Best voltage for a 401?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydee

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Australia
Sorry to start a new thread when there are similar threads here. The existing threads however all seem to skirt around the question or are mod/battery specific. Simple question: Which voltage gives the best combination of vapor and flavor?

From my personal testing I've discovered the following:

2.8 Volts (manual 401 battery unloaded). Nice flavor but sometimes not a lot of vapor.

3.3 V (401 auto passthrough unloaded). Similar flavor but more vapor.

4.1V (510 battery and Janty stick unloaded). What happened to the taste? It's gone.... Plenty of vapor though.

I should mention I use 24mg Dunhill juice which may or may not be more susceptible to voltage changes. I'm looking to get a big battery mod and it seems to me that I would be better going with one that is regulated down to 3.1 -3.2V like the Ego rather than going for a Hello016/Janty Stick/ Chuck, etc which all run at 3.7+V . Am I right or am I mad to think that sometimes less of something is better!! :confused:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
2.8 Volts (manual 401 battery unloaded). Nice flavor but sometimes not a lot of vapor.

3.3 V (401 auto passthrough unloaded). Similar flavor but more vapor.

4.1V (510 battery and Janty stick unloaded). What happened to the taste? It's gone.... Plenty of vapor though.

This lines up exactly with what I found. The std 401 batts didn't have enough power, full power unregulated battery MODs were overpowered (and ran thru the small cart really fast). The 401 passthru was very nice (but tethered). My favorite 401 setup was to put it on a 3.4v SLB510 clone battery, vaped like the passthru, but free to roam the world.

One thing doesn't quite line up though, I thought the Joye510 was regulated to around 3.1 or 3.2 just like the eGo?

Never tried it, but I imagine an eGo/401 combo would be pretty darn good for roaming the world for extended periods of time. I don't use 401s so much any more mostly because of the small carts (said with an 801 atty in hand) but also because they're overpowered on my MODs.

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Sounds like what 401 attys need is about 3.1. Is there a batt that could be used, w/ and adapter, that runs at 3.1 or so?

VM, those xl 40x carts that litecigusa sells work pretty good w/ the Highping plug mod. It IS good to fill a few at once though cause you need to unplug and then fill.

Anything have better flavor than a 40x? I havn't found it.
Joe

Edit, the thread about 510 to 401 in this section says that 401s run at 3.2. I am kinda comfused. *&^. Maybe that is right outa tha charger?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread