Beware untested e-smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Lou

Aug 8, 2010
Central NY
Letter written by Dr. Dennis W. Biggs Jr. to the Spokesman Review in Spokane, WA.
Spokesman.com | Beware untested e-smokes | October 7, 2010

excerpt
...Since no analysis and critical testing of the vaporized materials has been done, there is no telling what the short- and long-term effects of these chemicals might be...

Do you think we should mail him the CASAA pamphlets with links to the various studies, etc...?

James Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2010
DFW
I couldn't find a place to post a response. You know, to be honest I have to say I'm surprised more anti-s don't go that route, you know..."Here's my opinion, I don't want to here yours." I'm always surprised that someone can go to college, graduate, get letters after their name, and still be too stupid to figure out something as easy as 5 minutes research online.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sent this letter to the Editor:

Dr. Dennis W. Biggs Jr., M.D., in his letter of October 7, 2010 advised readers not to “smoke” electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) because he believes that they are untested.

Laboratory testing has been conducted on numerous brands. The prominent anti-smoking activist and tobacco researcher, Dr. Murray Laugesen conducted tests on the Ruyan brand of e-cigarettes in 2008 and reported, “The Ruyan® e-cigarette is designed to be a safe alternative to smoking, and appears to be safe in absolute terms on all measurements we have applied.”

ANALYZE, Inc. tested the njoy brand of e-cigarettes for the presence of carcinogens in 2009 and the report was reviewed by Ben Thomas Group. The conclusion reached was “there is no evidence that carcinogenic TSNAs are present in the aerosol from njoy electronic cigarettes. Thus, it is my conclusion that the TSNAs do not pose a health risk to the users of the electronic cigarettes distributed by njoy. These reports and others can be accessed from the web site of the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association (CASAA): CASAA.org

Virginia Commonwealth University conducted a clinical trail comparing the effects of two brands of electronic cigarettes with smoker’s regular brand and with sham smoking. Researchers concluded, “Under these acute testing conditions, neither of the electronic cigarettes exposed users to measurable levels of nicotine or CO, although both suppressed nicotine/tobacco abstinence symptom ratings.” http://www.casaa.org/files/Virgiania Commonwealth University Study.pdf

Heavner, et al found that 79% of e-cigarette consumers surveyed were using the devices as a complete replacement for all their smoked cigarettes. “The majority of respondents reported that their general health (91%), smoker’s cough (97%), ability to exercise (84%), and sense of smell (80%) and taste (73%) were better since using e-cigarettes and none reported that these were worse.” http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/wpapers/011v1.pdf

Had I continued smoking for the past 19 months instead of switching, I would still be kept awake at night by the sound of my wheezing and would still not be able to laugh out loud without breaking into a fit of coughing. Given the facts, perhaps Dr. Biggs would care to rethink his advice, which boils down to “Just keep smoking those regular tobacco cigarettes, folks.”

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
Award for the Worst Analogy 2010 goes to Dr. Dennis W. Biggs, Jr.
Would you drive up to a service station whose name you do not recognize and fill up your tank with a type of gasoline you never heard of before? The gasoline apparently had not been tested by any government service and was labeled only with “one, two, three.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread