Bewildered & Need Battery & Charger Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
I have been reading and studying tons of posts about batteries and safety and power and chargers and I am still so clueless that I decided to call on the experts here.

I want to buy my first-ever battery mod (going to go with Innokin's new Cool Fire IV 18650 75Watt mod) and I don't own any 18650 batteries or a charger. I don't know why or how to choose the correct/best/safest battery for this mod, button top? flat top? brand? Rationale?

I have read tons of Mooch's posts, other member posts, looked at charts, etc, etc, and I still have no idea. I also don't want to get stuck with a clone or a bad/wrong charger, etc. Also, do I need a multimeter? A volt-checker? Something else I'm missing?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for any & all help you can provide.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
As far as chargers go I will share my highly biased opinion: Avoid NiteCore. Someone else posted that there apparently is another recall on a NiteCore model - 2nd time they have had to do that.

Look at Xtar chargers as they have a long track record for making chargers that charge correctly - and don't need recalls. Most Xtar chargers come with a 2 year warranty if you buy them from an authorized dealer. Even if you never need to act on the warranty, a company that backs stuff with a two year warranty... actually expects it to last at least two years.

Reactions: DonnaVapes

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I'll make this as painless as I can, 25 amp rating, decent run time batteries, get at least two, LG 18650HD2 2000mAh 25A
Great charger, decent price, Xtar VC2 Plus Master
All from one store which saves on shipping and Randy is a very trusted and respected seller on this forum.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
As far as chargers go I will share my highly biased opinion: Avoid NiteCore. Someone else posted that there apparently is another recall on a NiteCore model - 2nd time they have had to do that.

Look at Xtar chargers as they have a long track record for making chargers that charge correctly - and don't need recalls. Most Xtar chargers come with a 2 year warranty if you buy them from an authorized dealer. Even if you never need to act on the warranty, a company that backs stuff with a two year warranty... actually expects it to last at least two years.

Thanks, Rickajho, I was reading about the Xtar today. Glad to know about the NiteCores not being as hyped. Now to figure out about the batteries I need before I invest in the mod I mentioned.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
I'll make this as painless as I can, 25 amp rating, decent run time batteries, get at least two, LG 18650HD2 2000mAh 25A
Great charger, decent price, Xtar VC2 Plus Master
All from one store which saves on shipping and Randy is a very trusted and respected seller on this forum.

Thanks, Sawlight, thank you for the battery recommendations and the respected seller, too! So these will work fine in the mod I want -- will they work in others (you can tell I know NOTHING about anything except regulated mods with built-in batteries) should I change my mind about which one I want? I saw a post from Mooch about fake HD2s today - I just need to trust that Randy didn't get any of those.

Are these flat top? Button top? Why would a person need one over the other or does it matter?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Thanks, Sawlight, thank you for the battery recommendations and the respected seller, too! So these will work fine in the mod I want -- will they work in others (you can tell I know NOTHING about anything except regulated mods with built-in batteries) should I change my mind about which one I want? I saw a post from Mooch about fake HD2s today - I just need to trust that Randy didn't get any of those.

Are these flat top? Button top? Why would a person need one over the other or does it matter?
With Randy you don't need to worry about fakes and IMR has resolved the fake battery issue, seems it was blown a little out of proportion.
Yes, they will work fine in that mod, they are rated at 25 amps, that mod, maxed out will only need around 21 amps and I doubt you ever max it out. They will also work fine in almost any mod you chose to get in the future.
Used to be you had to get button top batteries for some of the older mods, the Provari V1 and V2 specificly, because they were designed for specific batteries and the manufacture didn't want anyone to use something they didn't trust in them. Now days things have changed and I'm not aware of any of the current mods that require button top batteries.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
With Randy you don't need to worry about fakes and IMR has resolved the fake battery issue, seems it was blown a little out of proportion.
Yes, they will work fine in that mod, they are rated at 25 amps, that mod, maxed out will only need around 21 amps and I doubt you ever max it out. They will also work fine in almost any mod you chose to get in the future.
Used to be you had to get button top batteries for some of the older mods, the Provari V1 and V2 specificly, because they were designed for specific batteries and the manufacture didn't want anyone to use something they didn't trust in them. Now days things have changed and I'm not aware of any of the current mods that require button top batteries.

Thank you AGAIN! I sort of figured I wouldn't have to worry... I am fairly certain that I would NEVER max out the amps on any battery - I vape under 20 Watts almost always... just to stay safe & not burn up coils. I'm sure I can up the watts a bit on a more powerful mod, though, without problems.

Someone (fourthrok) in the forum recommended the Provari V2 - says she LOVES hers... so thanks for that info, as well. I pretty much decided that if the FDA is bringing on a Vapocalypse, that I needed to upgrade to some battery mods (all mine are like T-18s, MVP 3.0 Pro, Cool Fire IVs) to be prepared because I refuse to ever support Big Tobacco ever again but I need to vape to stay sane. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As Sawlight said, some mod manufacturers required button top batteries as a safety feature to avoid battery reversal issues. You don't want to put batteries in backwards.

I personally prefer button top batteries because its easier to tell the positive end from the negative end. But performance wise, there is no difference.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Provari makes a great mod! I still have one as well! Check out this page, it will save you a ton of cash! Specials of the week
But I don't think the batteries above will work in it, not 100% sure. Just buy a couple of batteries from Provape when you order the mod, then you know for sure it will fit!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Apparently you are unaware of the Xtar VP2 recall.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
In the button vs. flat top matter: You also need to be aware that some devices have oddly close tolerances when it comes to fitting batteries. For certain devices there is literally no spare room to accept that small amount of added length that a button top battery has and you won't get the battery compartment closed.

For a few things like a Provari 2.5 if they say they need/use button top batteries - as already noted they are doing that for a reason. A flat top battery will not make an electrical connection in a Provari 2.5

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Apparently you are unaware of the Xtar VP2 recall.

You mean because they got the plastic housing wrong?

VP2 Charger Recall: Xtar has notified us stating that the type of plastic used in the VP2 becomes brittle when cold, causing it to potentially break. They are in the process of sending replacements. If you recently ordered a VP2, you will be contacted with more information on how to return your charger for a replacement.

I can live with that. I also tend to not put my charger in the refrigerator.

The current NiteCore problem is regarding a fake charger that is electrically unsafe. But hey - if you want to buy a charger at the cheapest possible price off the likes of eBay - hope your insurance premiums are paid up. Even when they aren't fake NiteCore - hope your insurance premiums are paid up.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
As Sawlight said, some mod manufacturers required button top batteries as a safety feature to avoid battery reversal issues. You don't want to put batteries in backwards.

I personally prefer button top batteries because its easier to tell the positive end from the negative end. But performance wise, there is no difference.

Baditude - Thank you - this helps a lot and adds to my minuscule but growing knowledge of batteries. Glad there is no difference in performance with button top vs flat top - I wondered about that. Hopefully, they are marked clearly enough so I can tell the difference. :oops:

AND... thank you for your link to your blog post on Provaris. I knew NADA about them and have opened the blog entry for in-depth learning about them. One question did come up when looking into them yesterday, is it better to have the add-on to make an 18650 fit or better to buy the size that fits them without or does it matter?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The current NiteCore problem is regarding a fake charger that is electrically unsafe.
So your bias against Nitecore is because someone is making a counterfeit Nitecore charger that is electrically unsafe. How is that Nitecore's fault? o_O

I've been using a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 for nearly two years and haven't had any issues with it. I've had two Xtar chargers and had problems with both of them. I purchased the 6 bay charger because I was charging up to five 18350 batteries a day; this charger would not hold 18350 batteries in the slots without placing a book on top of the charger, they kept popping out. I bought a two bay 18350 charger which had to be returned because it was wired in reverse.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
"Better" is more of a subjective thing here than anything else. Do you want a small Provari? Do you like or dislike the added length? The performance will be the same, the difference being the longer run time you will get with the larger batteries.

A Provari mini uses 18350 length batteries. The extension cap allows you to use 18490/18500 length.

A regular Provari uses 18490/18500 length batteries. The extension cap allows you to use 18650 length.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...it better to have the add-on to make an 18650 fit or better to buy the size that fits them without or does it matter?
It doesn't matter, it depends upon what size batteries you will end up using. The Mini and Standard size Provari uses the same chip, the only difference is the size of the batteries used.

Standard size uses an 18490 IMR high-drain battery by default. With the optional battery extension cap ($25), you can use the larger 18650 battery. The shorter Mini Provari uses an 18350 battery; with the extension cap you can use the 18490 battery. Provape strongly recommends using only AW high drain IMR button top batteries.

1250x380_2_no_text_copy.png

o.jpg

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
So your bias against Nitecore is because someone is making a counterfeit Nitecore charger that is electrically unsafe. How is that Nitecore's fault? o_O

I've been using a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 for nearly two years and haven't had any issues with it. I've had two Xtar chargers and had problems with both of them. I purchased the 6 bay charger because I was charging up to five 18350 batteries a day; this charger would not hold 18350 batteries in the slots without placing a book on top of the charger, they kept popping out. I bought a two bay 18350 charger which had to be returned because it was wired in reverse.

This dance has been done before. It's because of the reports right here of Nitecores overcharging batteries, catching fire, exploding batteries, crapping out in short order and so on. You have had good luck with yours, but luck seems to come into play too heavily with NiteCore. Personally I wouldn't have one in the house. Then you have people coming on here, looking at glowing reports of how wonderful NiteCore chargers are - and running right off to the likes of eBay to buy one at the lowest possible price and "clone problem" happens.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
This dance has been done before. It's because of the reports right here of Nitecores overcharging batteries, catching fire, exploding batteries, crapping out in short order and so on. You have had good luck with yours, but luck seems to come into play too heavily with NiteCore. Personally I wouldn't have one in the house. Then you have people coming on here, looking at glowing reports of how wonderful NiteCore chargers are - and running right off the the likes of eBay to buy one at the lowest possible price and "clone problem" happens.

An unbiased search of the interwebs and one can find the same on Xtar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread