Beginner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdad

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Honolulu, HI
For long term storage, do you vacuum pack your snus, then freeze it?

If so, is it best to separate the mint flavors from the more mild flavors?

Former smokers only, how long did you keep your snus in when you first started? After about 15 minutes I get way too much nicotine and this is with mini portions. Is this "normal?"

I find snus satisfying but I still get a little cranky if I don't smoke once in a while. Is this normal and will it pass?

I guess that's all the questions for now but I'm sure I'll come up with more later. You guys were right, snus is very tasty and the salt you don't really pay much attention to after a while.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Hi sdad, I've seen a lot of your posts looking for answers on your journey. Hopefully this will help of WTA, I know you've been looking at that also. You have to understand, everyone's journey is a bit different and the same goes for experience. I went from 2-3 packs a day to 6 cigarettes a day with my PV for 6 months or so. When I found snus, I instantly lost any desire for cigarettes but that might be because, after 43 years, I was just tired of smoking and spending what it costs for smokes.

For long term storage, do you vacuum pack your snus, then freeze it?

I personally freeze mine, but some just store it where the temp is cool (like a basement). Some refrigerate. I posted a link to an article a few pages back in the "What's under your lip" thread that states it will hold up much longer frozen. I just leave everything in the boxes they came in. Vacuum packing would probably be better, but I can't be bothered. I have noticed some hold up better frozen than others but I'm talking long term storage, in some cases years.

If so, is it best to separate the mint flavors from the more mild flavors?

Not sure if you mean stored or opened and carried. Stored, I don't think it makes a difference in unopened cans. In carrying different portions for a day or two usage, it's personal preference. I like to have various flavors mix and am not fussy, I just want the goods.

Former smokers only, how long did you keep your snus in when you first started? After about 15 minutes I get way too much nicotine and this is with mini portions. Is this "normal?"

I always have kept mine in till they either didn't taste good anymore or weren't delivering. I have always been a long snuser, hours sometimes. Heck sometimes, many times, I'll go to sleep snusing. I get some vivid dreams which have been quite lucid. Two days ago I had a dream where I was dying and I knew it. I felt my arms raised to the air, a bright light shown above me and I was somehow moved into the light. I told a few people about that one and they thought it was scary. I didn't find it that way.

I find snus satisfying but I still get a little cranky if I don't smoke once in a while. Is this normal and will it pass?

Can't help you there. Are you snusing and vaping? I was pretty fine with snus alone and only got back to vaping when WTA came out. Feels more like a cig to me, but I vape like I'm smoking a cigar or pipe. Maybe a ml every three days.

I guess that's all the questions for now but I'm sure I'll come up with more later. You guys were right, snus is very tasty and the salt you don't really pay much attention to after a while.

I don't even notice the salt anymore, or rarely.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
The only thing I could possibly add to Roth's post is that I put a snus in before the cravings for a cig get too far along. To give it time to deliver the goods. If there is a more pressing need, I use snuff to stay ahead of things. It has more of an instant gratification, like a cigarette. As far as still wanting a cig once in a while, I was that way too in the beginning. I learned not to beat myself up too badly aobut it if I had one, because of all the cig's I wasn't smoking any more. Eventually I was able to work my way down to none.

sdad

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Thanks for the info and words of encouragement...much appreciated! Yeah, this has been hard for me and I'm still not there yet. I got some WTA (not from Aroma) and still undecided if it works for me or not. Still waiting on the WTA from Aroma, seems it may have gotten lost in the mail. Got about 25 cans of various snus in the freezer and a few remnant cigarettes. Trying not to smoke but it's hard.

I don't know how you guys can keep a snus in for an hour?!?! I think I would be pretty sick. I suspect that I have a very mild nicotine dependence and it's the "other stuff" that is a big part for me so I guess that would explain why 10-15 minutes per mini snus is enough. It sure does take away the physical need for a cig, but the mental part is still hard.

Guttermouth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Tn
www.guttermouthelectronics.com
The nicotine was secondary for me as well.
If you're still smoking semi regularly, the snus and cigs may just be too much nic for you.Just try to get on a regular schedule with the snus and it will help even out the craving roller coaster a bit and maybe help fight those cigarette urges.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I keep my snus in for well over an hour. Two hours is not uncommon. I know it's highly unlikely I'm actually getting anything out of the snus at that point so it's likely more physiological. You get most of the goods in snus in the first half hour. I find I tend to peak on a snus after about 20 to 30 minutes. Minis are very likely less time. If you keep your minis in longer you may well find it will mellow out in short order. There just isn't that much nicotine in a mini so even if you smoked a half a pack on lights a day a mini is not to much.

It did take me a while to get over cigarettes. The thing I seemed to miss is the quick hit. There is that instant hit that focused me in seconds. Snus, and even e-cigs, take longer to get the goods. There is an adjustment. It took me at least six months to get over it, and some folks claim up to a year. The good news is it gets easier the longer you stay away from the smokes.

Edit: hey Gutter, you posted that while I was writing. Good advice.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    All good advice from seasoned snusers. For me, how long I keep a portion in depends on how long the flavor lasts. I would say my range is anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours. Some brands get a little slimy if you keep them in too long.

I used to guilt myself into depression whenever I would have a smoke. Don't do that. It doesn't help at all. Trust me. To me, the name of the game is harm reduction. Every time you vape or snus instead of having a smoke it is a step in the right direction. Some different combination works for each of us. It's a tough road but you just have to find the combination that works for you. In the meantime if you need some advice or just need to talk then you are in the right place and amongst good company. The " what's under your lip" thread is the easiest place to get our attention and you are welcome to just come in and hang out with us.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
    Mar 18, 2009
    After about 15 minutes I get way too much nicotine and this is with mini portions. Is this "normal?"

That was 'normal' for me. It was so normal, I gave up portions entirely. I bought the smallest Icetool I could find (3 ml) and now make my own portions using one click of the Icetool and coffee filters. I no longer get too much nicotine. I no longer get the hiccups. I no longer have to be drinking liquids when snusing. And I get 60 hits out of one can of los.

YMMV

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread