Best wicking matetial

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
it's a genny wick with a little cotton..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You're right, lol. I was just trying to give him a pic of how I do my drippers. It works really well for flavor. Also helps with low builds and chain vaping, the mesh just seem to really help the cotton pull the liquid to the coils so much faster.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
but mesh can't be used in most tanks.
It can with cotton, if you get creative. Unless it is something really small, but then again I've been able to rebuild EVOD style tanks with mesh and cotton.

It's not fun to do though, those tiny tanks are a pita. If you can rebuild one though, you can build just about anything, lol.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
You very nearly described Ready-X-Wick.

Unless of course some miracle wick is invented that is 100% tasteless, greatly improves vapor flavor, doesn't burn, doesn't get gunked up, never needs replacing and can be dry burned. In that case I might consider switching.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Have you used that yet, CMD-Ky? I have a very short piece that I ordered, and have no idea what to do with it (and have been too lazy and happy with rayon) to find out.... :)

Anna

With silica we used to wrap the coil around the wick, trying to pull the wick through an existing coil did not work well. With silica you can dry burn the crud, wash, then fire the coil to dry the wick and you're ready to go again.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have. I would like to like it but... I find it very hard to get into a coil. Once there though it is good for a looooong time.

Have you used that yet, CMD-Ky? I have a very short piece that I ordered, and have no idea what to do with it (and have been too lazy and happy with rayon) to find out.... :)

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
When I get it right... I cut the end to about 45 degrees and then sort of "screw" that end into the coil clockwise. It is a rather gentle process or it will fray wasting some very expensive stuff. I don't cut it to proper length until it is in the coil so that I have room to grip it. There is a decent video on:

READYxWICK™ Videos

@MacTechVpr knows far more about this stuff than I do. Perhaps he will chime in here.

So, just feed it through the coil? Do you cut and stuff or do you need to thin/fray it. Sorry for all the questions, I think I have 6 inches worth and don't want to ruin it with any attempt I try :)

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks for the info, CMD-Ky, I appreciate it, very helpful. Sometime soon (parent leaves in 2 days, and we went to Madera Canyon yesterday and it was actually super nice) and I believe (if all goes well today) that I will have gotten through this visit without offending her or making her (too) miserable, once! Personal goal at 90T% LOL. She even begged us to come for Christmas again, but we just can't do it/afford it. We may wind up babysitting the kid's dog while he travels there for Christmas since my kiddo didn't want to put her in a kennel (my mom offered to pay for his airfare, but frankly, he's her grandchild "reward" for having birthed *me*, I'm not saying she loves him more, necessarily, but they sure get along better with each other.)

Being the absolutely opposite kind of mom than my own, if he goes, I'd only feel happiness for *him* though it helps that I love his dog a great deal too. It would be more fun if he stayed here, but he's thinking of moving, I thought it might be a good way for him to check out Colorado... A state he is thinking of moving to. LOL. So the husband and I may have the most laidback Christmas ever.... :)

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I might add that some people put a rod into the wick itself and wrap the wire around the wick and wire. I never got that one right.

Thanks for the info, CMD-Ky, I appreciate it, very helpful. Sometime soon (parent leaves in 2 days, and we went to Madera Canyon yesterday and it was actually super nice) and I believe (if all goes well today) that I will have gotten through this visit without offending her or making her (too) miserable, once! Personal goal at 90T% LOL. She even begged us to come for Christmas again, but we just can't do it/afford it. We may wind up babysitting the kid's dog while he travels there for Christmas since my kiddo didn't want to put her in a kennel (my mom offered to pay for his airfare, but frankly, he's her grandchild "reward" for having birthed *me*, I'm not saying she loves him more, necessarily, but they sure get along better with each other.)

Being the absolutely opposite kind of mom than my own, if he goes, I'd only feel happiness for *him* though it helps that I love his dog a great deal too. It would be more fun if he stayed here, but he's thinking of moving, I thought it might be a good way for him to check out Colorado... A state he is thinking of moving to. LOL. So the husband and I may have the most laidback Christmas ever.... :)

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You're right, lol. I was just trying to give him a pic of how I do my drippers. It works really well for flavor. Also helps with low builds and chain vaping, the mesh just seem to really help the cotton pull the liquid to the coils so much faster.
Always loved the flavor mesh gives, very crisp and better then cotton...I loved it in gennys and have tried it in regular rtas, but much prefer it in gennys...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK if the rayon switch did something for *me* at just the right time in learning how to wick, but I find rayon easier in every way. It's easier to feed through the coil, it's easier to twist through the coil, and it's easier to thin/manipulate the wick honestly, including snipping it to the correct length. I started with cotton bacon though, so perhaps I just haven't tried out quality cotton, but I do not CARE, even slightly.... I just know a magical evolution happened, although I'm not going to turn my nose up at rayon's better taste and longevity, either!

LOL, this post makes me sound like a Rayonah's Witness or something, but really, rayon is super easy. As long as I keep in mind AS MUCH as I can get through the coil, and then thin/trim correctly, I get excellent results, far better than I ever got with cotton....

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
IDK if the rayon switch did something for *me* at just the right time in learning how to wick, but I find rayon easier in every way. It's easier to feed through the coil, it's easier to twist through the coil, and it's easier to thin/manipulate the wick honestly, including snipping it to the correct length. I started with cotton bacon though, so perhaps I just haven't tried out quality cotton, but I do not CARE, even slightly.... I just know a magical evolution happened, although I'm not going to turn my nose up at rayon's better taste and longevity, either!

LOL, this post makes me sound like a Rayonah's Witness or something, but really, rayon is super easy. As long as I keep in mind AS MUCH as I can get through the coil, and then thin/trim correctly, I get excellent results, far better than I ever got with cotton....
Except for the thin "leader", I do not twist. For me, the "right" amount is as much as you can possibly pull through without twisting it.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I might add that some people put a rod into the wick itself and wrap the wire around the wick and wire. I never got that one right.

Still suffers from the deficit that you can get areas of uneven pressure from the coil on the media. Everywhere that there's a gap or perhaps even inadequate pressure, internal accretion can ensue. And that is about the fastest way to sour the vape I know.

Build symmetry is indispensable.

Good luck. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I tried it both ways (just pulling, and pulling/twisting while holding the coil steady) and I have found the later way works better for me (I just keep in mind that the more material I have in my coil, the more thinning/trimming I will be doing). Since rayon shrinks when wet, I found that method really useful, as with TOO much in the tails, I got flooding....

I just had a rayon wick go bad (taste wise) in my Siren V2 and it must've lasted at least 10 days, without a SINGLE drop of leakage. No closing off air holes to fill, no bottom wicking required.

Just like marshmallow is a "magic" DIY flavor, I kind of find rayon to be a "magic" wick. I just remain very careful not to distort the wick, as if I do, then it's a fair bet that I'm OVER wicking, but that did not seem to be my problem with cotton, I appeared to be UNDER wicking, although IDK. I love it when things work, and I have an explanation, but I really don't have one with rayon (although, I will say the folks on the huge rayon thread were a HUGE help, they solved my wicking issues in like, 2 posts...)

So, I remain a fervent convert. LOL. I guess I could TRY a cotton wick next, and find out if it's really the cotton, not just my increased experience, I just can't seem to find a reason to try that... :)

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
When I get it right... I cut the end to about 45 degrees and then sort of "screw" that end into the coil clockwise. It is a rather gentle process or it will fray wasting some very expensive stuff. I don't cut it to proper length until it is in the coil so that I have room to grip it. There is a decent video on:

READYxWICK™ Videos

@MacTechVpr knows far more about this stuff than I do. Perhaps he will chime in here.

Thx for the nod CMD. Appreciate it greatly, and I would but I've gotta hustle today. Normally I'd love to post when folks are here on the weekend.

Fastest way to get an answer is simply search for Nextel or RxW and my handle. Think I've written as much about this in every way as anything else on this forum which is a considerable number of tech posts. Particularly on using RxW and squonkers. So most of those posts are likely to answer most questions we ponder on wicking.

However, it occurred to me recently that in the weeks before supX introduced KGD we had various talks about optimal wicking for microcoils. He insisted on the flavor advantages of cotton over Nextel. Now mind you, Russ always vaped unflavored back in the day. The distinct advantage of Nextel, a ceramic fiber braid is its virtual neutrality to flavor or texture. In our talks on how to best promote strain winding of micro's, I relented on the wick issue because I knew some would have distinct flavor perceptual preferences.

Had I not I wonder many times if Russ would've come around to try flavors with RxW. Had he done so I wonder, would we have a world today where most of us used Nextel?

And being that Nextel is so sensitive to asymmetry of wire surface, would we also most of us be using precision strained closed coils to best take advantage of it?

Just sayin'. Just thinking.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Rayon is more difficult to get "right" than cotton. But when it's right, it's much better than cotton. It wicks faster, it lasts longer, and a new wick doesn't taste like dirty socks.

I'd be a bit more generous to describe it [cotton] as a mixture of your juice vapor and the steam off your just washed linen shirt as you iron it kinda wet. But I tend to taste things others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread