• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far --Full Credit to Nuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Vaporer, THANKS so much for the kind words! Glad you're feeling better.
Yah, those pesky little details like Milliliters and drips or drops or whatever,
if you're going to use drops, different viscosity of each ingredient will not measure the same. It won't taste as good, for sure!

My solution was to go to measuring strictly in milliliters, that way viscosity is not an issue. Measure to measure. Had a LOT of trouble counting drops of absolute, it is very thick and sticky, and no two drops ever came out of the bottle the same. So went to throw-away pipettes with milliliter graduations to save having to clean them. I just rinsed them as well as I could in the EverClear, so didn't waste any tobacco absolute after I had a few batches made of the Absolute Mix. It is at Gold Standard prices!!

I am still waiting on an order for some caramel and hazelnut flavorings that contain no sugar, so will have to let everyone know if anything comes out of that. The recipe stands as is for now.

Very glad you liked it. Did you also use the ECOpure Krystal?? Just wondering.
And for baby driver, , let us know when you get your order for the EM if it is liquid or crystals.

Last edited:

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
I'm not usually one to compromise.

I've gone as far as to gather a 'pallet' of over a dozen flavors and learn to use them to make some pretty nice tasting mixes. I even fine tune my final juice mixes with just the right proportion of PG and VG. However, having no chem background, I think I had better draw the line at making my own flavors.

Please guys; isn't there a decent off the shelf tobacco flavor I can just buy?

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Good point, Kona..:)But if there was, we'd not be having this kinda thread looking for that elusive "real" tobacco taste..!
Most of the tobacco flavors I tried have this sweet undertone of caramel or too strong/harsh and simply weird..Nuck's recipe knocks out so many unknowns actually and sticks with tobacco absolute for that cig taste, softened by ethyl maltol and freshened by menthol ..
Honestly..I just like the simplicity of 3 ingredients for flavoring that can be manipulated easily according to personal taste. It's fresh, clean, no colorings..!

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
People, including myself, have searched for months for even a recipe and found squat. Let alone a product for sale. It's guarded as well as what is actually in analogs.
If you ever find it you'll be rich. Most would love to find 555, Virginia, Tennessee Cured in a bottle to add to some bulk flavorless.
That was why it took Kate so long to develop the JC clone. Absolutes will give you some tobacco flavor but not the subtle overtones that make the individual flavors.

Kate, did Spice barn flavors turn up with sugar in them? Also, mine was a PG mix.;)

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
That was why it took Kate so long to develop the JC clone. Absolutes will give you some tobacco flavor but not the subtle overtones that make the individual flavors.
What is the JC clone?:confused:
Nuck initiated this thread to create a recipe using the ingredients listed for Ecopure Intellicig ejuice..ie. tobacco absolute with undertones of ethyl maltol and menthol if wanted.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Nuck,

I use your formula, or a slight variation of it with menthol added as my standard base mix for vaping and I thank you very much for your efforts.
I just received an absolute I'm anxious to try in it. Origin, Brazil.

I think Kate may have hers in another thread and I accidently posted a thanks in the wrong thread.........
Hopefully that clairifies any error or ill feelings if they were created from my posting.

Angela, thanks for the link. Going there now.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
People, including myself, have searched for months for even a recipe and found squat. Let alone a product for sale. It's guarded as well as what is actually in analogs.
If you ever find it you'll be rich. Most would love to find 555, Virginia, Tennessee Cured in a bottle to add to some bulk flavorless.

Kate, did Spice barn flavors turn up with sugar in them? Also, mine was a PG mix.;)
Surprisingly to me, the Caramel has .93 grams of sugar, the Hazelnut has 2.5 grams of sugar. The total grams of the bottle is 113 each, so very small amount of sugar relatively speaking.
So if one filters the mix, all solids should be filtered out, and really no atomizer clogging should occur. A few drops of each in a 10 ml batch would be negligable. I like the fact that the Spice Barn extracts do list all ingredients, and the extraction method used for all.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
It took me a lot of effort and about 1-1/2 months to come up with something as close as I could to a real smoke rather than yet another offshoot caramel flavour ..if you want to take credit for the effort at least have the decency to move to a new thread.
I want to say Nuck, if you hadn't put that recipe in here, I never would have even tried to clone the Johnson Creek, I would not have known where to begin and frankly would have been afraid to try. I didn't know what Ethyl Maltol was until you brought it in!
Because of your input with that "Best Attempt at Tobacco Flavor So Far!" I would have been lost. You're the building block I needed, along with a lot of others here, and I don't think anyone on these DIY threads would ever say anything different. The Old JC Original is flavored with caramel and nut, but just a hint. The hard part was getting the tobacco right, and the Ethyl Maltol was part of that secret, and adding a tiny bit of Menthol was a big plus. It really does 'cool' the tobacco.

Your post was huge, and I think I've thanked you for that before, but I'll sure give it another space right here! Believe me, I know for sure the amount of time and money you put into it, it is brutal. Can you imagine for one minute doing this for a living? Making 5 or 10 different formulas that worked? Try to please everyone? NOT ME!!

THANKS for the Beginning!!!
P.S. The ECOpure also was a huge find, and then after you posted your recipe, they came out with the Krystal (the K36) which was also KEY to getting the Original right, finally. It's the only VG that worked, night and day difference from the generic nic/VG's, and I think I tried them all! Now, I can make a 30 ml bottle of Original for about $6, everything added together. Of course, I have figured out that the first successful 10 ml bottle cost me about $300.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Nandy, I googled this,
Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug, best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and in modern thermometers. Ethanol is one of the oldest recreational drugs. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits.
So my answer would be yes, you can. Just don't use what's known as 'rubbing' alcohol, which is isopropyl alcohol, not to be taken internally.

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
Hi Kate thanks for the info. I did some research and found this.

Denatured alcohol used commercially (ethanol, ethyl alcohol), it is an alcoholic product with some additives in order to make it toxic and unpalatable, preventing its use by addicted people. A common additive is tertiary butyl alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol is another alcohol, usually isopropyl alcohol, used sometimes in external medicines. Also it is not drinkable.
The alcohol drinkable is the ethanol, used in alcoholic beverages.
Sadly many people wishing intoxication look for other kind of alcoholic products, and doing so more than getting intoxicating, can kill themselves.
Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)

From the label of the bottle of Ethyl Alcohol I had here it said that one of the inactive ingredient is the tert-butyl alcohol. So, I will not take the chance and will try to get some good vodka tomorrow. Any one recommended??? I dont drink!!! ;-)

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Here's some basic choices for alcohol:

100 proof American Vodka, which is only 50% ethyl alcohol and 50% water, no flavor.

151 proof Rum, which is basically 75% alcohol and 25% water (with flavor).

190 proof Pure Grain Alcohol (or Spirits), which is 95% alcohol and 5% water, no flavor. Everclear is one brand of it.

I'd use the 190 proof if I could get it. The rum would add some flavor of its own, which might not be bad depending on the recipe you're making.

Hope I've been of some help.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Denatured alcohol is esentially ethyl alcohol but with one difference. It's tainted so it cannot be consumed. This way it can still be purchased as a solvent and other uses without all the taxation of drinking alcohol.
It can cause blindness and organ damage if ingested.
Good choice on waiting. Vaping it would be a faster path to your system than drinking it and less quantity needed.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Denatured alcohol is esentially ethyl alcohol but with one difference. It's tainted so it cannot be consumed. This way it can still be purchased as a solvent and other uses without all the taxation of drinking alcohol.
It can cause blindness and organ damage if ingested.
Good choice on waiting. Vaping it would be a faster path to your system than drinking it and less quantity needed.
It's great for washing windows, however, with a little 4XXXX steel wool!! Yes, it has a chemical (nasty one) to make it taste awful. And make you really nauseated!! Do not use for DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread