or quit vaping as well....

The hard part here on this forum is, the ones that quit vaping entirely usually stop coming on to the forum...so the new members either never know that someone is gone or miss the good bye posts like this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/outside/78927-im-really-gonna-miss-place.html
You're probably right, most vapers that quit probably don't return to the forum. In my case I have returned this time.

When I started vaping on the 16 Dec 2009 it was self serving and my sole goal was to quit smoking. I achieved this and I must say it was very easy for me, although I realise it is not the same for everyone. When I decided to try and cut down the amount of nicotine I also found that was quite easy to do, although it took some 7 months to cut back to 0mg nicotine but then again I wasn't in a hurry. The chance to quit vaping altogether came about purely because I cut back from 5-6 cups of coffee a day to 1 cup a day and I found that I was hardly vaping and I just stopped vaping.

The important thing for me is that I found that vaping was the easiest and most pleasant way that I ever quit smoking. I also believe that 'our' little habits or addictions are mostly in our mind. None of my friends ever thought I could give up smoking and when I did some of them didn't believe I could quit vaping because I enjoyed it so much. Some of those same friends also didn't believe I could seriously cut back on my coffee 'habit'. I only wish I was a gambling man and had taken some serious bets.

I have learnt a lot from some people on this forum especially when I first started vaping and for that I am appreciative. I don't know whether vaping is the 'be all and end all' but I do know that in my case it definitely helped me quit smoking and it is what I have recommended to anyone who has ever asked me how I quit.

Good luck to everyone else who uses vaping to help them quit smoking from a happy ex-smoker and ex-vaper.

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
Until I found vaping, I always vowed that I enjoyed smoking too much to ever quit. And honestly, had no doubt it would eventually kill me in one way or another. I don't see myself ever smoking analogs again, but I also don't see myself ever quitting vaping unless I am forced to (by our government that doesn't feel I am capable of making my own decisions about my health or potential risks to it) I can live with moderate nicotine addiction from vaping and I am willing to accept any potential risks that we just don't know about yet from vaping. Hell, people take FDA approved medications for years, only to be told decades later that some unknown risk existed from the medication. The bottom line is we just don't know the long-term implications of many things we use in our daily lives until years or decades later. So I am not going to worry about it and I still think vaping is far safer than analog usage, no matter how much you are doing it.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
The e-cig (ego) works for me in the day. Satisfies both the craving for nicotine rush and the actions of smoking. Plus I like the energised head and body rush I get from it (like a caffeine pick me up) , as duing the day I want to feel energetic not tight chested and stinky.

It does not work at all when drunk or just before bed time if I feel the craving for a cig.

Before bed vaping just gives me insomnia whereas a cigarette actually relaxes me.

Same when drunk, the e-cig does nada but a cig realxes me and gives me that dry hit I need.

I am pretty sure this is due to the carbon monoxide effect. Lower blood oxygen will of course make you feel sleepy. Nicotine itself does not relax anyone as it is a stimulant.

So there is more to vaping and smoking than mere nicotine addiction.

I'm still happy even though I have not entitely wuit smoking (am puffing a Dunhill Orient right now with a beer before bed.)

Smoked for 21 years but for the last 5 years only smoked 3 -4 in the evenings at home and maybe a pack over a weekend if out with the lads or the same 3 -4 a day if not.

I am now down to 1 -2 per evening, usually only 1. And have cut my weekend intake by about half when out on the town as the e-cig satisfies right up until and actual alcohol buzz kicks in. Once that buzz kicks in - e-cig goes out of mind.

Have been reccomended to get a high mg nic juice for drinking and add pga for good th. Will try it but will be surprised if it works as well as a Dunhill or a Camel Blue.

My point is - nicotine is not the only thing that addicted us to smoking at all. I'm hoping to blend some of my own juices that give me the th I need down to a t; complex and strong flavors (want to mix RY4 with a strong tobacco juice and a strong espresso juice) to realy combine, th, nicotine and complex, strong flavors to add up to a satisfying vape.

But vaping will never make you feel like smoking did and that is why the gum and patch did absolutely nothing for me even though they did give me a massive nicotine buzz.

Tobacco and it's alkaloids are very complex and nicotine makes up only a small part of the patchwork imho. Which makes me wonder if e-juice makers should experiment with adding other tobacco alkoloids to their juices...?

pvs give the nic, flavor, th and the hand to mouth behaviour as well as inhaling and exhaling a cloud. I think it is an awesome invention and will keep mine forever as like I said it has probably halfed my cigarett intake and I am a lot less lethargic (I also find a good morning blast on the pv, especially with menthol, clears up my lungs if I smoked a few cigs the previous evening.)

Doubt I'll ever quit that before bed cig and the drunk cigs though.

Last edited:

toriL

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Virginia, USA
One of my sisters quit smoking years ago using the nicotine gum, she chewed that stuff 24/7 - and she chewed it for four years before finally weaning herself off of it by mixing it with "Real" gum a little at a time.

It took me months to finally give up those last two cigs a day, I've been tobacco free over a month now and expect to lower my nicotine levels this year. I learned from my sister that slow and steady wins the race and if I have to depend on vaping over the course of a few years to make it gradually to that finish line of freedome from cigarettes for the rest of my life, I'll do just that.

The hard part is done - cigarettes are no longer part of my life. Now I'll take as long as I need to get off the nicotine.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I know plenty of people who use caffeine all day long. Because the health risks are so low, no one tells them to quit unless they have heart problems. Smokeless nicotine has been shown to have similar low-health risks as caffeine.

I don't intend to quit low-risk caffeine use, so I don't intend to quit low-risk nicotine use either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread