Bewildered & Need Battery & Charger Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
Hmmm........ like batteries, you two are at opposite ends of the poles. So, Rickajho & AzPlumber - you are both praising two different chargers and I'm still in a quandary, more now than before. My main and only concern is SAFETY and reliability. I have held off from buying battery mods because of fear of explosions, wrong types, wrong charger, wrong mod... I may be an 'elder' vaper but I still don't want to lose my hand, face or burn the house down.

If you both had to rate them on all counts: reliability, not over-charging your batteries, safety, guarantees, etc. would you still stick to your original posts here? Thank you for your deeply thoughtful input to my original questions, I would honestly be lost without your collective experience. I have come to love & rely on ECF information.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
The Nitecore or Xstar are both fine chargers and you wont have a problem with either. BUT if you really, really want to be .... about the "BEST" then buy the Pila, Pila IBC Charger But it's more expensive and you have to use those stupid spacers to charge different length batteries.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
I found a Nitecore D4 (2014 version) that charges all the various types [Compatible with: Li-ion / IMR / LiFePO4: 26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 18350, 16340 (RCR123), 14500, 10440 Ni-MH / Ni-Cd: AA, AAA, AAAA, C] for $30 -- (I just can't go $50 for the Pila)

Would this version be safe enough for charging any of the above listed batteries? It also has auto shut-off when charged (which I think is important). Is it necessary to have LiFePO4 capability?? I just don't have money to burn so prefer to invest in the best I can afford and try to get the right one, too. Thank you again!!!

Oh, just found the alternate possibility - same price except for needing to buy the ac adapter, too. Xtar VC4 so wondering if it would be equally as good or perhaps better? (other than not charging the LiFePO4s that I don't know if is important or not anyway). It's out of stock, though, so I added myself to the notify list.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
If you really think you need a four bay charger I promise this one will work just fine, Xtar VC4 Also from RTDvapors so you can bundle the batteries with it and save on shipping.
Please ignore the infighting, if you look hard enough you can find a problem with anything!

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
If you really think you need a four bay charger I promise this one will work just fine, Xtar VC4 Also from RTDvapors so you can bundle the batteries with it and save on shipping.
Please ignore the infighting, if you look hard enough you can find a problem with anything!

Well, my four-bay old time charger is getting my AA batteries hot and didn't finish charging them in 2 whole days, so it would serve dual duty - for my vaping batteries AND all my household goodies that need batteries. I will order from RTD but the Xtar VC4 is out of stock so I'll wait. Thank you again for all your advice & help, much appreciated by this vapin' grandma! You are right, digging deep enough, we discover that nothing is perfect.

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
my favorite batteries that I use consistently are (I rarely go higher than 50W on any build I do)

LG HG2
Samsung 30Q & 25R
Sony VTC 5

Actually these are the only batteries I have and use amongst my 20 or so mods.

Charger: Nitecore D4 & Xtar VC4

Prefer the Xtar over the Nitecore.

Thank you so much rice721, your faves follow the general consensus of 'best' batteries for vaping and the two best chargers,. The LG HG2 was highly recommended by many sources here & elsewhere (including you & Randy from RTD) so they are what I settled on. Since the Xtar was on backorder, I settled for the Nitecore D4 and hope it will serve me well, too. Got these from RTD even though Amazon had free shipping, I want to support quality vendors so "I bit the bullet" and paid S&H for them. (I'm really not so tight I squeak whilst walking, but close, my mom was raised during the depression and growing up with that mindset did affect me more than I want it to.)

Again, my sincerest thanks for everyone's time, energy, recommendations & help. I couldn't have done it without you! Now to find the best resource to get that CF 75W mod I'm wanting to buy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread