RDA Best RDA to learn how to build on. What was your first? What did you build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Yeah, velocity is easy to build on. It is a bit different vs a standard 3 post, or 4 post RDA, so it may not be the best if you want to learn how to build on regular RDAs (if that makes sense, I don't think it does). If you want a more standard/traditional RDA, the tugboat v2 is a good easy to build on 3 post atty. There are tons of them out there though, and 80% of them are just as easy as the next to build and wick.

I started off on a stillare v2 clone I paid way too much for at a B&M last year when I first quit smoking.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I started dripping before any of these cool RDA's came out, so my first to build was an IGO-W, looking back I'm kind of glad I started with that because it has a smaller deck/chamber than most RDA's around today, so it helped me to learn to properly center my builds and get efficient wicking.

Edit: The Plume veil clone you're working with is a pretty user friendly deck to build on for a first timer, glad you're in love with vaping and staying away from those cigarettes!!

Reactions: Johnny_B

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
My first rdas were a Tobh, Plume, and Magma. The plume is probably the easiest to build, with the magma a little more difficult, and the tobh being slightly more difficult then that (due to the three post design and the airflow fin, you have to position your coil a bit differently). I agree with what others said though, the velocity by all reports is great ( waiting on mine), but its not a standard design. I'd get a four poster and three poster and try each and see which you like and what was easier to build and position on.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
My first dripper was (is, it's my only one so far) a 1:1 Magma clone from FastTech, with brass AFC ring. The first build I did (besides just hooking up one of the included pre-wired wicks that came with it) is my profile pic: a dual spaced 6/5 wrap with 28g Kanthal around a Q-Tip rod (~2.5-3mm, I think?). Came out to around 0.55 ohms, wicked with rayon, and came out pretty good for a first try, I think.

Last edited:

SLvapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
Houston
+1 on the magma, also my only rda... I chain vape too much to enjoy them imo but have rta's out the wazoo. Maybe if I ever get into

Magmas really easy to build on though. I hear people have some trouble with other drippers because it's harder to position coils correctly in relation to airflow. I'm a noob with rda though so..

Last edited:

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
My first was a Plume Veil (recommended for a beginner! Very easy to build on!) with 24 gauge Kanthal, 2.5 diameter, but I didn't know that at the time lol..the screwdriver wasn't labeled. I've tried 28 and 30 gauge, but the stuff's so springy, it's IMHO hard to work. The other problem with the higher gauges was that just a few wraps took me out of sub-ohm land, and that's where I wanted to be! I still build with 24g. -.5-.7 ohms

Since then, I've gotten to really like the Little Boy, the Royal Hunter and the Derringer. Snagged a few more Plume Veils in different colors so they'd match the mech!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread